Author Topic: Evoluent Vertical Mouse 3 Wireless for $90 shipped  (Read 2987 times)

Offline jayray999

Evoluent Vertical Mouse 3 Wireless for $90 shipped
« on: Sun, 24 May 2009, 20:09:17 »
@ www.buydig.com. No sales tax except in NJ. Free shipping.

I like this vendor as long as I don't need to call them on the phone which is hardly ever. They do have a mandatory 10% restocking fee on returns. But any store that allows 'fee-less' returns will probably charge you an additional $15-20 in the first place.
"In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed and they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock."
Harry Lime (Orson Welles) :: The Third Man (1949)

Offline jayray999

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 May 2009, 12:13:39 »
Update: Note that the wireless version does not have adjustable resolution even though ostensibly it is the higher end model. So the trade-off seems to be:

$90 for wireless w/ fixed (1200dpi) res versus $69 for wired w/ adj. (2600/1800/ /1300/800 dpi) res.
"In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed and they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock."

Offline MANISH7

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 May 2009, 14:21:07 »
i'd go for the wired. wired mice are generally lighter and i like that. my v2 wired is the perfect weight for me.

second, i don't like changing batteries. even if you say its only every several months, in my limited experience with the one wireless mouse i had, the sensitivity would gradually reduce as the battery was losing its charge. that was annoying having to deal with a different sensitivity every week (for fine precision stuff like gaming). i don't know how much of that applies for this model.

third, my mouse & keyboard stays on the desktop. with good cable management, there's no disadvantage for me to have it wired. now if you use it in the living room or like to move around with the mouse & keyboard - then i could see a case for wireless. in my case, wireless was a waste and i had to deal with its disadvantages.

i also think that at $90 is too steep. $69.99 is the better value and i'd like to think that it can be had for a little cheaper. of course, in my case, i'm a lefty so i'm not looking for a v3.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=evoluent&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=2681747665&ref=pd_sl_5kpacighzh_b

looks like there are variations / copy cats / or different branding. goldtouch seems to be a familiar brand on this forum.

http://www.amazon.com/Evoluent-Vertical-Mouse-Corded-Right/dp/B001QD8R6E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1243538225&sr=8-3

but it seems like the DO NOT have a adjustable dpi. 2200 is just too fast for precise work. looks like you'll have to pay the extra $11 and get the evoluent branded, adjustable dpi version.

Offline jayray999

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 May 2009, 14:53:07 »
Manish, I just hate wires so I am trying to convince myself that the higher (adjustable) resolution is not such a big deal.

Correct me if I am wrong but can't I simulate low res through software. I mean when I reduce pointer speed the should handle the same way as a lower resolution. Of course I cannot simulate increased resolution beyond the sensor's hardware limit which is 1200dpi for the wireless Evoluent V3. But what is the use for such a high resolution except perhaps gaming?

Offline MANISH7

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 May 2009, 15:18:42 »
Quote from: jayray999;93164
I just hate wires

I see.

correct me if I am wrong but can't I simulate low res through software

I've never done that before. I figured you'd be annoyed to have to use software to constantly change DPI. For precision work 400 dpi is great but annoying for regular desktop use. At the same time, if you do go for the evoluent, you may have to use software anyway because I'm not sure if 800 dpi is slow enough for your needs of precision. If you're comfortable / aware of software to fix this need, then go for it!

I just read the specs for Evolunent wireless. 3 months battery life? That is NOT impressive at all and most definitely not for 90 bucks. If its sensitivity is affected by the charge of the battery, then I'd be especially annoyed.

Offline IBI

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 May 2009, 15:42:31 »
Correct me if I am wrong but can't I simulate low res through software. I mean when I reduce pointer speed the should handle the same way as a lower resolution. Of course I cannot simulate increased resolution beyond the sensor's hardware limit which is 1200dpi for the wireless Evoluent V3. But what is the use for such a high resolution except perhaps gaming?

You can simulate both, but as a general rule neither are perfect. High speed obviously suffers from skipping pixels but while low speed does go over every pixel the movement amount between alternating pixels must be slightly different, low speed is obviously a lot more tolerable. Of course, none of this applies if you use mouse acceleratiob.

1200dpi isn't particulaly fast, especially if you're running at a high resolution like 1920x1200, I can quite happily use 1600dpi for nomal desktop stuff on my 24".

Quote from: MANISH7;93168
I've never done that before. I figured you'd be annoyed to have to use software to constantly change DPI. For precision work 400 dpi is great but annoying for regular desktop use. At the same time, if you do go for the evoluent, you may have to use software anyway because I'm not sure if 800 dpi is slow enough for your needs of precision. If you're comfortable / aware of software to fix this need, then go for it!

Yeah, it puzzles me why more mice don't have DPI buttons.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.