Author Topic: Sip socket with switch stickers problem and solution  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Thechemist

Sip socket with switch stickers problem and solution
« on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 12:09:51 »
Since not all stickers are made in one place nor do they use the same material or thickness, small variances may cause this issue to be noticed more or less. Also not every switch had this problem due to how the sticker adjusted to the sip sockets.

Photoelectric brought up a good point, putting the sticker on top of the sip sockets and after the switch is closed use the led to move them back into place.

The switch cover top tab will hold the sticker in place once the switch is closed so when you insert the led to adjust the sip sockets prior to soldering the sticker pushes down versus back in to the switch towards the stem.

**I have tried this only on sip sockets that were removed from their plastic housing, I cannot confirm if putting the sticker on top of sip sockets that had their housing trimmed to fit in with the tab will work.**

I found removing the sip sockets from the plastic was the best solution.

courtesy of swill

This way you don't have to sand the sip socket housing for the thickness nor do you have to worry about tab in the top switch cover.

courtesy of skcheng

courtesy of Photoelectric

I did find a problem when trying to put stickers and sip sockets together.

Because sip sockets are thicker than led legs, they bow/separate the sticker out so that the inner part touches the back of the stem which will cause it to stick a little or a lot depending on the bow and the stem.

I did find a solution to the problem and it was to pre cut the sticker so when you pull it off from the sheet the inner part stays with the middle. This would perhaps be a good adjustment on the next sticker production.

You may not notice that the sticker is touching the stem on a brown or red switch but you will on a white / blue / green switch when the sticker is stopping the bottom portion of the stem to properly come back up.

If you are having problems closing the switch and the sip sockets are going in to the switch and interfering with the top cover tab, just use your nail to push the legs on the outside of the switch inwards towards the center of the switch causing the other side to move closer to the outer wall of the switch, clearing the top cover tab.

« Last Edit: Wed, 16 July 2014, 15:59:47 by Thechemist »

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: Sip socket with switch stickers problem and solution
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 22:45:44 »
Thank you for your insight on this! I wish I read this before actually trying it and failing on my own lol. Just curious, what is the tool you are using to trim the plastic from the metal on the SIP sockets? Also, how long does it take per pair of SIP sockets to strip?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 11:18:37 »
Thank you for your insight on this! I wish I read this before actually trying it and failing on my own lol. Just curious, what is the tool you are using to trim the plastic from the metal on the SIP sockets? Also, how long does it take per pair of SIP sockets to strip?

I use a pair of normal sidecutters by swanstrom that work well. I get a tupperware box that some ham came in and do everything in there so they don't go flying. I can cut up a whole keyboards' worth in about 0.5 episodes of anime.

my method scratches them a little as the cutters slide off the sip socket but is really fast. If you try you'll quickly develop your own solution.

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 15:05:04 »

I use a pair of normal sidecutters by swanstrom that work well. I get a tupperware box that some ham came in and do everything in there so they don't go flying. I can cut up a whole keyboards' worth in about 0.5 episodes of anime.

my method scratches them a little as the cutters slide off the sip socket but is really fast. If you try you'll quickly develop your own solution.

I do the same but I found out if you cut 1/3 of the way on the plastic instead of the middle it cuts just enough to slip the socket out and it won't scratch them.