Author Topic: Is building a laptop feesable?  (Read 1142 times)

Offline roaming pear

• THE Roaming Pear
Is building a laptop feesable?
« on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 05:45:50 »
Hello, I was just googling how much it would cost to make your own laptop and I didn't find much on first few links and didn't continue much further, but i nthose first links, I came across an Asus barebones laptop that costs about 600 or so dollars.  I'm thinking you can buy a laptop or a full windows 8 tablet for that price.  I know people may have done this in the past, but does anyone really make their own laptops anymore when you might be able to find better deals just getting a ready made laptop?
Does anyone have any accessories or key caps or other poker 2 related things lying around that they are not using?  I don't mind taking it off your hands if you no longer want it...

Offline bear95

Re: Is building a laptop feesable?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 06:57:33 »
I thought about building a laptop too but in the end just bought a prebuilt one. Poor battery life and large size for limited customisability isnt worth it imo. Price wasnt that much different either too if you find a decent prebuilt one. Better to find a prebuilt one with a decent screen cpu and gpu and the option to upgrade storage and ram later on.

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 07:36:10 »
Quite a lot of barebones systems do exist for laptops (these are what system integrators like cyberpower or xotic use for their custom laptops) and the parts to install in them are available however they can be difficult to source. I had looked at building my own before I bought my current laptop and I could have bought all the parts for about £50 - £100 more than I paid for it from the custom builder I bought it from. The necessary parts are coming down (for the things I've looked at at least) but in most cases you will need to at least buy a pre-made chassis with maybe 2 or 3 (at best) choices of screens. Wait a year or two and the options may be a bit broader.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 08:04:37 »
Get about 5 laptops together and you can build a good one.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS