Author Topic: Available Thick PBT Blank Keysets?  (Read 1881 times)

Offline ihatefirewalls

Available Thick PBT Blank Keysets?
« on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 15:59:39 »
Hi Geekhack,

I've been a lurker here for a bit now and decided to make my first post. I just ordered a KUL ES-87 with Reds and would like to replace the keycaps with a set of thick PBT blanks. The only sets I've been able to find are the Navy Leopolds from korea on Ebay and the Blacks on Originative. (I know SP also offers DSA PBT keys but I'd prefer more common OEM/Cherry profile keys)

I'm looking for a simple bi-color layout with Blue Modifiers and White Alphanumeric keys. (Similar to http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48219.0)

Are there any other thick blank PBT keysets still available that you guys know of?

Thanks a lot!

Edited: Due to misinformation. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 July 2014, 16:28:00 by ihatefirewalls »

Offline tbc

Re: Available Thick PBT Blank Keysets?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 16:04:55 »
just fyi, DCS is not the same as Cherry profile.

There is no such thing as thick DCS PBT commonly or uncommonly available.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 16:17:13 »
mechanicalkeyboards.com has a couple of thick PBT sets from Ducky

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline ihatefirewalls

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 16:22:28 »
just fyi, DCS is not the same as Cherry profile.

There is no such thing as thick DCS PBT commonly or uncommonly available.

EDIT: Nm, I wasn't aware that SP's DCS keys were not OEM. Thanks for the correction.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 July 2014, 16:24:18 by ihatefirewalls »

Offline ihatefirewalls

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 16:26:18 »
EDIT: Dbl Post

Offline TBone

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 16:26:58 »
Ivan has a groupbuy for Thick Black Cherry PBT keycaps that's over, but you might be able to pick up a set. I might sell mine to get the printed set instead once I see how both turn out. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50935.0;topicseen

I bet you could pick up a set once they ship in a month or two.

You might be out of luck until then.

Offline ihatefirewalls

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 16:29:45 »
Ivan has a groupbuy for Thick Black Cherry PBT keycaps that's over, but you might be able to pick up a set. I might sell mine to get the printed set instead once I see how both turn out. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50935.0;topicseen

I bet you could pick up a set once they ship in a month or two.

You might be out of luck until then.

Thanks! I've already found sets of dark blue/black but was hoping to find additional colors. I'll definitely check it out though! Thank you!

Offline tbc

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 16:30:35 »
okay....this is going to confuse alot of people if i don't get it all straight now.

there are several main profiles tallest to shortest:

SA

OEM

CHERRY

DCS

DSA

they're all distinct from each other.  although cherry and dcs are very similiar.  so much so that people like to use them as synonyms.  that is completely the wrong thing to do though.

cherry and oem are not the same thing either.

alos, leopold has it's own profile from what i'm told, but someone else will have to confirm or deny.

you're going to want to look for the ducky 'premier' series to get thick OEM pbt.  be careful though, ducky also has a line of thin OEM pbt keycaps as well.  basically, if the keyset has one tone (letters and mods have the same color), then it is thin.  if it has two tones, then it is thick.

to get thick cherry pbt, you're going to want imsto.  geekkeys generally has imsto pbt and imsto himself has a vendor forum here.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 July 2014, 16:34:58 by tbc »
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline ihatefirewalls

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 16:54:21 »
okay....this is going to confuse alot of people if i don't get it all straight now.

there are several main profiles tallest to shortest:

SA

OEM

CHERRY

DCS

DSA

they're all distinct from each other.  although cherry and dcs are very similiar.  so much so that people like to use them as synonyms.  that is completely the wrong thing to do though.

cherry and oem are not the same thing either.

alos, leopold has it's own profile from what i'm told, but someone else will have to confirm or deny.

you're going to want to look for the ducky 'premier' series to get thick OEM pbt.  be careful though, ducky also has a line of thin OEM pbt keycaps as well.  basically, if the keyset has one tone (letters and mods have the same color), then it is thin.  if it has two tones, then it is thick.

to get thick cherry pbt, you're going to want imsto.  geekkeys generally has imsto pbt and imsto himself has a vendor forum here.

Thanks for the explanation, that's very helpful.

I checked on geekkeys/imsto but no blanks atm. I also sent out emails to see if there was any ETA on availability. I guess I just need to play the waiting game for now.