Author Topic: Moving from fullsized to smaller keyboards  (Read 2556 times)

Offline sakai4eva

Moving from fullsized to smaller keyboards
« on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 03:40:02 »
What do you guys miss?

I'm using an ergodox now after moving from fullsized and TKLs, and I'm wondering what keys do you guys usually miss when moving from bigger boards to smaller ones.

Would be great if you can include what you usually use the board for and maybe some layout history as well :)

As for me, I usually game, work (accountant), and well, make extensively irrelevant writeups on forums, and I miss my function keys (F2, and everything else for dota...), numpad (compensated with a GHpad), and arrow keys + nav cluster(if I ever move to an actual 60%).

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
Re: Moving from fullsized to smaller keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 04:14:28 »
Moving from an old Steelseries 7G to my CODE keyboard was pretty disturbing at the beginning.

Steelseries 7G :
   - Size : 105-key (full size)
   - Physical layout : ISO
   - Logical layout : French AZERTY

WASD CODE :
   - Size : 87-key (tenkeyless)
   - Physical layout : ANSI

As long as I do not look at my CODE keyboard, I can trust it !

I'm really missing my key for "<>".  When I need it, I have to use this accessibility feature called "On-Screen Keyboard" - it's kinda funny  ;D
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 July 2014, 04:18:19 by Lpwl »

Offline divito

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 04:18:53 »
While I own a Poker II, I haven't used it for daily purposes as of yet, so I can't speak to that yet. However, knowing my habits, I use arrows and the 6-keys a ton, so that would be quite hampered without changing and adapting a decent amount. And from moving to TKL from full-size, I sort of miss my num pad, just because it's so much faster and convenient than the alternative.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 04:55:11 »
While I own a Poker II, I haven't used it for daily purposes as of yet, so I can't speak to that yet. However, knowing my habits, I use arrows and the 6-keys a ton, so that would be quite hampered without changing and adapting a decent amount. And from moving to TKL from full-size, I sort of miss my num pad, just because it's so much faster and convenient than the alternative.
Yeah... missing those keys on my ergo... kinda forced to map certain keys to it although I know they could be used elsewhere :)
Moving from an old Steelseries 7G to my CODE keyboard was pretty disturbing at the beginning.

Steelseries 7G :

WASD CODE :

I'm really missing my key for "<>".  When I need it, I have to use this accessibility feature called "On-Screen Keyboard" - it's kinda funny  ;D

Was wondering why you are having troubles with those keys, then I saw AZERTY. :D

Offline coeurdefilou

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 05:02:10 »

Steelseries 7G :

WASD CODE :

You could switch it with the ², I don't think you need it anyway.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 05:06:29 »
Nothing. '^'
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 05:32:46 »
Moving from 108 key Ducky to TKL, I missed the numpad for entering IP addresses, and at first I missed the numpad Enter.

Moving from TKL to HHKB I miss the arrow keys.  I'd probably miss the function keys too, if I did much that needed them.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 08:19:02 »
Full-size to TKL.  I immediately missed the numpad.  However, at the time I was doing A LOT of work in Excel.

TKL to 60%.  I missed the F row and arrow keys but after customizing the function layers and macros, it's all gravy.  Mmm...gravy...

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 08:45:05 »
I've been primarily a laptop user since 1996 and I think that helped condition myself to use smaller keyboards. When I made the switch to the Mac, I ended up trying the Apple BT keyboard and found it to be an easy transition.

After switching to mechanicals a couple of years ago, I ended up landing on the 60% layout and never looked back. I did find the F row and Arrow keys a bit of an adjustment, like infiniti said previously, but I don't even think about it now.

Granted, most of my day is spent typing e-mails, proposals, presentations, etc. HTML and CSS is done in a text editor, so I don't feel like I'm missing any keys. Your keyboard usage may be different.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 08:48:32 »
For my work, I have to have a numberpad. At home, I don't need one so I don't use full size boards at home. I don't have any issue switching between a TKL/60% and a Full Size. It might also be due to the fact that I've got the boards in different places so it's easier for me to keep them separate in my head.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 08:56:41 »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

A side question about ergonomics; if you aren't using the keypad to navigate around, do you move your pointing hand a lot from the keyboard to mouse? Otherwise, how do you navigate your cursor around?

Offline D01

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 09:00:34 »
From a full size to a tkl I miss nothing.  From a tkl to a 60% I miss the arrow keys.

My favorite layout is to have a tkl keyboard, mouse on the right, number pad on the left.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 July 2014, 09:03:00 by D01 »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 09:03:34 »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

A side question about ergonomics; if you aren't using the keypad to navigate around, do you move your pointing hand a lot from the keyboard to mouse? Otherwise, how do you navigate your cursor around?

I use the arrow function row (WASD) on my Poker quite a bit and the tab key as much as possible. However, I have a trackpad right next to me that I use quite a lot.

In fact, that was one of the appeals of 60% -- that the mouse/trackpad could be closer to the keyboard. I was starting to have should issues having to reach past the number pad to reach it.

Offline D01

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 09:10:50 »
^^ That is why I now loath a full size keyboard.  I used a tkl at work for a few weeks, and until I brought in a full size again I didn't fully realize how nice it is to not reach for the mouse.

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 09:45:54 »
Kind of the other way around. I am using a Poker 2 for months now and before I used a Pure Pro. I really miss having the Esc key on the number row whenever I am using a bigger keyboard. It feels so wrong when it is all the way up there.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 09:59:51 »
Whenever I move from 2100/100%/TKL -> 60%, I only really miss the navigation cluster getting the entire function row and prt sc, scroll and pause via FN doesn't bother me at all, just sometimes I find myself reaching for home or end and there's nothing there  :))

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 10:04:26 »
I just moved from a full keyboard to a Poker II and I miss nothing. The functionality and program-ability of this board makes everything a breeze.

Poker II

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 10:26:26 »
I use 75% (TypeMatrix 2030, Noppoo Choc Mini, thinkpad keyboards) and symmetrical ergonomic keyboards (ErgoDox, my 120key Access-IS keypad).

I usually miss dedicated Insert and Menu keys, because I prefer to use Control/Shift + Insert for copypasta (GNU/Linux user) and Menu is nice, when I don't want to reach for a pointing device, but can't remember some hotkeys/shortcuts.

I sometimes miss quotation marks, brackets and similar symbols present on the "cropped" keys that aren't present on my symmetrical ergonomic layouts (on ErgoDox or the POS keypad). It's only a matter of getting used to pressing a modifier to access an extra layer though, and then it's actually much nicer than reaching for those keys, and especially much nicer than reaching for the other frequent keys like Shift or Esc.

Nothing to do with moving to smaller keyboards, but I occasionally use some vintage keyboard, usually full-size, but winkeyless. Then I miss AltGr in the spot right under my thumb. As a Colemak user, I miss Backspace in the Caps Lock spot on ordinary QWERTY keyboards too.

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 10:39:39 »
I'm making the transition from fullsize to a TKL and the thing I miss the most if the number pad enter. I am a pretty huge gamer so I've learned how to be proficient enough with my left hand for most typing/shortcuts/etc that it has always been more comfortable to do the majority of the typing with my left hand and just hitting enter with my right thumb either still on the mouse or on its way back to the mouse. I'm hoping this Phantom I am in the process of building will let me have the best of both worlds. I also miss the rest of the number pad for IP entry, extra keys to bind shortcuts/macros to in game, and changing numeric values in games/config files. It was super convenient to be able to swap between the arrow keys and the number pad for.

Offline cribbit

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 11:17:04 »
15 minutes a day of small changes makes switching over easy. I'm currently switching to colemak.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 11:21:45 »
Hmmm... although the consensus is that having a smaller keyboard is a small adjustment, is there anyone that moved to a smaller keyboard, didn't like it and returned back to a larger keyboard?

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 21:16:11 »
Hmmm... although the consensus is that having a smaller keyboard is a small adjustment, is there anyone that moved to a smaller keyboard, didn't like it and returned back to a larger keyboard?

I loved my 60% for a while, eventually I didn't like the layout. I'm back on tkl until I get my lightsaver. MX Mini looks like something in my future.

Offline cribbit

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 21:41:41 »
Personally, the only advantage of 60% is portability. If you're not actually carrying it anywhere, there's no real point. Since I plan to take mine between classes, home and work, I'd need the 60%.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 21:51:53 »
Personally, the only advantage of 60% is portability. If you're not actually carrying it anywhere, there's no real point. Since I plan to take mine between classes, home and work, I'd need the 60%.

That's why I got a jd40. :D

Offline teedotohhh

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 23:00:13 »

I've heard it's also a bit more ergonomic not having the extra keys (numpad) in between the keyboard and mouse. I'm looking into getting into the Mechanical Keyboard game with a TKL and maybe picking up an external numpad. Just in case i really miss it.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 23:09:12 »
I game, do graphic design, and type on forums.

Went from using full size my entire life to only 60%s.

I miss arrows because it takes me an extra half second to hit fn but I'm used to it.
I miss having a print screen button but I always figure the fn command out.

60% is worth the switch. The size is perfect and the look is amazing and cute.

Offline EpicSNES

• how do i keyboard
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 07:53:05 »
Switching from Fullsize to TKL was easy.

I just switched to a 60% (Poker 2) and honestly I'm missing the F keys. I know I can do FN+1 (etc) but I'm not used to it yet. I'm sort of thinking I made a mistake but maybe I just need more time with it. Also, I really wish arrow cluster was on IJKL instead of WASD.

Filco Tenkeyless mx blue

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 10:24:17 »
Nothing. Seriously nothing at all. All of the keys that exists on fullsize are bound to FN layer on the Poker II, and for the little-to-no use they have, i can summon their funcitons using the FN layer. Once you get the trick, it's faster to FN-summon these keys rather than moving your right hand to the rightmost section of your board, for a single key like home or delete. F-row keys are bound to number so, that is perfect for the little time you get to use them.

Only thing i'd say could be missing is a numpad, just because numeric-heavy operations are faster when skilled with it. Also, using WinSplitRevolution, numpad shortcuts are real fast, but they can be rebound so whatever.

Getting a 60% totally changed the way i work with computers and it's simply a never look-back for anything that a fullsize can bring up versus a 60% can simply be programmed (Poker II advantage here).

Honestly, i believe it's a flawless adaptation to a newer era where 40% of the board as been rendered "obselete" for newer operating systems favor users that doesn't use these keys at all. Even with the newest Linux such as Arch, 60% still works flawlessly and i don't feel like the workflow is being crippled by the missing keys, even tough you could be using a very F-row-heavy workflow.

Long live 60%.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX