Author Topic: typewriter key cap painting suggestions  (Read 1335 times)

Offline littlemisstart

typewriter key cap painting suggestions
« on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 10:34:08 »
hey guys :)

ive been looking through this website for quite some time now and have learned a ton about customization. my current project is refurbishing a typewriter and have found that many of the techniques suggested by users are highly applicable.

my problem is that my typewriter comes with ugly grey plastic key caps. my plan is to paint the key caps white, use dry transfer lettering, and cover them in a clear coating. many users suggest that painting plastic key caps is not advisable, but i find that this is my only option considering the look i want to achieve.

do any of you have any solutions to extend the life of my paint job? thanks for any help you can give.

Offline nkzt

• DIY dye-sub explorer
    • Keycap DIY
Re: typewriter key cap painting suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 04:59:37 »
How about a laser engraving machine? You can buy it under $1000 at aliexpress.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: typewriter key cap painting suggestions
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 05:28:09 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Could you post a picture of the switches and underneath of the keycaps please?

You never know - someone here might know of some replacement keycaps that might make things a bit easier!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ