Author Topic: How about a official geekhack keyboard?  (Read 21588 times)

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
How about a official geekhack keyboard?
« on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 12:22:20 »
I had some correspondence with Costar, and it seems we could get unbranded FILCO boards with MX switches (brown or blue) and N-key rollover for just 50 USD (shipping included if I got it correct). LED color etc. would be to our liking (red, green or blue iirc). Thing is, we have to order 100 boards or more...

So, as they are unbranded anyway, how about a official geekhack keyboard? Read: Ordering 100 boards (I`d suggest blue switches and blue LEDs), adding the geekhack logo in form of a sticker or emblem, and selling em here... Actually I planed to order some on my own, some to keep, some to sell. But I don't have enough money for 100 boards, so I got this idea. What do you think?

Offline IBI

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 12:31:48 »
Well going for an ISO 105 key layout would make the most sense, as it's a lot easier to ignore a key than to work without one you normally do, but how many of the Americans on here would be happy with a keyboard with a different enter key than they're used to and symmetrical shift keys?

Also, would this be a full sized or tenkeyless board? I know there's a few people on here (including me) who won't touch anything with a numpad, perhaps one of Strongman's left-handed keyboards would be the best compromise? (ideally with the cursor keys block flipped so that delete was closer to the alpha keys). I don't know what the build quality is like on that though.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline Manyak

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 12:43:46 »
I'd be in for a board, and if you are seriously going to do this I bet I could get a few others through some computer forums I visit (if there aren't enough people interested here).
Currently Owned:
Filco FKBN104MC/EB - Model M 1390131 \'86 - Model M 1391401 NIB - Unicomp Endurapro NIB - iRocks KR-6230 - Compaq MX-11800 - Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 - Cherry ML-4100 - Cherry MY-8000-something - Dell AT101W (Black) - ABS M1 - Siig Minitouch - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys NIB - Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 - Deck Legend

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 13:05:27 »
Quote from: IBI;93537
Well going for an ISO 105 key layout would make the most sense, as it's a lot easier to ignore a key than to work without one you normally do, but how many of the Americans on here would be happy with a keyboard with a different enter key than they're used to and symmetrical shift keys?

Also, would this be a full sized or tenkeyless board? I know there's a few people on here (including me) who won't touch anything with a numpad, perhaps one of Strongman's left-handed keyboards would be the best compromise? (ideally with the cursor keys block flipped so that delete was closer to the alpha keys). I don't know what the build quality is like on that though.

This offer was for full size + ANSI...
So basically a unbranded Majestouch FKBN104M/EB!

Quote from: ripster;93541
Well, I wouldn't want to be the Geekhacker coordinating all of this - $5,000 buy is some serious money...
Well, of course it could be sold with some win as 50 USD is less than half the price of a regular FKBN104M/EB.
Plus, with the geekhack logo it would be some sort of limited (100 pcs) edition! ;)

...somebody would have to be interested in multiple boards to hit that 100 board minimum (assuming we could agree on the LED color - :fencing:).
Sign me in for 4 or 5 boards, regardless of the LED color (changing the LEDs takes 5-15 mins. depending on your solder iron skills).
But yes, it will be hard to get 100 ppl together :/

Interesting though, blows up my theory of Filco having an exclusive design.
Exclusive? Whats about the ABS board?
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 May 2009, 13:07:59 by TheSoulhunter »

Offline ironcoder

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 13:12:25 »
Yeah but if you can get 25 people to buy 4 it doesn't sound so bad!
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 13:14:19 »
Oh, something I forgot to mention... We could also get a cheaper variant (25 USD) with white or black ALPS and without N-key rollover. So basically a unbranded ABS M1! =)

Offline lal

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 13:15:47 »
Not interested in 104/105 key model, only tenkeyless.  Would take two for this price (50$).  I'd prefer logoless.  This would save us from endless discussions about what logo, where to put it et cetera.  Stealth FTW!
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline pmyshkin

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 13:16:21 »
Quote from: TheSoulhunter;93535
But I don't have enough money for 100 boards, so I got this idea.

Does this mean that we would have to give you the money first? No offense intended but from my perspective I have no idea who you are and no guarantee that you won't just run off with the money. Considering elitekeyboards is selling these at $115 a pop, this does sound like one of those too good to be true scams ...

Again, I'm not actively accusing you of trying to scam anyone. I would just need some kind of guarantee to participate in this.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 13:45:11 »
Quote from: pmyshkin;93552
Does this mean that we would have to give you the money first? No offense intended but from my perspective I have no idea who you are and no guarantee that you won't just run off with the money. Considering elitekeyboards is selling these at $115 a pop, this does sound like one of those too good to be true scams ...

Again, I'm not actively accusing you of trying to scam anyone. I would just need some kind of guarantee to participate in this.

No, actually I just wanted to share this info and my idea with you...
Imo it would be best if someone trusted like the forum owner (if they are sold here as official geekhack keyboard) or maybe majestouch (he runs elitekeyboards, right?) would do it!?

For the "too good to be true" part:

Something like this is quite normal afaik. Its, Producer -> You -vs- Producer -> Diatec/Filco -> Elitekeyboards -> You...
It`s similar with the tungsten-carbide rings I sell. Imported from china for 3-5 USD, sold for 30+ USD in EU/USA.
In the end its always about finding the original manufacturer of a product and writing a email.
If you don't believe me, feel free to write a email to costar (sales@costar.com.tw) and ask em! ;)

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 13:49:05 »
o.O White ALPS?  25 USD?  (NKRO doesn't matter to me as long as it's like 3KRO)

:starts stacking $1 coins:

(strikes what I said here after the OP said basically the same stuff while I was writing it)

(And does the price include postage?  I'd be unsurprised to see that the $25 white-ALPS keyboard exists, but will sit on a dock in Guangdong forever)

It might be an interesting venture for EliteKeyboards-- if they can do it without pissing off Filco, they could offer "Filco-Like Generic" at half the price.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 13:55:29 »
A logoless tenkeyless with blank keys Filco with blues would be seriously bad ass. You could sell 200 or them today.
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 May 2009, 13:57:37 by xsphat »

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 13:59:53 »
Quote from: Hak Foo;93561
It might be an interesting venture for EliteKeyboards-- if they can do it without pissing off Filco, they could offer "Filco-Like Generic" at half the price.
Maybe logoless with ALPS + blank keycaps (probably the same price, maybe even cheaper).
Wouldn't "interference" too much with existing Filco products but would be a nice addition to the product list! :)

Offline pmyshkin

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 14:01:23 »
Quote from: TheSoulhunter;93558
Imo it would be best if someone trusted like the forum owner (if they are sold here as official geekhack keyboard) or maybe majestouch (he runs elitekeyboards, right?) would do it!?

That's a good idea.

Now that I look at my previous post it seemed unfairly suspicious. Sorry about that.

I would be in for an unbranded filco. I really don't care about the logo or LED colors.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 14:02:44 »
Although I think a geekhack-branded keyboard would be incredibly cool, there is no way we'd be able to come to a consensus on the switch type, key layout, or even LED color.  (and, as mentioned, many people here prefer tenkeyless)

The beauty of geekhack is that everyone has different tastes, needs, requirements, etc.  If we all could be satified by the same model of keyboard, geekhack could simply be a static link to where to purchase such a 'board.  :)

Might be a better idea to design some different style geekhack labels for a variety of keyboards, and let the membership "re-brand" their current favorites.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 16:08:44 »
I'd buy a little Geekhack logo for the bottom left side of my HHKB Pro 2 if it was a perfect fit.

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 16:51:47 »
For branding, why not pre-install a red escape key?

Offline wheel83

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 17:25:15 »
I would buy 1 tenkeyless blue board. And I would use a white, black, or red logo on my keyboards. Thats about it though.
I <3 BS

Offline IBI

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 18:06:01 »
Quote from: TheSoulhunter;93547
This offer was for full size + ANSI...
So basically a unbranded Majestouch FKBN104M/EB!

I'm sure they'd do any standard layout if you asked, they're already making an EU version of the keyboard for steelseries after all (at least, I assume they are, it never really took off here so it's a little hard to find decent illustrative shots of it). I don't know if the price would go up though.

Apart from the practical reason that ANSI can be mapped onto ISO but ISO won't fit on ANSI, there is also the fact that this costar board is already availible in the ANSI layout while it's only availible with the unpopular linear MXs in ISO. So if you were to get it in ANSI you'd be excluding those who wanted the other layout, whereas if you were to get it in ISO layout those who wanted the ANSI layout could pick up a filco and replace the logo. As geekhack is for discussing and sharing knowledge about good keyboards bringing a good design to those who can't currently get it would be more appropriate for a geekhack keyboard.

(the fact that I'm in the UK has nothing to do with this, honestly! :biggrin:)

Quote from: xsphat;93571
I'd buy a little Geekhack logo for the bottom left side of my HHKB Pro 2 if it was a perfect fit.

Actually special edition geekhack replacement windows keys for the more popular keyboards would be pretty cool. I don't know what we'd put on them though, perhaps "I care".

I know what would appeal to the geek half of the audience: Windows keys printed with an image (line drawing) of the keyboard they're attached to, fractal keyboards!
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 18:06:36 »
Would the keyboard be black?  Kind of getting tired of all these same-old rebranded costar boards that are all black.  White would be cool or grey like those industrial IBMs, etc.

I'm fine with either 104 or 105 layout...wonder if they could do a combo...104-style enter key with short left shift of 105.  I just hate the big enter key of olde (and on those steelseries ones, what a fail)
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 May 2009, 18:11:47 by D-EJ915 »

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 18:40:24 »
That's a lot of keyboards :)

This is a fun thread, kind of reminds me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWymXNPaU7g

Offline IBI

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 19:02:07 »
Quote from: majestouch;93604
This is a fun thread, kind of reminds me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWymXNPaU7g

I think this one would be more appropriate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIOqOxI0K_I

Offline chimera15

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 01 June 2009, 04:34:05 »
I'm in if it's a black or white alps keyboard with black blank keycaps for the letter keys, and red writing for numbers and function keys. Hehe

If it's $25 I'll take 2 or maybe even 3.  I'll strip em and outfit all my mini's. lol
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 01 June 2009, 07:32:06 »
For whatever it's worth, I would take a Cherry brown version with whatever LED color.  I'm not picky.

Offline iMav

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 01 June 2009, 10:42:57 »
Quote from: ripster;93607
I'm like iMav, an Air Force brat.

How did you know I was an Air Force brat???  :)

Offline iMav

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 01 June 2009, 11:12:00 »
I had known I mentioned my brief Air Force career (and deployment to the Middle East during the first Gulf War)...I had forgotten I had mentioned anything about being an Air Force brat.

Offline iMav

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 01 June 2009, 11:17:09 »
Quote from: webwit;93702
And the tattoos??
Guess I'll have to take away eherzog's webcam again.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 01 June 2009, 11:26:00 »
Quote from: iMav;93703
Guess I'll have to take away eherzog's webcam again.

Again?!?!?

Offline Mercen_505

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 01 June 2009, 11:53:36 »
I'd definitely be interested in seeing a full size, ANSI, white alps keyboard.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 01 June 2009, 12:31:56 »
jesus I haven't seen bloodninja chat logs since the AYB meme started gaining speed

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 03 June 2009, 14:47:37 »
That sounds great! I don't really care about the LED color but as long as it uses blue cherries then I'm grab one.
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 03 June 2009, 19:24:13 »
I'd be interested in either Blue Cherries or White Alps.  As long as it makes people in the next room know I'm typing.

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 04 June 2009, 00:16:26 »
As far as I know, Diatec has *many* proprietary FILCO specific processes that make FILCO keyboards unique and are only for Diatec products. If the OP is able to secure the proffered product, the keyboards would more likely resemble current offerings from other manufacturers that sell keyboards with a similar appearance - outside AND inside.

I cannot divulge more than this, but when something sounds too good to be true - buyer beware.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 04 June 2009, 07:09:21 »
Small update:

I asked if they could send me 2 review samples, they agreed.
1x blue Cherrys, 1x with brown Cherrys,
both with N-key rollover, each for 50 USD (shipping included)
I`ll report back when/if they arrive! :)

Offline ironcoder

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 04 June 2009, 08:27:12 »
Somebody could probably make a lot of money renting try-out keyboards. Everybody who doesn't already know the difference between all these boards wants to buy the right one and how can they do that without trying many? You can do research but you have to be lucky. I'm still trying to figure out what I should get.

The shipping would make it not worthwhile though.
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 04 June 2009, 10:36:28 »
Quote from: ripster;94160
Samples!!  You must be one smooth talker.

I need a few blue cherry ones!

I used to do that trick with Caig electronic cleaners - they used to send out free samples until they wised up.

Crack those suckers open when you get them - I'm curious what they look like.

Sure thing! ;)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 04 June 2009, 10:37:18 »
Don't mess them up too bad in case you have to send them back.

Offline Idiot_Hacker

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 04 June 2009, 16:36:08 »
Can we get purple LEDs?  Also, make sure the LEDs are not blindness-inducing bright LEDs.  I would like the keyboard with blank keys and brown switches
Too many Model Ms to count
Cherry G80-3000LSCRC-2
Compaq MX11800
Dell AT101W
IBM Ultranav
Logitech G15 Version 1
Logitech DiNovo Edge

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 10 June 2009, 02:18:25 »
Here's what the Geekhack keyboard should have:

16 Buckling Spring keys
16 Cherry MX Blue keys
16 Cherry MX Brown keys
16 Topre Capacitive keys
16 Alps White keys
16 Alps Black keys

The layout should have half of a numpad.

It should have N-key rollover, and PS/2, USB, and bluetooth connections all in one device.

The case should be 1/3 black, 1/3 white, 1/3 brown.

The keys should be colored in a scheme involving:

16 black blank
16 white blank
16 black black
16 black white
16 white black
16 cream black

There should be the following LED colors:

Caps lock LED: red
Num lock LED: green
Bluetooth LED: blue
Scroll lock LED: purple

There should be a TrackPoint.

Did I miss anything?

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 10 June 2009, 09:04:30 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;95123

16 Buckling Spring keys
16 Cherry MX Blue keys
16 Cherry MX Brown keys
16 Topre Capacitive keys
16 Alps White keys
16 Alps Black keys

It should have N-key rollover, and PS/2, USB, and bluetooth connections all in one device.

16 black blank
16 white blank
16 black black
16 black white
16 white black
16 cream black

Did I miss anything?

Yeah, a USB hub... ;P

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 10 June 2009, 09:13:14 »

16 Buckling Spring keys
16 Cherry MX Blue keys
16 Cherry MX Brown keys
16 Topre Capacitive keys
16 Alps White keys
16 Alps Black keys

16 black blank
16 white blank
16 black black
16 black white
16 white black
16 cream black

Did I miss anything?

Unfortunately, this is always the problem with these things.  It seems it's better to just get the item/offer the service, and not solicit input.  If you would have just bought either a blue or brown Cherry 'board and offered it, they would have sold.

Offline Manyak

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 10 June 2009, 09:13:30 »
Quote from: TheSoulhunter;95163
Yeah, a USB hub... ;P

I'm pretty sure a couple of kiddies wouldn't mind it having a lotion dispenser either.
Currently Owned:
Filco FKBN104MC/EB - Model M 1390131 \'86 - Model M 1391401 NIB - Unicomp Endurapro NIB - iRocks KR-6230 - Compaq MX-11800 - Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 - Cherry ML-4100 - Cherry MY-8000-something - Dell AT101W (Black) - ABS M1 - Siig Minitouch - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys NIB - Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 - Deck Legend

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 10 June 2009, 09:14:26 »
Quote from: Manyak;95166
I'm pretty sure a couple of kiddies wouldn't mind it having a lotion dispenser either.

If you had that, you need a tissue dispenser as well.  Don't do things half-a*s.

Offline Manyak

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 10 June 2009, 09:19:40 »
Quote from: itlnstln;95167
If you had that, you need a tissue dispenser as well.  Don't do things half-a*s.

Even better, have a flush handle on the side so that the keyboard can clean itself off!
Currently Owned:

Offline pmyshkin

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 10 June 2009, 21:37:24 »
Quote from: Manyak;95168
Even better, have a flush handle on the side so that the keyboard can clean itself off!

Lotion? Tissues? Flush handles? What are you guys talking about? Please explain, using specific examples if possible.

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 10 June 2009, 21:51:00 »
Do you really want specific examples???
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline pmyshkin

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 11 June 2009, 01:18:27 »
Quote from: zwmalone;95336
Do you really want specific examples???

Yes please. Examples are the best way to learn!

Offline chimera15

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 11 June 2009, 02:15:28 »

16 Buckling Spring keys
16 Cherry MX Blue keys
16 Cherry MX Brown keys
16 Topre Capacitive keys
16 Alps White keys
16 Alps Black keys

16 black blank
16 white blank
16 black black
16 black white
16 white black
16 cream black

Did I miss anything?

You forgot the cup holder. roflol

« Last Edit: Thu, 11 June 2009, 02:22:01 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch

Offline chimera15

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 11 June 2009, 02:19:59 »
Seriously, I think someone should make a poll or something and see what comes the most popular.
Alps boards:

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 11 June 2009, 07:44:15 »
Quote from: chimera15;95380
Seriously, I think someone should make a poll or something and see what comes the most popular.

This would probably be the best thing to do, but remember, SoulHunter would have to sell at least 100 keyboards.  Hopefully, we can get enough consensus to generate an order.

Offline Manyak

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 11 June 2009, 10:22:36 »
Quote from: itlnstln;95396
This would probably be the best thing to do, but remember, SoulHunter would have to sell at least 100 keyboards.  Hopefully, we can get enough consensus to generate an order.

Well we can always see how many people vote for the same thing, you never know!
Currently Owned: