Author Topic: All common key size variations?  (Read 1113 times)

Offline moonexe

All common key size variations?
« on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 05:17:37 »
Quick question for you guys...
If one were to make a universal key set intended to fit all (Minila spacebars and other crazy irregular sizes aside) MX keyboards, what would the default set be, and what extras would have to be included?
I'm talking different size spacebars/modifiers, offset caps lock, etc.

G80-3000, MX brown           -           Filco Majestouch 2 HAKUA TKL+TK, MX brown, JIS Layout

Offline Findecanor

Re: All common key size variations?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 09:50:10 »
A quick question, but one that does not have a quick answer ...

It is not easy to "fit all". Not only are there different sizes of keyboards, but there are different languages that have different symbols in different places, although with blank keys or if all keys have the same row-profile (such as DSA profile) it gets easier. You will always have to do a trade-off about what you are going to support and what you are not.
I think you should look at past group buys and figure it out from there.

Offline moonexe

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 10:20:17 »
Assume US english as standard, and assume as well that people with 60% keyboards and whatnot will put up with the lack of model specific function indicators. :rolleyes:
I'm talking strictly in terms of physically fitting the keyboard here. Of course, a full keyboard would have to be the reference, but a smaller layout is only a matter of not using certain keys.

G80-3000, MX brown           -           Filco Majestouch 2 HAKUA TKL+TK, MX brown, JIS Layout

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:10:05 »

Is what I came up after a LOT of research on the topic. Fits most things that are at least somewhat standard from 60%, TKL, TK, fullsize in both ANSI and ISO. It was hard to pare it down to least amount of keys while still being comprehensive in most cases. Sure there are a few things that could be changed... if added a couple more keys it would cover JIS also.