Author Topic: It's all ogre now  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Charlie S

It's all ogre now
« on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 05:53:40 »
Hey everybody, I'm Dr. Nick! Charlie!

Been lurking here for a little while, and frequenting /r/mechanicalkeyboards for longer, figured it was time I made an account, especially since I'm probably going to be posting a few writeups in not too long. Only discovered mkbs a few years ago when I purchased a Blackwidow so I would get the 3p1c 1337 g4m3r skllz as promised by Razer, but despite the relatively lackluster introductory mech, I knew that there was no going back to the old ways, once you go clack you never go back.

The first time around I didn't do much research or really get into keyboards in any depth, but when my ol' spider recently started curling up her legs due to a nasty incident with some coke a year or two back (yeah i know, no drinks near your kb bleh) I decided it was time to find something better, something more aesthetically pleasing, comfortable to type on, and most of all, something perfect for me.  Little did i know that would be the beginning of my downwards spiral into poverty and madness. Long nights were spent considering switch choices, layout decisions, cap materials, and before long i was catching myself muttering "maybe I should build a custom from scratch out of laser cut stainless steel, using gold-plated springs to make ergo clears and a custom Workman-matrix layout.

Anyway, so far I'm not in too deep, only have the 'widow and a keycool with blacks in the mail from the recent Banggood sale, but don't worry, this probably won't be the last you're seeing of me :)

-Charlie

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: It's all ogre now
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 06:28:41 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Razers don't have blacks (mostly MX blues in the original ones, and Kailh something in the newer ones), so you have started with pretty much both ends of the MX spectrum.

You probably need some Topre next.  And maybe some Alps.  Then a buckling spring keyboard.

That should get you started :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Charlie S

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 07:02:08 »
Yeah, I really wanted to try out reds next after blues just so i got pretty much the exact opposite (heavy tactile clicky vs light linear) end of the spectrum, so I would at least figure out the Cherry MX side of things, but since I was able to get this board with blacks for some absurdly low price (45$ during a Banggood flash sale, got the last one in stock) i figured they would be close enough, and I just wanted to get something to use while i figure a few more things out since my old one is crapping out. My plan is pretty much to test the linears, and if I like those Ill buy a few different sets of springs and go on a soldering spree to swap them around and try out which weight I like best.

I'm sure topres, alps and buckling springs are the next step :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 07:33:17 »
An excellent plan!

Most people are not lucky enough to have a retailer near by who allows them to tryout many different keyboards.  Or friends with mechanical keyboard collections.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 08:12:14 »
Welcome!  I hope you enjoy your stay here...and keep your keyboards away from Coke! ;-)
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 08:21:44 »
An excellent plan!

Most people are not lucky enough to have a retailer near by who allows them to tryout many different keyboards.  Or friends with mechanical keyboard collections.

Most of us spend our money on a keyboard. When we like it we keep it for a while. Then we go to this forum and hear people go on and on about their "Topre" or "Greens" until we finally crack and buy another keyboard. This goes on and on until eventually, many dollars/euros later, we have tried nearly everything. I am ashamed to say that I no longer own any of the keyboards that I bought when I just "got into" keyboards.

Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 08:44:22 »
An excellent plan!

Most of us spend our money on a keyboard. When we like it we keep it for a while. Then we go to this forum and hear people go on and on about their "Topre" or "Greens" until we finally crack and buy another keyboard. This goes on and on until eventually, many dollars/euros later, we have tried nearly everything. I am ashamed to say that I no longer own any of the keyboards that I bought when I just "got into" keyboards.
True, though I am not sure I will get rid of my Déck Legend as I paid too much for it with shipping and import duty to make it worth the time and trouble to sell it again.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Charlie S

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 09:11:59 »
Since you're here, thanks Grim for your mouse guide, helped me a lot when I was looking for a new one and I managed to settle for an avior 7k, really happy with it and the only gripe I have is the weight, slightly heavy for my tastes but i guess i just gotta get swole and It'll be less noticeable ;D

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 09:31:37 »
Since you're here, thanks Grim for your mouse guide, helped me a lot when I was looking for a new one and I managed to settle for an avior 7k, really happy with it and the only gripe I have is the weight, slightly heavy for my tastes but i guess i just gotta get swole and It'll be less noticeable ;D

Thanks man. Really appreciate the feedback. I am getting a lot of nice responses on that mouse guide even from outside geekhack, which I think is very cool.

Glad you found something you like. Oh, and of course, welcome to geekhack.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 09:36:51 »
I definitely recommend BS boards.
Absolute best switches around. The only problem is that it is hard to pimp them out.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 21:49:42 »

And I still have every mechanical board I acquired during the last few years :p

I definitely recommend BS boards.
Absolute best switches around. The only problem is that it is hard to pimp them out.

Difficult, but not impossible ...

http://pckeyboard.com/page/category/Buttons
http://pckeyboard.com/page/category/SBLE
http://www.fentek-ind.com/keys.htm#.U-WLz4CSx9k