Author Topic: Favourite and Best Mechanical Numpad?  (Read 23558 times)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
Favourite and Best Mechanical Numpad?
« on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 07:15:16 »
Hello, I've got a bunch of Tenkeyless now, and been wanting to get a numpad.

I see so many choices, Leopold (which outputs incorrect numpad encoding or something), Adesso, Keycool, just to list some.

What is the best numpad out there right now? Doesn't have to be cherry switches, just mechanical.

If not the best, what is your favourite?  :)

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Favourite and Best Mechanical Numpad?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 07:40:31 »

I see so many choices, Leopold (which outputs incorrect numpad encoding or something), Adesso, Keycool, just to list some.

What is the best numpad out there right now? Doesn't have to be cherry switches, just mechanical.

Many people seem to enjoy the 23UB Topre numberpad, though it's now out of production, if I recall correctly.

My favourite is, of course, the bud "highly painted surface inside" hall effect keypad that HaaTa sold some time ago

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=18048.0
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 August 2014, 08:00:59 by dorkvader »

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 08:24:30 »
Wow, that is the mother of all numpads!

Shame about the 23UB being discontinued. Any word on Topre making a new one, or EK doing a group buy for them?

Also it looks like there aren't any definitive MX switch numpad that is being tooted as the best. Like for example the Leopold one apparently has problems outputting the right numpad code.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 15:25:17 »
Just use a 104 keyboard.

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 15:28:40 »
I've been thinking of a numpad with my Model F. I would like to turn the numbers lock off so that I can use the home/end/page up/down and arrow keys.  I use the numpad fairly regularly on a normal full-sized keyboard.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline RED-404

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 15:52:31 »
Fully programmable but fugly as sin and no case options that I know of, so not this thing.

Almost forgot it uses a RJ45 to USB cable...

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 17:08:16 »
Shame about the 23UB being discontinued. Any word on Topre making a new one, or EK doing a group buy for them?

I think around the time that they announced that the 23ub was being discontinued there was also word of some other standalone Topre numpad being in the works, but we never got any more info than that. Topre/Realforce works in mysterious ways.

I'd honestly prefer a double length 0 key on the 23ub as opposed to a single unit "0" and "00", but oh well.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 17:19:31 »
I've been thinking of a numpad with my Model F. I would like to turn the numbers lock off so that I can use the home/end/page up/down and arrow keys.  I use the numpad fairly regularly on a normal full-sized keyboard.

I will be using my IBM 4704-100 (50-key) as a "model F" numebrpad, macropad, and function pad with my 4704-200 (62-key "kishsaver")

Based on some part numbers I found in an IBM catalog / manual, I think a model F tenkey should actually exist (it was to be an optional pairing with the "unsaver" 3290 KB), but I was only able to find a seller who had stock of it some years ago in one place online. I'm keeping my eyes open though.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 17:29:49 »

Many people seem to enjoy the 23UB Topre numberpad, though it's now out of production, if I recall correctly.

My favourite is, of course, the bud "highly painted surface inside" hall effect keypad that HaaTa sold some time ago
Show Image

Show Image

Gotta admit, I love the anti-space saving aspect of this numpad.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 17:35:10 »
I thought people bought 60% boards to save space? If you have a 60%, what's the point of buying a number pad? Why not buy a 101 or 104-key keyboard?
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 18:02:07 »
I thought people bought 60% boards to save space? If you have a 60%, what's the point of buying a number pad? Why not buy a 101 or 104-key keyboard?

Just use a 104 keyboard.

Simple, I don't want a 104 keyboard because I like having my mouse closer to the keyboard (closer as in WASD and mouse are closer together).

I'm a gamer, and on top of that, I already own these 2 TKL, so I'm not shopping around for a new keyboard  ;)

Will be putting the numpad on the left of the keyboard, to use with the left hand. It's the conclusion I've come to as the best setup for my needs.

Also by separating numpad and keyboard, you have a more portable setup, as you can just pack the TKL, and leave the numpad behind, something you can't do with the 104.

I've looked around and I'm trying to find a decent Numpad with red switches, or something similar, but unfortunately there is Leopold which outputs wrong numpad codes, and the Keycool one that looks to have slightly poorer build quality, not sure if any numpads come with plate-mount switches.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 18:03:25 »
Fully programmable but fugly as sin and no case options that I know of, so not this thing.

Agreed on the aesthetics, but aside from that, how is it? Which MX switches are those again?

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 18:05:07 »
My 23u. I can't believe I didn't buy one when they were still in stock, and I regret it to this day. Luckily someone was awesome enough to sell me one at a decent price.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 18:05:49 »

For me it is simple. A numpad only comes in handy sometimes, and is in the way most of the time. This way you can just pull it out when you need it instead of it always being there.

Even though I do have a separate numpad, I have gotten so used to the stacked layered numpad that I can use that just as easily by now.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Roark17

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 18:42:40 »
I really wish a version of the Leopold FC210TP with correct numpad outputs was available.  The aesthetics and layout are great, from the wide "0" to the 4 shortcut keys above it, especially "Tab" and "BS."
KUL ES-87 w/ Clears (ETA 8/15)

Offline RED-404

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 18:50:07 »

Agreed on the aesthetics, but aside from that, how is it? Which MX switches are those again?

Pic strait out of the box. It has MX Blacks. Amazon didn't say key type so it was a surprise. I have the green key set to switch layers. Overall, I like it thou something feels a little off I just can't seem to pinpoint it.

And yes, I shove this thing back when I'm not using it.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 18:50:52 »
My favorite numpad is Butterfly Key Pad that I had in the past.  Its just so beautiful and solid, but I don't use numpad a lot

Offline 1391406

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 02:03:12 »

Just use a 104 keyboard.

Simple, I don't want a 104 keyboard because I like having my mouse closer to the keyboard (closer as in WASD and mouse are closer together).

For me, this is a non-issue, namely because I have a desk with two levels. The lower level supports the keyboard and the upper level supports my mouse. The upper level is capable of sliding to the left, overlapping the lower level to whatever degree I want, thus it's possible to cover the number pad and more. However, I've never found any great advantage to doing so, as I like to keep my hands shoulder width apart when using a keyboard and mouse, but that's me.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 August 2014, 02:04:50 by 1391406 »
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline grantb3

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 13:39:55 »

Show Image
Show Image

Almost forgot it uses a RJ45 to USB cable...
Show Image

Not sure this is to your taste or not, but it the case has been redesigned:

http://store.genovation.com/programmables/cp24-usbhid.html

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 15:52:28 »

Show Image

Show Image

Gotta admit, I love the anti-space saving aspect of this numpad.
Oh my god that is such a sweet number pad! Anti-space saving is right. It's like the brother of the F-122.
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline Data

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 16:03:47 »
I don't know about favorite or best but this one works pretty well for me.  It's the only one I've got.

Leopold 210TP w/ MX Blues, rocking Midnight DCS caps

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 16:23:03 »
I don't know about favorite or best but this one works pretty well for me.  It's the only one I've got.

Show Image

Ohhh, very nice. Where can I find one of those orange-on-black ESCs? I'm guessing it's GMK from Originative's Charred orange set

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 17:02:27 »

Show Image

Ohhh, very nice. Where can I find one of those orange-on-black ESCs? I'm guessing it's GMK from Originative's Charred orange set
or the original skidata kb that set was based on.

(also gmk)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 18:10:50 »
The favorite and best mechanical numpad is the one found on right side of an IBM Model F 122-key terminal keyboard, after a near-ANSI mod to add the tall "+" key and re-mapping the upper left key from "NumLock" to "Escape"
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Arcoril

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 18:54:01 »

Show Image

These things are great, but the only thing that's held me back from buying one is that they don't send the actual numpad scan codes.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 12:53:24 »
No G80-3700 love this time?

I agree with anyone mentioning Genovation and add any other matrix POS keyboard, as I'm pretty sure there are small tipros somewhere.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 13:30:49 »
I like the 210TP... don't have one but it seems to be one I would want to get.
60% + numpad for occasions, is what I am going for.

the problem would probably be that I am going to mod my switches, and I think I'd end up wanting to mod the numpad switches as well, which wouldn't make it as cheap as I'd hope for... :D

thanks for all the recommendations in this thread!