Author Topic: I fell down the rabbit hole!  (Read 1161 times)

Offline mosthaggardbeast

I fell down the rabbit hole!
« on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 23:35:38 »
Just hopping in to say hello!  Been lurking for a while and figured it was time to officially join the community that convinced me to empty my wallet.  My Noppoo Choc Mini is on it's way to becoming a work of art, and I'm diving into building my own board within the next couple weeks!  :D  I look forward hanging out with all the awesome people on GH!
Noppoo Choc Mini [MX Black]

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: I fell down the rabbit hole!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 06:02:35 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Photos!  Photos!  Where are the photos of your keyboard? :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Gamingnow

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 10:47:27 »
Welcome! Great way to start into the mechanical keyboard world, what size board are you planning to build?
Poker II [MX Blues]

Offline mosthaggardbeast

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 16:45:23 »
Here's my Choc Mini!  I am working on finding a good set of keys for it.  Going for a black/purple/yellow scheme I think.  I got the running man cap from a friend of mine at work who thought I needed a little something on my first mech.  I also scooped up my first artisan key yesterday and can't wait to post pictures of it on the Choc Mini when I recieve it.  It's a Visitor by Nubbinator! :D 

As for the build, I'm having a hard time deciding between a 60% or an ErgoDox.  :/

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 18:49:31 »
60% all day errrryyyday son.

Welcome to the site.

Offline HardCelery

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 22:11:25 »
Here's my Choc Mini!  I am working on finding a good set of keys for it.  Going for a black/purple/yellow scheme I think.  I got the running man cap from a friend of mine at work who thought I needed a little something on my first mech.  I also scooped up my first artisan key yesterday and can't wait to post pictures of it on the Choc Mini when I recieve it.  It's a Visitor by Nubbinator! :D 
Show Image

As for the build, I'm having a hard time deciding between a 60% or an ErgoDox.  :/
Don't think you can replace all the keys, they aren't all standard size.

Offline mosthaggardbeast

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 23:12:22 »
Yeah I know I can't replace all of them perfectly, but I have an idea in the works that mixes the bumblebee set on keypop.net with some black blanks for modifiers.  I figure the irreplaceable spacebar would match the rest of the board at least and i shouldn't have too much trouble getting a blank black key for the short right shift.  I should be able to buy the keys by next week.  :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 05:30:15 »
Heh thanks for that :)

A custom keycap or two certainly makes a difference to a keyboard!

Bumblebee is great - I've got that on my QFR at the moment.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ