Author Topic: I need a IBM Model M  (Read 7191 times)

Offline hedele

I need a IBM Model M
« on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 08:43:10 »
I know, title seems lame and maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but whatever. I live in Turkey and need a working Model M 1391401. Nobody sells and nearly no one uses mechanical keyboards here. Shipping costs more than the keyboard in ebay ($50.00 for shipping). And I failed to find an European seller on ebay european sites. So, I found this forum by google, and looks like its full of keyboard experts. I see some of you guys live in Europe and have a lot of great keyboards in signature. Can I find somebody to sell me one in Europe here?

Also, I'm open to other keyboard suggestions as long as I can find them with low shipping cost. IBM Model M's older than me, and my last experience with them was so many years ago. I only remember how great they felt to type on. Mine got broken while moving, and ever since I'm using $10 rubber dome keyboards.

Btw, I'm not looking for a keyboard with European Layout, Turkish characters, German characters, whatsoever.

Thanks, Ozan.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 June 2009, 08:48:42 by hedele »

Offline IBI

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 09:23:10 »
Well there are the Dell AT101Ws on ebay UK (linky), they're not clicky like the model M but they're still very definite and nice to type on.

Then there's the Cherry G80-3000 and the Das Keyboard III, the Das is availible in US and blank EU layouts from the link I've posted.

The G80-3000 model list is here. Avoid the linear ones. The soft pressure point and click pressure point ones are both popular here are are both availible in US and EU layouts. The 'order number' is the product code that is given given to designate which one a shop is selling, the -0 on the end just means it's the white version, most are availible in black (-2) as well and I'd leave that bit off when searching. The G80-3000 is availible from shops across europe (well, western europe anyway, I've not heard whether or not it's availible in eastern europe).
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline hedele

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 09:40:07 »
Oh, getdigital.de is very expensive. Ordering a Das Keyboard from thinkgeek.com costs me less. Dell looks good but i want a clicky keyboard.

Offline IBI

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 10:13:40 »
Quote from: hedele;94699
Oh, getdigital.de is very expensive. Ordering a Das Keyboard from thinkgeek.com costs me less. Dell looks good but i want a clicky keyboard.

Have you read up on your local import costs? Here in the UK I have to pay 18.5% import duty if I import from the US but none from the EU so display thinkgeek being slightly cheaper to start with it'd be a lot more expensive once it gets to me.

I've just seen this viglen keyboard on ebay UK which is supposed to be clicky, it's UK layout.

Is there anywhere that's cheap to buy from in Turkey except turkey itself?
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline lowpoly

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 10:40:29 »
1391401 Model Ms appear on ebay Germany reguarly.

Any friends or relatives in Germany? You'd only have to pay shipping in Germany then (and wait until someone travels to Turkey).

Cheap but potentially slow.

Welcome to geekhack.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline hedele

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 11:09:51 »
Quote from: lowpoly;94706
1391401 Model Ms appear on ebay Germany reguarly.

Any friends or relatives in Germany? You'd only have to pay shipping in Germany then (and wait until someone travels to Turkey).

Cheap but potentially slow.

Welcome to geekhack.

Thanks! Sadly, no I don't have any relative or friend in Germany. I regularly check ebay.de but they sell only german layouts there.

Offline hedele

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 12:42:42 »
Btw, is this a secret keyboard approval clan? Judging from their signatures, I can't understand people who own 15 Model M, 2 Das keyboard, 5 cherry  and use a dell. Especially while there are a lot of people who don't even have one clicky keyboard and desperately looking for one (like me).

Offline itlnstln

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 12:48:32 »
Quote from: hedele;94719
Btw, is this a secret keyboard approval clan? Judging from their signatures, I can't understand people who own 15 Model M, 2 Das keyboard, 5 cherry and use a dell. Especially while there are a lot of people who don't even have one clicky keyboard and desperately looking for one (like me).

Or you can be like webwit - own all that and not even use a keyboard.

These people would be called "collectors."  There are so many Model Ms out there that their collection of Model Ms isn't even .00001% of the total Model Ms available.  Especially since they are still being made.  When you start buying different keyboards, you'll understand.  I'm not even a collector, and still have more keyboards than I will ever use.

Offline hedele

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 12:55:25 »
Quote from: itlnstln;94720
Or you can be like webwit - own all that and not even use a keyboard.

These people would be called "collectors."  There are so many Model Ms out there that their collection of Model Ms isn't even .00001% of the total Model Ms available.  Especially since they are still being made.  When you start buying different keyboards, you'll understand.  I'm not even a collector, and still have more keyboards than I will ever use.

But collecting keyboards is different from collecting baseball cards, especially if we are talking about best keyboards on earth. If those keyboards were not working I would understand that, but buying every Model M on ebay seems just pointless to me while there are people who can actually use them to get work done.

Offline itlnstln

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 13:00:58 »
So car collectors should give their cars away or stop buying cars so that people tha don't have cars can have one? I don't follow. Unicomp (pckeyboard.com) will sell you a brand new Model M and for a reasonable price. Other than not wanting to pay too much for shipping, which seems unavoidable, IMO, I don't see any reason you couldn't have a Model M in a couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 June 2009, 13:12:45 by itlnstln »

Offline bigpook

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 13:09:15 »
Quote from: hedele;94721
But collecting keyboards is different from collecting baseball cards, especially if we are talking about best keyboards on earth. If those keyboards were not working I would understand that, but buying every Model M on ebay seems just pointless to me while there are people who can actually use them to get work done.

Some people just like having them, I know I do. There are lots of Model M's to be had, if not right now than wait a week or a month. They will pop up. When they do. Bite the bullet and buy one.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline lowpoly

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 13:10:06 »
Quote from: hedele;94709
I regularly check ebay.de but they sell only german layouts there.
I've seen them.

I also don't see what's wrong with collecting them. It's not like 1391401s are rare or something.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 June 2009, 13:12:41 by lowpoly »

Offline hedele

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 13:19:12 »
Quote from: lowpoly;94726
I've seen them.

I also don't see what's wrong with collecting them. It's not like 1391401s are rare or something.

Its not wrong, i understand that now. But, i don't have much knowledge about Model M's, I saw few on ebay, I was going to ask here if they seem good. But I didn't because I'm afraid of somebody will buy it after seeing here if its any good.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 13:27:14 »
Quote from: hedele;94719
Btw, is this a secret keyboard approval clan? Judging from their signatures, I can't understand people who own 15 Model M, 2 Das keyboard, 5 cherry  and use a dell

Yes, this is the secret keyboard approval clan. Took me years to find my way here, and I'm proud to finally arrive. Most people smile and look away when I talk serious keyboard.

Collectors have pleasure in owning as well as using, and the proportion changes with the individual. I own a lot of keyboards and cycle through them as the mood suits me. I own a dozen fountain pens and use them in their own time.

I'm curious who wrote something that implies they own a fine keyboard and use a Dell. Yet this could be similar to someone owning a slew of fine sportcars and driving a beater to work daily; a scenario with obvious advantages and disadvantages. People with a dozen cars obviously drive only one at a time. Unless one uses multiple computers without a KVM, no one needs multiple keyboards.

Quote from: hedele;94730
i don't have much knowledge about Model M's, I saw few on ebay, I was going to ask here if they seem good. But I didn't because I'm afraid of somebody will buy it after seeing here if its any good.

You came to the right place to learn. I humbly suggest you just buy one for under $50 [substitute your price point here] ASAP and decide what you like and don't like about it. THen you can contemplate a second purchase that much sooner. I can talk all day about the difference between Alps and Cherry, but until you press a key daily for your regular work, you won't appreciate the talk. Until you see a ruler, inches and centimetres are just words on a page.

Edit: Go ahead and post the links in the eBay part of the forum with your specific questions. If someone outbids you, at least your knowledge has grown.

YMMV.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 June 2009, 13:38:51 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline wellington1869

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 13:27:34 »
If I had the money I would totally collect M's.

I'd house each one in its own hand-built display case.

And force my houseguests to take the keyboard tour.

I'm totally serious.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline bigpook

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 13:35:36 »
I think home movies are better than the torture of the
"slide show".  I sat through one of those once with a family member. I didn't know that time could stand still until then.

Offline wellington1869

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 13:58:49 »
I'd have an 'interactive' part of the tour where they have to press down on a giant size working model of the buckling spring switch until they understand and appreciate how it works.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 14:11:50 »
Quote from: ripster;94747
Welly, if I ever visit I'm staying in a hotel.

:-D

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 14:31:16 »
Quote from: webwit;94751
without the people buying Ms there would have been no market

Grins. So we should collect Ms because otherwise they'd stop making Ms to collect? Have I mentioned that a ricercar is a recursive, self-referencing piece of music, like a fugue?

Offline bigpook

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 14:32:46 »
At least the OP isn't looking/asking for a Model M mini. That would involve animal sacrifice and the lighting of candles.

I totally agree with wellington. When I round out my mini collection I want to build a display cabinet for them. I think that would be awesome. Of course, NO  ONE in my immediate circle would understand that at all : )

Offline o2dazone

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 14:39:18 »
Quote from: bigpook;94755
NO  ONE in my immediate circle would understand that at all : )

At least you have an immediate circle. I just sperged about Cherry 4100 that was being used at the checkout counter at Bath & Body Works over the weekend. I think the lady was actually afraid when I asked her to pick it up and flip it over

Offline itlnstln

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 14:44:24 »
Quote from: wellington1869;94734
If I had the money I would totally collect M's.

I'd house each one in its own hand-built display case.

And force my houseguests to take the keyboard tour.

I'm totally serious.

Well, that's one way to keep visitors from coming over... and stay a virgin. ;)

Be sure you guide the tour wearing your Desk-O-Bra with a Model M Mini on it.

Offline bigpook

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 14:56:38 »
lol, I think my wife would shoot me if 200 keyboards arrived at the house. There is no way I could justify that : )

Offline o2dazone

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 15:13:41 »
Quote from: ripster;94767
I just received a LEGAL copy of Typing of The Dead from Ebay

The....irony....is......overwhelming

Got any scans of the manual? If the English in it is anything like it is in the game, it should provide some decent entertainment

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 15:38:38 »
Quote from: hedele;94699
Dell looks good but i want a clicky keyboard.

Well, the Dells are a mechanical keyboard with quite a bit of "click" in them.

As for shipping prices, with the keyboards Ive got from America, I just shrug it off and treat it as part of the cost. Good things don't come cheap.

Offline wellington1869

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 16:00:37 »
Quote from: itlnstln;94765
Well, that's one way to keep visitors from coming over... and stay a virgin. ;)

lol, nah i just have to find an american chloe ;)

Be sure you guide the tour wearing your Desk-O-Bra with a Model M Mini on it.

lol, maybe i can sell those in the parlor at the end of the tour ;)

I'm still using it by the way (much to my own surprise) ;D

Offline wellington1869

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 16:03:41 »
Quote from: ricercar;94754
Grins. So we should collect Ms because otherwise they'd stop making Ms to collect? Have I mentioned that a ricercar is a recursive, self-referencing piece of music, like a fugue?

ricercar,  I totally stole your signature font color. I'm still trying to match it actually.

Offline hedele

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 16:11:43 »
Quote from: ch_123;94786
Well, the Dells are a mechanical keyboard with quite a bit of "click" in them.

As for shipping prices, with the keyboards Ive got from America, I just shrug it off and treat it as part of the cost. Good things don't come cheap.

But if the guy sells you a dead keyboard or it gets broken you won't be able to return it, because it will cost you more and more. Same applies to new items too. RMA shipping will be more than the item.

Bah.. Forget what I said before, I'll try my luck :)

Offline Lenny_Nero

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 16:25:35 »
If people did not show any interest in IBM 'M's or older mechanical keyboards there would be far less around. If there is quite a few of something and the interest grows around it more people keep hold of or sell  and not just dump in the trash when their use for it is finished.

Collectors do push up the price, but they also allow the thing to be there in the first place, I dont agree with collectors that never use stuff, that I dont see the point. I have always been involved with classic cars and I feel its a bit of a shame when I see them on the back of a trailer or under cover never being used ...I feel its the same with these keyboards, I use my Viglen because I like it. I have new manky new M$ 20 quid keyboards sitting doing nothing they will get given to people or sold with computers if needed.
Filco Zero, Viglen DFK 2020UKF104, DTK SPK-102a, Panasonic Biz 500
Ducky 1087 Chicony KB-5191, G80-1856HQMGB Cherry G80-1000HFD and others
 G80-11908HRMIT, Tipro MID-KM128a, Access AKEOXPB312/2 (20x7), Access AKEOCTI635/1(15x6)

Offline itlnstln

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 16:43:51 »
Quote from: webwit;94801
But..what about the Children? Must everything be consumed now? I do feel though that people who own multiple M15s carry a big weight, and I for one volunteer to help them alleviate the pain.

Seconded.

That is a travesty. ;)

Offline huha

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 16:45:40 »
Quote from: webwit;94801
But..what about the Children? Must everything be consumed now? I do feel though that people who own multiple M15s carry a big weight, and I for one volunteer to help them alleviate the pain.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd even do it for free.

-huha
Unicomp Endurapro 105 (blank keycaps, BS) // Cherry G80-3000LSCDE-2 (blues, modded to green MX) // Cherry G80-3000LAMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Cherry G80-11900LTMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Compaq G80-11801 (browns) // Epson Q203A (Fujitsu Peerless) // IBM Model M2 (BS) // Boscom AS400 Terminal Emulator (OEM\'d Unicomp, BS, 2x) // Dell AT102DW (black Alps) // Mechanical Touch (chinese BS) Acer 6312-KW (Acer mechanics on membrane) // Cherry G84-4100 (ML) // Cherry G80-1000HAD (NKRO, blacks)

Offline itlnstln

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 16:46:50 »
Quote from: huha;94807
As far as I'm concerned, I'd even do it for free.

-huha

Your generosity is unparalleled.  You are quite the philanthopist.

Offline o2dazone

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 16:52:06 »
could you post a smaller pic please, way too big....

Offline IBI

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 17:08:48 »
Quote from: hedele;94730
Its not wrong, i understand that now. But, i don't have much knowledge about Model M's, I saw few on ebay, I was going to ask here if they seem good. But I didn't because I'm afraid of somebody will buy it after seeing here if its any good.

Apart from the bad language most people here are pretty polite and if they were on a European ebay then they probably won't sell that quickly anyway since most people prefer to have their own layout (as can be seen by the fact that we still have to put up with different physical key layouts when the sensible thing would have been to transition all the latin and similar alphabet keyboards to the ISO layout).

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
hue and only hue can stop florist friars
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 18:05:30 »
Quote from: wellington1869;94792
ricercar,  I totally stole your signature font color. I'm still trying to match it actually.

*laughs* I just used the color pulldown from the posting window. The sig source looks like:

|COLOR="Gray"|
imaginative one liner
|/COLOR|

|COLOR="Green"|
worship me list
|/COLOR|

Offline wellington1869

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 18:15:56 »
Quote from: ricercar;94832
I just used the color pulldown from the posting window.

I did it the long way around, with a color picker and the hex code ;)

Offline wellington1869

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 18:23:01 »
Quote from: ripster;94795
Not in public I hope.  Of course, you DO live in NYC!

In the west village i'd probably look weird without it ;)

Offline itlnstln

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 09 June 2009, 08:15:02 »
Quote from: IBI;94814
Apart from the bad language most people here are pretty polite

I'm just a f*cking a*shole.

Offline watduzhkstand4

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 11 June 2009, 01:48:02 »
I was just wondering why the 1391401 Model M is so popular? What about the boards with other part numbers?
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline lowpoly

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 11 June 2009, 04:16:20 »
Quote from: Lenny_Nero;94799
Collectors do push up the price, but they also allow the thing to be there in the first place, I dont agree with collectors that never use stuff, that I dont see the point. I have always been involved with classic cars and I feel its a bit of a shame when I see them on the back of a trailer or under cover never being used ...
Hang around and after a while you'll have more boards than you need. :tongue:

Offline bigpook

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 11 June 2009, 07:41:52 »
Quote from: lowpoly;95386
Hang around and after a while you'll have more boards than you need. :tongue:

How true, how fricking true.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 11 June 2009, 08:52:24 »
Quote from: watduzhkstand4;95377
I was just wondering why the 1391401 Model M is so popular? What about the boards with other part numbers?

It was the quintessential IBM-made one. Other product codes refer to other country's layouts (the 1391403 was the German one, the 1391406 was the UK one) and later Lexmark and Unicomp made boards whose quality is lower than the IBM made ones. There was also the 1390131 which was the original model M, which is supposed to be more stiff than the 1391401.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 June 2009, 10:05:18 by ch_123 »

Offline skriefal

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 11 June 2009, 09:03:01 »
Quote from: ch_123;95410
There was also the 1391301 which was the original model M, which is supposed to be more stiff than the 1391401.

I believe you're referring to the 1390131.  There's also the 1390120, which IIRC is a 1390131 minus the LEDs.

Offline watduzhkstand4

I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 11 June 2009, 09:45:54 »
Quote from: ch_123;95410
It was the quintessential IBM-made one. Other product codes refer to other country's layouts (the 1391403 was the German one, the 1391406 was the UK one) and later Lexmark and Unicomp made boards whose quality is lower than the IBM made ones. There was also the 1391301 which was the original model M, which is supposed to be more stiff than the 1391401.

Thanks! I didn't know there was so much to this board.
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
I need a IBM Model M
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 11 June 2009, 10:04:59 »
Quote from: skriefal;95412
I believe you're referring to the 1390131.  There's also the 1390120, which IIRC is a 1390131 minus the LEDs.

Yeah, my bad.

Personally I find the Model M too stiff for my tastes, I prefer the Model F.