Author Topic: Keyboard scrublord reporting in  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Weltschmerz

Keyboard scrublord reporting in
« on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 18:53:48 »
Hey Geekhack. I've decided to descent into the madness that is "Getting a mechanical keyboard". I've done a good(?) amount of research and will most likely be building a keyboard of my own soon. I went to the local microcenter and checked out their keyboards, and while they were a step up from the logitech rubber dome I was using, they're certainly not like the ones here. I figured I'd join in on the fun of this board, as well as eventually build a "keyboard collection".

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
Re: Keyboard scrublord reporting in
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 18:56:28 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Happy to have you join our community and I can't wait to see what kind of custom keyboard you are going to build.
Make sure to post some pictures when you finish building your first keyboard!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 05:45:43 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

"done a good(?) amount of research" - glad you included the question mark - you probably have more questions now than answers :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Weltschmerz

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 01:47:04 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Happy to have you join our community and I can't wait to see what kind of custom keyboard you are going to build.
Make sure to post some pictures when you finish building your first keyboard!

Oh it's gonna be awesome! I think... perhaps. Only issue I'm having now is with keycaps, and it seems like signatureplastics has the most colors availible (and in PBT :D) but I'm not sure what "family" to order, and I'm trying to get some nice colors going on. Don't want it to look like a garbage board. Thinking something along the lines of red esc, power blue service keys, and grey for the 1x keys. No idea as of now...

Offline Weltschmerz

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 01:48:30 »

"done a good(?) amount of research" - glad you included the question mark - you probably have more questions now than answers :p
[/quote]

Too many god damn questions... holy ****.