Author Topic: Keycaps and Dying - 122 Key IBM Model M  (Read 2816 times)

Offline ZefyrPyon

• YouTube: ZefyrPyon
Keycaps and Dying - 122 Key IBM Model M
« on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 15:28:23 »
So, basically, I'm looking into buying a 122 key model m and customizing it heavily. I want to dye the case black, as well as some of the keycaps, and either purchase gray keycaps or find a successful way to dye them gray. Here's the trouble. I want to label the black keycaps. Any advice? Like, how can I label blank keycaps at home?
Pink fluffy unicorns dancing on rainbows.

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Keycaps and Dying - 122 Key IBM Model M
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 15:43:14 »
Slightly confused. You want to get keycaps to dye them grey, but you want to label black keycaps? Or blank keycaps?

Also, it's dyeing - dying is slightly different.
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 16:53:28 »
White stickers?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 17:05:49 »
You will not be happy with the results if you do what you describe.

Unicomp is your best source for most accessories.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 August 2014, 08:40:59 by fohat.digs »
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline ZefyrPyon

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 19:12:00 »
White stickers?

Any recommended source?

You will not be happy with the results if you do what you describe.

Unicomp is your best source for most accessories.

I'm probably gonna crap the plan and go DAS Keyboards style, RIT Dying everything black. I've also heard mixed reviews about Uni...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 19:32:23 »
Post #14 here is very helpful.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35444.msg658453#msg658453

Cases are ABS plastic which softens and deforms at about the same temperature that dye requires to "take" properly.

Unicomp is a great company and their customer service is excellent.

I have had good results with "Dupli-Color" from Auto Stores.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline ZefyrPyon

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 21:56:59 »
I'm probably gonna crap the plan and go DAS Keyboards style, RIT Dying everything black. I've also heard mixed reviews about Uni...

*scrap. Wow. Bad typo. D:

Post #14 here is very helpful.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35444.msg658453#msg658453

Cases are ABS plastic which softens and deforms at about the same temperature that dye requires to "take" properly.

Unicomp is a great company and their customer service is excellent.

I have had good results with "Dupli-Color" from Auto Stores.

I actually planned on using Duplicolor myself. XD Just finished paying for the keyboard. It should ship this week.

Offline wcass

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 10:50:01 »
If you want white legends on black keys, Unicomp made them many years ago but they were pad printed not dye-sub. The print sits on top of the cap and is a lot softer than the PBT cap. Unicomp discontinued them because they were the first thing to fail. Dyes on the other hand actually become part of the substrate. You have to wear away the cap to wear away the color. But you can't actually dye something a lighter color than it already is. Dyes absorb some wavelengths of light; the substrate absorbs some wavelengths; with the end result of less light (darker) than you started with.

You could get "black on dark gray" by using weaker dye or shorter time, but the color might be more susceptible to wear as the dye would not penetrate as deeply. The keys in my signature were in a boiling bath for an hour and have changed very little in 3 years.

If you know anyone with a laser engraver, you could engrave legends on caps that were dyed black. You could then dye those caps again any color to get black caps with colored text.

By the way, RIT changed their formula and it does not work on PBT anymore. Use iDye Poly (available online and at some art/fabric stores). I think it works even better than the old RIT ever did.

Offline ZefyrPyon

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 11:59:45 »
If you want white legends on black keys, Unicomp made them many years ago but they were pad printed not dye-sub. The print sits on top of the cap and is a lot softer than the PBT cap. Unicomp discontinued them because they were the first thing to fail. Dyes on the other hand actually become part of the substrate. You have to wear away the cap to wear away the color. But you can't actually dye something a lighter color than it already is. Dyes absorb some wavelengths of light; the substrate absorbs some wavelengths; with the end result of less light (darker) than you started with.

You could get "black on dark gray" by using weaker dye or shorter time, but the color might be more susceptible to wear as the dye would not penetrate as deeply. The keys in my signature were in a boiling bath for an hour and have changed very little in 3 years.

If you know anyone with a laser engraver, you could engrave legends on caps that were dyed black. You could then dye those caps again any color to get black caps with colored text.

By the way, RIT changed their formula and it does not work on PBT anymore. Use iDye Poly (available online and at some art/fabric stores). I think it works even better than the old RIT ever did.

Calling my local Joann's now to see if they have iDye Poly as I post this. :D