Author Topic: Hello Geekhack! 'Sup?  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Haverholm

Hello Geekhack! 'Sup?
« on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 16:39:50 »
So... I finally got around to post an introduction here!

I have known and heard tales of mechanical keyboards for a long time, but have yet to acquire one for myself. "Myself?" -you ask- "Who is that?" Okay, here goes:
I'm 33 and got into gaming pretty late in my life, just three years ago. Before that I had only ever owned a really ****ty laptop. But yeah, then I met my girlfriend and she introduced me to Civ V, and the rest is history (Yes, my gf got me hooked on gaming). Once I started seeing posters for Skyrim, I knew I had to invest in a crazy gaming monster machine, so I went out and paid around $3000 for a pre-build desktop PC, with a flashing Razer Deathadder mouse and a matching Arctosa keyboard.
Yeah.
Then I did some reading about computers and peripherals and realized I could have done it all much cheaper and better. But hey. The PC has been updated several times already, and I have finally decided that the next thing I'm upgrading will be the keyboard. So that's why I'm here.
I study Journalism, so I type a lot. I play first person shooters, so I use the wasd and 1-6 keys a lot. I'm also Danish, so finding a fitting keyboard is challenging.
I am 99% sure I'm going to buy a Poker II with brown switches (I'm going to buy the German version and stick blank keycaps on it) but it won't be ordered until next paycheck, so there's still time to change my mind... My heart did start beating quite a bit faster, when I saw the JD40...
Oh, well... we'll see. I'll take a look around and read the faq and the wiki and so on, before I ask too man stupid questions.
Catch you in the threads!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello Geekhack! 'Sup?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 16:58:05 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thing is, JD40 doesn't have 1-6 keys :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Haverholm

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 17:20:53 »
Welcome to Geekhack!
Thank you! :)

Quote from: rowdy
Thing is, JD40 doesn't have 1-6 keys :p
Thank the seven gods for layers! It's a bit like an onion, it is...

Offline cruzin

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 17:46:57 »
Welcome to the board and to the constant state of trying to decide what your next keyboard-related purchase should be!  :thumb:
Current: Ergodox (Ergo-clears) | Kinesis Advantage (Browns) -- Colemak
Future: HHKB Pro 2 | Maltron L90 | µtron | Axios

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 18:04:47 »
Can't go wrong with a Poker.  Nice first step.  :thumb:

Welcome to the site.

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 18:50:34 »
Nice choice and Hiyo!

Offline Haverholm

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 04:27:54 »
Thanks guys :)

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 09:04:58 »
Welcome!

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 11:30:08 »
Welcome to Geekhack. Make sure you are viewing this forum with Internet Explorer for a superior posting experience.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 13:34:42 »
WELCOME!