Author Topic: A Single Keyboard Wiki  (Read 2739 times)

Offline IndexPlusPlus

A Single Keyboard Wiki
« on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 11:35:23 »
I believe that for the sake of the keyboard community, there should be a single place to gather knowledge about keyboards, which is contributed to by all keyboard communities. I'm not saying that you should ditch the wiki you already have, but at least duplicate some content.

This link has more information.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: A Single Keyboard Wiki
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 11:36:55 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 11:38:30 »
The plans for the GH Wiki are outlined here. But I personally believe that if there is to be one Wiki, the keyboarding community should work on the Deskthority Wiki which is very very good.

I honestly think reddit is the worst way to organize information. And reddit isn't neutral, by being on reddit, you're automatically grouped into being associated with /r/mechanicalkeyboards...at least in my head.

Offline IndexPlusPlus

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 11:40:36 »
I didn't want to put it on reddit but I couldn't think of anything else that does the job.

New here, how do I reply to a post?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 11:41:14 »
The Deskthority Wiki, check out the link that ray posted.

Offline IndexPlusPlus

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 11:43:22 »
I would agree that DT's is the best right now, but there is still good stuff on /r/mechanicalkeyboards (despite your loathing) and the geekhack community have some great knowledge that as far as I know is not really transferred across.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 11:47:04 »
I would agree that DT's is the best right now, but there is still good stuff on /r/mechanicalkeyboards (despite your loathing) and the geekhack community have some great knowledge that as far as I know is not really transferred across.

So take the information that you find valuable on reddit and move it into the DT Wiki? GH has a lot of crossover from DT and much of the information here is added over there. For example, I added a Cherry product manual from 1979 to the DT Wiki.

And the DT Wiki already established so you wouldn't have to remake another Wiki. Why build something from new when there's already a good start elsewhere.

And I didn't say I didn't like /r/mechanicalkeyboards. I said I didn't like reddit as a platform for organizing information. That community has plenty of good information that I've used in my personal projects and on Geekhack.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 August 2014, 11:50:53 by CPTBadAss »

Offline IndexPlusPlus

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 11:52:03 »

So take the information that you find valuable on reddit and move it into the DT Wiki? GH has a lot of crossover from DT and much of the information here is added over there. For example, I added a Cherry product manual from 1979 to the DT Wiki.

And the DT Wiki already established so you wouldn't have to remake another Wiki. Why build somethinig from new when there's already a good start elsewhere.

And I didn't say I didn't like /r/mechanicalkeyboards. I said I didn't like reddit as a platform for organizing information. That community has plenty of good information that I've used in my personal projects and on Geekhack.

I was talking about the general feeling towards /r/mechanicalkeyboards on this website because of the r**ster fiasco. Not you in particular. I also don't feel the users of different websites will take well to contributing towards DT's wiki. Please note the Clarification I added to the Gist page too. Thanks :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 11:53:52 »
I also don't feel the users of different websites will take well to contributing towards DT's wiki.

Can you elaborate on why you feel this? It's easily the most comprehensive wiki on keyboards in my opinion.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 11:55:36 »
I also don't feel the users of different websites will take well to contributing towards DT's wiki.

Can you elaborate on why you feel this? It's easily the most comprehensive wiki on keyboards in my opinion.

Ripster would probably throw a fit regardless if anyone uses any of his info from reddit...also...I'm sure there will be a post from him about this thread anytime now. :facepalm:

Offline IndexPlusPlus

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 12:00:01 »
@   SpAmRaY

Actually, ripster is in favour of the idea.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 12:01:03 »
@   SpAmRaY

Actually, ripster is in favour of the idea.

I'm sure he is IF it was to be hosted at his reddit wiki

Offline IndexPlusPlus

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 12:02:30 »
@   SpAmRaY

He is following the thread, so I'm sure I'll get a reddit response from him in ~10 seconds on this matter.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 12:03:56 »
@   SpAmRaY

He is following the thread, so I'm sure I'll get a reddit response from him in ~10 seconds on this matter.

Yeah I saw he posted about it already and that is exactly my point. With Ripster it's got to be all about him. (Hi ripster!)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 12:05:48 »
Perhaps the point that Ray is trying to make, or a point that Ray raises, is that you want it to be neutral and we're already seeing a polarization in your opinion through these posts.

The DT Wiki is separate from the site and it's already so far along. Seems silly to create yet another iteration of an incomplete knowledge base instead of adding to a Wiki that's already along.

Offline IndexPlusPlus

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 12:06:40 »
@   SpAmRaY

OK, so ripster wants to boost his ego, don't we all. But that doesn't mean it's going to be hosted on reddit or for that matter have any more to do with his subreddit than with this site. I think he's proud enough of his good and serious contributions to the keyboard community to allow them to be put on a new wiki and I think that they would be a worthy addition.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 12:06:53 »
Honestly if I can't find something doing a quick search of geekhack I usually google it and most of the time one of the first links is to the DT Wiki.

Offline IndexPlusPlus

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 12:08:58 »
@ SpamRay I get the same thing often too, but having said that I have also found knowledge here and on /r/mechanicalkeyboards which makes it a total pain to find info. This is the whole point of the wiki. And to clear things up, I really don't want this to be biased towards /r/mechanicalkeyboards (that's a pain to type out again and again!) and I want everyone to feel as much as part of the project as anyone else.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 12:10:11 »
Perhaps we can take some of matt3o's ideas and do something

http://keypuller.com/

Offline IndexPlusPlus

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 12:11:46 »
@ Spamray

That's a brilliant site, and one I've never seen before! Bookmarked for later!

This is why we absolutely need the wiki. I would not have found this easily alone.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 13:29:50 »
trust me retspiR doesn't want a wiki that's not his to control
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 13:58:45 »
I will be very shocked if rip is on board with contributing his content to the DT wiki.  I don't think webwit would allow it, regardless.

Just to say it again, the animosity between geekhack and r/MK is 90% ripster himself.  Most of our current userbase was not around when he was active here.  It's a non-issue.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 14:32:58 »
fyi rip if you are reading this I am not trying to speak for you...

ripster in the past seemed to like that people discuss and share his content.
As long as they give credit to him or any other original author for the work!

The biggest problem I have seen him have with it is when someone reposts one of his pictures or his other content and does not reference that it came from him. This happens all the time and despite some users negative opinion of this... Watermark your photos!

Ripster was right in promoting this idea. I do not know how many times I have seen people repost pics from ripster, reaper, tsangen, jdcarpe, and many more and not reference where the original came from. but we all know because of the watermark.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 23:05:02 »
I will be very shocked if rip is on board with contributing his content to the DT wiki.  I don't think webwit would allow it, regardless.

This is the #1 reason we need a wiki that's not directly affiliated with a forum. GH, DT, Reddit: all communities have their own agenda. Now, while I may believe that GH's is the most pure, I think the only way to truly do this "right" is to have a non-partisan information collaborative (the "wiki" format is a good choice)

Offline IndexPlusPlus

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 01:37:30 »
Dorkvader pretty much explained my point. I'm creating it anyway, at wikia for the moment. See http://keyboards.wikia.com/wiki/Keyboard_Wiki

Support will be appreciated!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 01:44:47 »
ripster in the past seemed to like that people discuss and share his content.
As long as they give credit to him or any other original author for the work!
Haha. He likes that people discuss *him*, because he’s a narcissistic drama queen.

His content is a hodgepodge of useful, confusing, and misleading. Some of it can be handy, but it’s not a good basis for a general-purpose wiki.

To the OP: good luck with your wiki, but I don’t have high hopes. I think you’d be better off working to improve the deskthority wiki.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 August 2014, 01:47:21 by jacobolus »

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 02:01:16 »
I do not like ripsters mr wizard style of  documentation. but if something is put in this wikia that is not original work, it should be properly referenced regardless of the source.

Offline Halvar

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 07:53:58 »
So this comes down to a ripster debate again: ripster is banned on both GH and DT, so ripster can't contribute to the DT wiki -- and therefore we need a new wiki?

I prefer how it is today. Let ripster have his own platform that he can use however he pleases, for all of his good stuff as well as his arguable stuff, trolling and "Geekwhack" bashing, and let the rest of the world enjoy the two other platforms as well as other websites with great information like clickykeyboards, and use Google or Bing or whatever to find it all.