Author Topic: Yet another babe in the family  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Pinky

Yet another babe in the family
« on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 21:00:41 »
Long-time Model M user. Currently adapting to a Topre 55g TKL, and liking it pretty much.  Have been lurking here for a while, and am finding it a pretty wacky community with tons of creativity.  Seems like a place where innovation happens! Happy to be here.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Yet another babe in the family
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 21:37:42 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Such BS love lately :)

How would you compare the feel of 55g Topre with BS?  BS is stiffer?  My 45g HHKB is way lighter than my Model M, and I'm thinking that I would prefer a 55g Topre board.  As well as BS.  As well as MX black and green.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 21:46:37 »
Welcome!

Offline Pinky

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 13:54:18 »
I think Model M bs is a bit stiffer than the 55g, as the 55g just "feels" lighter.  Sorry, I can't compare to 45g, but coming from bs, it seems easy to adapt to, and given how this feels, I'm not sure that I'd want to go lighter.  What is funny is that the Topre feels "faster" for typing.  I'd need a comparo to measure if that is real, but it sure feels like I'm racing along.  I like the freedom to bottom out, which approximates the action of bs, although they certainly differ in detail.  Plus it is way quieter, with what feels like a thin cushion at bottom.  And am liking the TKL form factor for desk space reasons.  Can't offer any impressions re gaming, as I use consoles mostly.  Overall, it's a pleasure.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 18:49:36 »
Wacky community is certainly one way to put it.  :p

Welcome to GH.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 05:26:59 »
I think Model M bs is a bit stiffer than the 55g, as the 55g just "feels" lighter.  Sorry, I can't compare to 45g, but coming from bs, it seems easy to adapt to, and given how this feels, I'm not sure that I'd want to go lighter.  What is funny is that the Topre feels "faster" for typing.  I'd need a comparo to measure if that is real, but it sure feels like I'm racing along.  I like the freedom to bottom out, which approximates the action of bs, although they certainly differ in detail.  Plus it is way quieter, with what feels like a thin cushion at bottom.  And am liking the TKL form factor for desk space reasons.  Can't offer any impressions re gaming, as I use consoles mostly.  Overall, it's a pleasure.

Maybe the lack of mechanical parts moving around makes Topre seem faster, and also makes it seem lighter.  I could understand that!

You could look for a Model M SSK to save desk space ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ