Author Topic: Post your BS boards here!  (Read 433790 times)

Offline sharktastica

• CompSci research student, IBMer, r/ModelM mod
    • Admiral Shark's Keyboards
Re: Post your BS boards here!
« Reply #850 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 13:42:52 »
My beloved M50!
239325-0

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #851 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 15:44:38 »
Awesome post earlier in this page; that's a great collection. Most used boards in your rotation?

I don't think I ever posted in here. I have two grey labels, one plain old model M and one SSK that I need to get around to bolt modding. Ordered the hardware a week ago and just need to pick up a tool to undo the screw on the SSK case.

Thank you.  ;D It keeps me busy for sure.

The most used ones will be the F122 by a mile, followed by the Industrial M with oval badge, and one that isn't pictured, a Unicomp M122 that is currently in on warranty, which has been replaced with the SSK that I'm typing this out on now.

I switch it up from time to time, and they all get a little use on various computers in my house, if they aren't on or in a display of some variety.

I'm glad you did post on here. :) I'd love to see pictures of what you got, I'm never tired of looking at Model M's, even stock, they are just so cool.

Given it was due to be replaced very soon, I bought an Ultra Classic for the collection!

I'm thinking about doing the same, since they will soon probably be extinct. Plus it's so cool getting one with a manufacturing date of like a week ago.

Here is a silver label Model M 1390120, built January 14th 1987. Just finished restoring this thing from a mess of glue on the top case and cat hair everywhere to a bolt modded, new barrel plated, clean, and in my opinion beautiful board. Hands down this thing sounds better than my blue badge M5-2.
(Attachment Link)
Enjoy the 22MB PNG of this board ;)

10/10 would download each megabyte again.

The old lotus notes stickers are really neat.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #852 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 20:58:01 »
IBM Model M Soft Touch:
239635-0

My IBM Model M Soft Touch is a keyboard I got in the past three weeks, which I ordered from a guy in Texas. It's a very strange Model M for me, and will probably go on my desk at work because it's so quiet. It's also kind of mushy, but because it's so quiet and Buckling spring, it's hard for me to say no. Notably it's quieter in typing than my Model M Rubber Dome.

IBM Model M 0th Generation 1388032:
239637-1

My new IBM Model M, Black Square Badge came in a few days back, and after a vigorous cleaning is next to my 5251 my crown jewel of my collection. It's a very interesting keyboard I got through a friend of a friend who was selling it on the East coast, When I got it it's badge was on the ground in my box, which scared the crap outta me, I glued it on carefully, and cleaned everything to pieces, and now it's just amazing to me I own one. I never honestly thought I'd get my hands on one. It is very heavy for a Model M, and has a surprisingly lighter and pingier sound, and I'm not sure if it's because the mechanism is more like a Model F, or if the heavier case is giving the illusion of that feel. It works perfectly on a Soarers converter, but I'm honestly just scared to use it much, so I've only typed on it a little bit, and have otherwise kept it out for viewing.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #853 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 07:48:55 »
Tangentially off-topic, but does anyone have both a vintage industrial M and a replacement industrial case from Unicomp?

I only have the new replacement style, and I am curious about the color. To me is seems to have a brighter and greener hue than the old ones, but I have never actually seen an A-B comparison.

Thanks!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline sharktastica

« Reply #854 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 08:30:13 »
Tangentially off-topic, but does anyone have both a vintage industrial M and a replacement industrial case from Unicomp?

I only have the new replacement style, and I am curious about the color. To me is seems to have a brighter and greener hue than the old ones, but I have never actually seen an A-B comparison.

Thanks!

Correct, the colour has definitely changed compared to the earlier industrial cases. But I don't think it's necessarily a new development - there are late M13s (rebadged Unicomp On-The-Sticks) knocking around with that greenish hue too: http://www.clickykeyboard.com/2005/06H4173/06H4173-001.jpg. I don't have either to compare them against each other in a photo, though.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 April 2020, 08:31:50 by sharktastica »

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #855 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 08:43:44 »

Thanks!

It's funny you should mention, I'm getting a custom order put into Unicomp today or tomorrrow and I intend on getting one of the industrial cases to replace one of the ones I have as it's case is breaking down. I can do a comparison shot between three generations then for ya.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #856 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 15:01:05 »

I've got one real industrial (full size) and about 4 industrial shells (full size). I don't remember where the empty industrial shells come from: some NOS from back in the day that Unicomp sold? (honestly it's been a long time and I forgot how I got them) but...

Due to the lockdown I can't take a pic to compare: my real industrial is in Spain, most of my keyboards are in a garage (where I'm not supposed to go to) and here I've got only one "fake" industrial at home.

But I think in the past I posted pics here of these keyboards all together, I'll search a bit.
BTW: are the industrial cases still for sale? What about SSK industrial cases?
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #857 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 15:07:14 »

Here's an old pic I posted in this thread years ago. The "AB" one is the real industrial (with white-on-black keys from a M13) while the one on the front (with the "Geek Hack" ESC key) is a "fake" industrial (with keys from an Ambra).  Now I don't remember where I got these shells from: a group buy or Unicomp, I really don't remember.
Not the best pic to see the difference, if any, but it's all I found:

239683-0
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline JP

« Reply #858 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 15:43:21 »
Oh man I absolutely love that 'AB' industrial of yours.

I have the brother to it:

239685-0

I bought a couple NOS industrial cases myself. Unfortunately they do not have any SSK cases.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #859 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 16:18:18 »

I've got one real industrial (full size) and about 4 industrial shells (full size). I don't remember where the empty industrial shells come from: some NOS from back in the day that Unicomp sold? (honestly it's been a long time and I forgot how I got them) but...

Due to the lockdown I can't take a pic to compare: my real industrial is in Spain, most of my keyboards are in a garage (where I'm not supposed to go to) and here I've got only one "fake" industrial at home.

But I think in the past I posted pics here of these keyboards all together, I'll search a bit.
BTW: are the industrial cases still for sale? What about SSK industrial cases?

Unicomp still has them in their Warehouse liquidations section, They've been under the radar there for sometime. I'm planning on ordering one today or tomorrow myself.

Here's an old pic I posted in this thread years ago. The "AB" one is the real industrial (with white-on-black keys from a M13) while the one on the front (with the "Geek Hack" ESC key) is a "fake" industrial (with keys from an Ambra).  Now I don't remember where I got these shells from: a group buy or Unicomp, I really don't remember.
Not the best pic to see the difference, if any, but it's all I found:

I'd have jumped on that group buy so fast, those are good looking keyboards Tactical.

Are the white keys printed with Apple's keyboard font? It looks alot like that, It's neat.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #860 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 16:42:18 »
I have the brother to it:

Ooooh nice: had no idea there were "square label" AB Model Ms!

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #861 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 16:46:27 »
Are the white keys printed with Apple's keyboard font? It looks alot like that, It's neat.

I don't think it's the same font (and not all Ambra Model M have these "white" keys: I think most (?) have the regular color and the usual font printed). I've got a M3501 here and on it I'd say the Apple font is a tiny bit taller and a tiny bit thinner too.

I found a pic of that keyboard I posted to another board back in the days where the keys can be seen a bit better (it's missing the 'H' key, sadly):
239687-0
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 April 2020, 16:48:50 by TacticalCoder »

Offline JP

« Reply #862 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 17:33:36 »
NIB Lexmark SSK.

239689-0239691-1239701-2239693-3239695-4239697-5239699-6
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 April 2020, 17:56:43 by JP »

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #863 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 21:02:13 »

I don't think it's the same font (and not all Ambra Model M have these "white" keys: I think most (?) have the regular color and the usual font printed). I've got a M3501 here and on it I'd say the Apple font is a tiny bit taller and a tiny bit thinner too.

I found a pic of that keyboard I posted to another board back in the days where the keys can be seen a bit better (it's missing the 'H' key, sadly):
(Attachment Link)

It's a good look for the board, I've not seen many Model M's with a different font for their keycaps, it always strikes me when I do.

NIB Lexmark SSK.

I didn't even know Lexmark produced an SSK, the included manual is also just amazing, I'm really tempted to get Unicomp to print me a set of the keycaps they show, because it looks cool and retro.

Offline JP

« Reply #864 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 22:08:35 »
I didn't even know Lexmark produced an SSK, the included manual is also just amazing, I'm really tempted to get Unicomp to print me a set of the keycaps they show, because it looks cool and retro.

Yep, Lexmark took over once IBM divested their keyboard operations. Lexmark mostly made keyboards for IBM with the IBM logo of course and it seems the Lexmark branded boards are not as common.

Also speaking of retro colored keys, check this out. It's a shame this company is no longer is business.
https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=3959

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #865 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 10:33:11 »
Quick restoration of my rustmeister 5251 done; it's only been four years in the making.

Had the internal structure cerakoted with Salvun. Turned out better that I could've hoped for.

Stole some keycaps from a Selectric that had one of the weirdest SE/FI layouts I've come across.

The non-alphanums are original from the keyboard, along with their uneven yellowing.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #866 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 10:34:58 »
Quick restoration of my rustmeister 5251 done; it's only been four years in the making.

Show Image

Show Image

Had the internal structure cerakoted with Salvun. Turned out better that I could've hoped for.

Show Image

Stole some keycaps from a Selectric that had one of the weirdest SE/FI layouts I've come across.

Show Image

The non-alphanums are original from the keyboard, along with their uneven yellowing.

Yellowing is to be embraced. Nice photos, and those front-legend stickers are pretty darn cool.

Offline JP

« Reply #867 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 12:24:30 »
That turned out amazing. Sometimes the best projects take the longest to come to fruition.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #868 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 15:21:15 »

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline sharktastica

Offline sharktastica

« Reply #870 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 05:10:46 »
Decked out my M13 with blue ANSI set caps from Unicomp:
241199-0

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #871 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 18:10:19 »
At long last, after several years, it's here! Thank you to Ellipse for his hard work in recreating this beauty. The F62 Model F Kishsaver.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Damnnnnnnnnnn legendary board right here... Very clean. Love the wrapped.  :thumb:

Offline funkmon

« Reply #872 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 20:13:35 »
Okay guys, I've got a NOS M122 coming in the mail! Looking forward to trying to Soarer's converter that bad lad!

I've also got my old 1993 Lexmark, original owner, in with Unicomp for a refurbishment and repair.

Currently, I'm still using my normal Unicomp on this computer.

Though I'm cheating on it with my Matias Tactile Pro on the other one. Don't tell it! :D

But on another note, hey Shark. How does the Unicomp Endurapro or whatever that **** is called with the mouse nub thing compare to the M13?
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 May 2020, 20:21:20 by funkmon »

Offline sharktastica

« Reply #873 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 15:29:42 »
But on another note, hey Shark. How does the Unicomp Endurapro or whatever that **** is called with the mouse nub thing compare to the M13?

I know I already answered this question for you on r/ModelM, but I thought I'd still answer here so others can read or add to it.

There's a lot different between the two pointing stick implementations, but it's mostly down to differing technology rather than outright build quality. Lexmark and Maxi Switch produced M13s used a strain gauge based TrackPoint (II) that is always immobile, which is the same technology Lenovo continues to use on ThinkPads to this day (with the addition of the very sorely missed negative inertia features of TrackPoint III and IV). Unicomp's On-The-Stick M13, old Mighty Mouse, and EnduraPro use a force-sensing resistor instead (again without negative inertia), which physically moves when you prod it. Both technologies are quite frankly inadequate for high-resolution environments of today because they're from the early to mid-'90s and don't have the new features late-'90s TrackPoints received, but both can be made useful with the help of software acceleration and programs that can push it beyond what Windows or other OSes native offer (in fact, I'm working on a cross-platform app to do just that with amazing results already). Anyway, besides that mutual weakness, I'd say IBM's tech is still better since Unicomp's pointing stick without major acceleration tweaks is effectively handicapped by the G, H, and B keys blocking it on the up-left, up-right, and absolute down axes respectively.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #874 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 17:38:40 »
Shark also indicated he's working on a software solution to this problem, which is something I'd definitely be interested in.

Offline sharktastica

« Reply #875 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 15:40:55 »
Shark also indicated he's working on a software solution to this problem, which is something I'd definitely be interested in.

That's true, I'm working on some software to improve the performance of old pointing devices being confronted with modern display resolutions and other useful functionalities for vintage keyboard peeps. I can't make any promises on if or when there's availability since I'm developing when I have spare time, but I'm certain I want to complete it eventually since I would make heavy use out of it, it could be of use to others, and it's something to stick in my portfolio. It'll be cross-platform for definite though, so Linux users won't miss out (especially given I'm one too), and will be open source. In the meantime, there are already similar mouse acceleration enhancers out there.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 May 2020, 15:44:10 by sharktastica »

Offline BrooklynTony198

• A person was here.... Now its only keyboards.
« Reply #876 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 16:23:02 »
I just picked up a few Selectric II typewriters for $20. I mean, they aren't technically buckling spring keyboards, but there is a buckling spring in one of the mechanisms, so I guess it kinda fits. This is probably the closest thing I'll get to a beamspring. They all need some TLC... don't know if the green one will survive.

You know, people say that the beamspring with solenoid is loud, that the Model M and F are loud, well you gotta get one of these. I got one of them half working and man, is it loud! I recorded over 90db! Some of the keys were actually sticking but once it made a few punches at the paper the entire thing loosened up. Huh...

IBM Model M5-2        IBM Model F XT       Asteria60             AntaresTKL           Scorpii9

Offline JP

« Reply #877 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 18:37:36 »
You know, people say that the beamspring with solenoid is loud, that the Model M and F are loud, well you gotta get one of these. I got one of them half working and man, is it loud! I recorded over 90db! Some of the keys were actually sticking but once it made a few punches at the paper the entire thing loosened up. Huh...

Ha! Check this out. The bell is actually from a Selectric.

Offline BrooklynTony198

« Reply #878 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 20:50:32 »

Ha! Check this out. The bell is actually from a Selectric.

Oh god, thats loud. I just fixed one of the blue ones; I need to replace the main hub since its thumping and has a large crack in it. I also just noticed that the thing is also missing most of the feed mechanism! Guess I'll salvage that off of the green one. Its fun to type on, though! Highly recommended if you have the time and patience to get these old things working; its as satisfying as buckling springs, if not more.

Here it is, semi-working.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 May 2020, 19:55:49 by BrooklynTony198 »

IBM Model M5-2        IBM Model F XT       Asteria60             AntaresTKL           Scorpii9

Offline funkmon

« Reply #879 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 21:17:33 »
Here's the size difference between a full sized keyboard and an M122 battlecruiser.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #880 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 20:13:53 »
*sigh*

Offline widdlekitty

« Reply #881 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 00:08:47 »

This guy came in this week. Really loving it so far.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #882 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 19:32:58 »
Recently, I purchased two Model Ms for $70, which is slightly expensive for a generic Model M, but not that bad. You'll see why I bought both shortly.

The first one is a Model M13, which supposedly worked. Great deal, right? Well...

Here's my "Lexmark" "working" Model M13 with trackpoint. I managed to find one on eBay for $70, which is expensive for a Model M, but cheap for an M13, even one that's highly used. I picked it up, since, while it looked dirty, it didn't look terribly dirty.

Honestly, for a 20 year old keyboard, this isn't bad. Other than the part where the trackpoint ****ing module doesn't ****ing work so what's even the ****ing point. Going to try to get a refund for the item cost and send it in to Unicomp.

Some minor board chow, but, again, not bad. The cable is obviously near death. It turns out it's a Maxi Switch M13, not one made by Lexmark. I was hoping for Made In The USA on the back.

In comparison, I got a 1993 IBM Terminal keyboard from Drake, a moderator on the Model M subreddit. The back doesn't say who made it, presumably Lexmark, but I'm not sure. It's pretty swell! Love the extra spacebar on the numpad, like always.

It's in great condition, nearly new in terms of the business end. It even comes with a Dollarama tier Canadian flag and a sticker.

You can see in the top right a janked together internal Soarer's converter. These are available commercially from $35. Value added!

While the keyboard was clearly used, the keys and (upper) case look basically new! Awesome! I think I got a good deal on both. I'm very pleased.

Offline sharktastica

« Reply #883 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 05:51:39 »
I received my second M13 today - a 1995 P/N 92G7461 by Lexmark. Even came with a sealed user guide!
243275-0
243277-1
243279-2
243281-3
243283-4
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 May 2020, 05:55:35 by sharktastica »

Offline funkmon

« Reply #884 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 17:55:24 »
Why do we think those M13s were so textured?

Offline sharktastica

« Reply #885 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 09:45:50 »
Was your Maxi Switch also as textured as much as Lexmark's/Unicomp's?

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #886 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 10:19:07 »
Before

243385-0

After

243387-1

Offline funkmon

« Reply #887 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 19:23:56 »
Before

(Attachment Link)

After

(Attachment Link)

Holy smokes, that looks good. It just needs a set of straight black keycaps. How'd you do it?

Was your Maxi Switch also as textured as much as Lexmark's/Unicomp's?

Yeah it is, it's actually pretty jarring. If you look closely in the post above, you can see the M13 and the Gen 3 IBM at the same magnification and you can tell the M13 is highly textured.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #888 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 09:19:13 »
Before

(Attachment Link)

After

(Attachment Link)

Holy smokes, that looks good. It just needs a set of straight black keycaps. How'd you do it?

Took it apart, gave it a good clean, spray painted it grey and bought some grey and white caps from Unicomp.
I tried a set of black keycaps. I think this looks better.

Offline BrooklynTony198

« Reply #889 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 14:22:23 »
I received my second M13 today - a 1995 P/N 92G7461 by Lexmark. Even came with a sealed user guide!

Now that you have an M5-2 and a M13, which would you use more? (probably the M13, right) I wonder why the M5-2 is so forgotten, its probably rarer than the M13 and you would think more people would try and collect them. I guess the trackpoint won the battle over the trackball.

Offline sharktastica

« Reply #890 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 17:44:29 »

Now that you have an M5-2 and a M13, which would you use more? (probably the M13, right) I wonder why the M5-2 is so forgotten, its probably rarer than the M13 and you would think more people would try and collect them. I guess the trackpoint won the battle over the trackball.
I grew up with ThinkPads, so the M13 for sure. The M5-2 isn't bad though, and I think when you take into account the technology difference from then to now, the old trackballs hold up more than early TrackPoint implementations.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #891 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 00:33:00 »
Made me stop and think about it. Ok.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #892 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 00:36:46 »
The Maxi Switch is the black one. The Lexmark is the white one. I guess I would have to dig them both out but probably the white one is more textured than the black one.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #893 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 00:38:00 »
*shrug*

Offline funkmon

« Reply #894 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 20:29:43 »
Here's a few from me.

1. This is the Lexmark Industrial Grey Frankenkeyboard I just apprehended. To fully frankenstein it, I got geekhack function keys.

2. Here's the Unicomp New Model M.

It's a fairly early model I think. I haven't seen an earlier date than this, but to be fair, I haven't seen many New Model Ms around.

Offline sharktastica

« Reply #895 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 15:12:10 »
If only I had a kishsaver to fill the gap...
243931-0
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 May 2020, 15:15:59 by sharktastica »

Offline funkmon

« Reply #896 on: Sun, 31 May 2020, 19:59:02 »

This one hasn't entered the typing rotation yet. It's got a broken clip and I'm trying to resolve this issue at the moment, but it's pretty neat! 1992 Lexmark branded board. See more photographs here.

https://imgur.com/a/U6K4Hg8

Shark, you should make a custom case mod and just get a few more M50s and make a very long Model M.
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 May 2020, 20:00:49 by funkmon »

Offline JP

« Reply #897 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 14:19:23 »
M122 from Unicomp's Black Friday sale.

244313-0

IBM Model M 1394618

244315-1

IBM Model M 1395100 - Eagle Computers Branded

244317-2
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 June 2020, 14:34:49 by JP »

Offline funkmon

« Reply #898 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 16:06:22 »
Here's one for the people googling from the future.

I bought a sealed, new in box, Model M, part number 1393990. I've never heard of this part number, and from some quick searching, I still couldn't find it. So, I popped in an offer, inflated by the mystery of the board, and bought it for $125.

Turns out 1393990 is the part number for the goddamn box and it just had another 1391401 in it. WTF m8.

In the mean time, I whipped out my Model F XT to test just to be sure I still have the layout down and it's usable. So far my only issue going back to it is the lack of Numpad enter, which I never used to use when I was younger, but, apparently, I use now. Just soarer'ed numpad plus to enter though and I'm all right. I also don't use the tilde key so I turned those into a medium-ass enter, which is fine for me, though I did used to use the ISO layout with enough frequency that that's easy to go back to. I don't know why I don't like the enter key on the XT anymore.

Oh well. Mapped F9 to the Windows key, and so far everything is peachy keen. I don't like the sound though. I never have. The nice thock thock thock of the Model M to me, is much preferred.

« Last Edit: Thu, 04 June 2020, 16:08:32 by funkmon »

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #899 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 22:13:40 »
Here’s another one

Before

244339-0

After

244341-1