Author Topic: UK Model M  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Ultra-m-a-n

UK Model M
« on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 11:31:06 »
Hello,

Ive been casually looking for a model M or buckiling spring keyboard, and someone is offering to sell me one for $51 it is  a UK layout one and I dont know too much about model M's and I'm just posting here to get you guys' input and to see if this is a decent deal. If not I may buy a used Unicomp 101 classic USB for about the same price.

Enough rambling heres some pics of the UK model M that I am being offered.

75266-0

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: UK Model M
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 11:40:47 »
that label doesn't look like a model m to me
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 11:50:52 »
that label doesn't look like a model m to me

The UK (greenrock) labels look different than the USA (lexington ?) ones. That label is missing half of it (not too uncommon on greenrock ones, I think they used worse glue) but the bottom half looks like it should.

$51 is probably a good deal for a UK model M. They aren't much cheaper in the states, and we all know how much harder it is to get one in the UK. There should be a beige label under that function-key-sticker on the case, judging by the detachable SDL cable. I recommend testing it before buying if possible.

Note: I don't follow pricing on the UK eBay, you may want to check with a UK member to make sure. Looks to be pretty clean and is only missing one relatively unimportant keycap.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 11:54:09 »
TIL
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Ultra-m-a-n

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 12:11:30 »
So the question remains, should I buy this board? Or a used Unicomp one thats here on geekhack?

and nice catch on the keycap missing! I didnt even notice that!

Oh and this board looks like the one on this link (with the exception of the stickers on the one i posted)
http://www.preater.com/modelm/

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 12:34:35 »
Interesting, I didn't know greenrock used wire stabilizers on the vertical keys as late as 1989!

Thanks for the link.

As far as which to buy: up to you they are both great keyboards. Some people prefer the feel of the older one (with heavier plate) to the unicomp (lighter plate), but I have used both for some time and enjoy them both. Then again, I'm not as picky as some here.

Offline Ultra-m-a-n

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 12:42:38 »
Interesting, I didn't know greenrock used wire stabilizers on the vertical keys as late as 1989!

Thanks for the link.

As far as which to buy: up to you they are both great keyboards. Some people prefer the feel of the older one (with heavier plate) to the unicomp (lighter plate), but I have used both for some time and enjoy them both. Then again, I'm not as picky as some here.

Youre welcome! the link came from my googling last night since the seller didnt know too much about it..
Im just kinda worried that the UK layout might weird me out, but I really like the idea of having a keyboard that is older than I am.

As far as the missing keycap, are they pretty cheap and easy to replace?

Ill probably go with the cheapest option, since im pretty strapped for cash!

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 12:56:11 »
Yeah, you can get a single replacement from unicomp for like $.80 (they have a $10 minimum order though) or eBay (usually like $5) or from someone here on the forums. Or just live with it. I had two missing keycaps on my first M. I put them where I wouldn't mind and used it like that for at least 2-3 years. As I said: I'm not too picky.

About the UK layout: you can switch it back to US ANSI, but it requires that you bolt mod it. The mod itself isn't too hard once you get used to it, but it does involve a lot of precise drilling.

Offline Ultra-m-a-n

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 12:59:04 »
Yeah, you can get a single replacement from unicomp for like $.80 (they have a $10 minimum order though) or eBay (usually like $5) or from someone here on the forums. Or just live with it. I had two missing keycaps on my first M. I put them where I wouldn't mind and used it like that for at least 2-3 years. As I said: I'm not too picky.

About the UK layout: you can switch it back to US ANSI, but it requires that you bolt mod it. The mod itself isn't too hard once you get used to it, but it does involve a lot of precise drilling.

Seems pretty involved, and yeah you really arent that picky!

I think that I'll adapt, I was typing on a German layout cherry board when I was in Berlin, and that wasnt too bad!

Offline maatmouse

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 12:56:19 »
I have a UK Model M. An authentic Model M complete with keyboard adaptor (5 pin din to PS/2). I've been cleaning it up since I had it. The previous owner had left it a bit worse for wear. I'm not sure I'm going to use it at work, as its quite an old piece and the PS/2 to USB adaptor hasn't arrived yet.

It also sounds like it may be a bit too noisy for work. It also weighs a ton.