Author Topic: USB solder type connector recommendations  (Read 2272 times)

Offline turtlelordjp

USB solder type connector recommendations
« on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 20:20:39 »
Does anyone have preferences on what type of connectors & cables they use to make custom cables/ where you get them.  Looking to make some cables and was wondering what people thought.

Offline daftendire

Re: USB solder type connector recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 21:05:41 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44924.0

That's Nubbinator's old thread on his process of making usb cables. In the middle of the page somewhere he gives a list of parts used and some associated links. There are many more sites that have usb connectors for sale if you do a google search though.

Offline daftendire

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 21:09:15 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44924.0

That's Nubbinator's old thread on his process of making usb cables. In the middle of the page somewhere he gives a list of parts used and some associated links. There are many more sites that have usb connectors for sale if you do a google search though.

I've been trying to make one myself, with salvaged usb connectors but haven't come across a cable that is small enough to be sleeved with paracord.

I know that doesn't help much  ;)

Edit: Tried to edit my first reply and somehow ended up quoting and replying to myself. That's enough internets for today.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 August 2014, 21:11:22 by daftendire »

Offline turtlelordjp

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 21:21:56 »
yeah, it will be hard finding the right type of wire for cheap enough to make making my own cables worth it.  for a good cable you want 24 gauge (at least on the charging ones) and 4 wires.  Cat5 is usually 24 gauge, but 8 wires. maybe pull the inner wires out and just use the para-cord to hold it together? Not sure how well that would work, but it's a thought

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 17:15:29 »
I use this cable:
http://btpa.com/CA-0363.html

It's ultraflexible subminiature quadmic cable (designed for making custom mini-XLR cables for field recording). I mainly use it because it's got similar size and electrical properties to the mogami version (which you can only get a whole 1000 ft roll of) which is rated for like 20,000 flex cycles (way more than a normal USB cable).

There are a few problems with using this cable.
1. It's really small. This make sit hard to strip. I recommend getting a dedicated wire stripper, as using a knife sucks.
2. It doesn't support much weight. You have to make sure you crimp your strain relief really well on both sides. I also strongly recommend using cable sheathing to further increase the tensile strength.

On the plus side, it's really flexible, works well, is cheap, etc. This is my fav. cable to use for USB stuff.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 17:44:46 »
yeah, it will be hard finding the right type of wire for cheap enough to make making my own cables worth it.  for a good cable you want 24 gauge (at least on the charging ones) and 4 wires.  Cat5 is usually 24 gauge, but 8 wires. maybe pull the inner wires out and just use the para-cord to hold it together? Not sure how well that would work, but it's a thought

24ga is too thick for most paracord.  26ga is even pushing it.  Keep in mind that a lot of the current smartphone charging cables are using 28ga, including samsung and the usb 3.0 cables they provide with the note 3/s5 (I think the s5 is usb 3.0...).  With a little searching, you can find 28ga usb cable for around $.25/ft and that's about the best guaranteed fit for paracord.

Also, if you're making charging only cables, just running your power/ground is acceptable, which means you can use a thicker gauge at that point.

Offline turtlelordjp

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 23:35:58 »
Thanks.  I also just hacked open an old Ipod charging cable and I thin something like that would work if I can get them cheap enough from somewhere like monoprice.com, and then solder on only one side

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 02:07:38 »
Thanks.  I also just hacked open an old Ipod charging cable and I thin something like that would work if I can get them cheap enough from somewhere like monoprice.com, and then solder on only one side

A lot of the monoprice cables I've come across are a 24/28 combo which is still too thick without cutting away the rubber outer sleeve.  The cheapest I've found for something like that usually comes direct from china through amazon, ebay or one of the buying services (the latter of which hit you hard with a ton of fees).

Here's one that's alright, though - http://www.acctown.com/products/apple-lightning-to-usb-cable-data-charging-sync  Cut the lightnig end off, solder on mini usb or whatever.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 23:57:22 »
Were I making cables with paracord, I'd cut off the sleeve, leaving the braided shield showing, then wrap it in kapton tape before sleeving in paracord.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 01:01:32 »
Were I making cables with paracord, I'd cut off the sleeve, leaving the braided shield showing, then wrap it in kapton tape before sleeving in paracord.

That would work, too.  Really, there are a bunch of ways to do it in small handful one-offs

Offline daftendire

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 18:18:03 »
I just used connectors from this site below. Definitely over paid... especially for shipping but it's still cheaper than getting a whole cable custom made.

http://www.showmecables.com/product/USB-A-Male-Connector.aspx
http://www.showmecables.com/product/Mini-USB-5-Pin-Male-Connector.aspx

Someone above mentioned using an old 30 pin Ipod charging cable. So I used one of those and was able to slide the paracord right over it. Perfect fit. Now just waiting on the 3:1 heat shrink to arrive.