Author Topic: blinking website  (Read 4783 times)

Offline genegold

blinking website
« on: Thu, 11 June 2009, 19:55:30 »
I'm new here and have found the site very helpful for info and purchasing of a 1391401.  

I'm writing now because as I'm viewing the site, it's going light and dark repeatedly to the rhythm of an arrow click as I scroll the page (same with mouse).  It's a like flicker effect - or maybe it actually is.  My first thought was that I forgot to install the monitor's driver and check the refresh rate after installing new computer innards over the weekend, but neither of those changes it.  Also the gray on the page is fairly lite, which makes the  box outlines barely visible.  Am I missing something or is this a function of a black background?

Update: After writing this, I found another site with a black background where the same thing is apparent.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 June 2009, 20:16:54 by genegold »

Offline o2dazone

blinking website
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 June 2009, 20:30:42 »
You found our easter egg! Our blinking website gag has first been discovered by you, congratulations!!

Offline IBI

blinking website
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 June 2009, 20:35:56 »
Quote from: genegold;95588
Update: After writing this, I found another site with a black background where the same thing is apparent.

While I've never seen a flashing website background I always use to get wierd scanner effects when my graphics card drivers didn't install themselves correctly so that might be something to check.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline genegold

blinking website
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 June 2009, 23:37:51 »
Quote from: o2dazone;95590
You found our easter egg! Our blinking website gag has first been discovered by you, congratulations!!

And I thought I was reliving the days of jug wine and acid in Muir Woods.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
blinking website
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 June 2009, 13:00:44 »
When asking for help, it's usually a good idea to mention any details that may be relevant.

Like, say, the web browser. Or the type of graphics card (w/ driver version).

People's crystal balls are usually either broken, in repair or absent for some other reason.

I can only state that I have not noticed any such problems using Seamonkey 1.1.16 with a either a Matrox G550 (Win2k, fairly recent driver) or ATI Radeon 9000 (S2k3, Catalyst 5.12 or thereabouts).

The cause could be something as simple as a missing driver for the graphics card or hardware acceleration not turned up, though at this point noone will be able to come up with more than a WAG.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline genegold

blinking website
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 June 2009, 14:38:43 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;95723
When asking for help, it's usually a good idea to mention any details that may be relevant.

Like, say, the web browser. Or the type of graphics card (w/ driver version).

People's crystal balls are usually either broken, in repair or absent for some other reason.

I can only state that I have not noticed any such problems using Seamonkey 1.1.16 with a either a Matrox G550 (Win2k, fairly recent driver) or ATI Radeon 9000 (S2k3, Catalyst 5.12 or thereabouts).

The cause could be something as simple as a missing driver for the graphics card or hardware acceleration not turned up, though at this point noone will be able to come up with more than a WAG.

Opera 10b1, IE8, FF 3.latest
MSI Radeon 4670 (ATI driver 8.612)

Update: I turned off video acceleration and it had no effect on this issue.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 June 2009, 23:56:20 by genegold »

Offline genegold

blinking website
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 June 2009, 20:19:07 »
I had to laugh.  I went to the local library today to check out how this site looks on their computers.  But TrendMicro threw up a block notice, saying http://www.geekhack.org is a malicious website.  Well, I guess the jig is up...

The library staff didn't have the license numbers needed for the mistaken block report, so I went to TM's site and opened a case #.  If Mr. geek writes - or is it Mr. hack? - I can provide the particulars.

Offline o2dazone

blinking website
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 14 June 2009, 13:20:27 »
It's got the word HACK in it. Look out!!

Offline itlnstln

blinking website
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 June 2009, 08:24:58 »
I had problems for ahwile with Websense blocking GeekHack.  I e-mailed their support and had them re-evaluate the site.  They had re-categorized by the end of the day.

Offline genegold

blinking website
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 June 2009, 08:57:40 »
Quote from: itlnstln;96403
I had problems for ahwile with Websense blocking GeekHack.  I e-mailed their support and had them re-evaluate the site.  They had re-categorized by the end of the day.

Trend Micro is more bureaucratic.  They need a site license and that awaits the library's tech mgr Monday morning.

Offline genegold

blinking website
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 09:39:49 »
Back to the original topic of this thread, I've established that the blinking on black happens on some monitors quite subtly and not at all on others.  Mine is not subtle.  I have a short video, but there's no place for attachments here.  Have to check with VGA.

Offline Stevie Wonder

• http://www.steviewonder.net/
blinking website
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 09:43:10 »
No problem here.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
blinking website
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 10:20:25 »
My bets would be on Overdrive acting up. I only have access to comparatively slow PVA panels without this. Took getting used to at the very beginning, as it's quite noticeable during slow scrolling, but nowadays I don't mind.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline genegold

blinking website
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 11:38:28 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;97039
My bets would be on Overdrive acting up. I only have access to comparatively slow PVA panels without this. Took getting used to at the very beginning, as it's quite noticeable during slow scrolling, but nowadays I don't mind.

I wasn't familiar with Overdrive or PVA, but a little search comes up with a good article: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/monitors/2009/02/06/the-dark-side-of-overdrive/2.  My monitor is an AG Neovo E-19a, built roughly 6 or 7 years ago, which according to the article predates PVA overdrive.  I've been in touch with the company's US tech rep, who suggested checkiing the default settings, but that didn't fix anything.