Author Topic: RF 87U 45g vs 55g vs FC660C [Updated]  (Read 7925 times)

Offline Altis

RF 87U 45g vs 55g vs FC660C [Updated]
« on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 23:56:51 »
[Update] See below, I went with the 55g (for starters), but now am thinking about switching to 45g.

I hope I don't get flamed for posting this topic, but I'm seriously stuck on this three-sided fence for my first Topre keyboard.

I'm hoping others have experience with two or three of these and can give their opinions on the feeling/sound of these boards.

From what I've gathered, 87U 45g are slightly lighter than the FC660C 45g, and 87U 55g are possibly the best feeling/most tactile, but can be fatiguing. It seems like the FC660C is right in between the two and has a great layout, so I've put that one at the top of my list... but the Realforces are both more readily available (EK). The 45g is only in black with black legends, which is meh, while the 55g is in the very nice white/light grey. FC660C can be had in all black/blank caps, which I like.

All these pros/cons and lack of using any of them has made me stall up in the decision. I may end up having to get both an FC660C and 55g, but my wallet (and the Mrs. Altis), might not be so understanding.  :eek:

I'm hoping these could be something of my 'unicorn' keyboard, and will be my tenth (and hopefully final). I do want to stress that my focus is on feel and sound of the board.

Thanks for your help in sorting through my thoughts and with any information that you can help me with!
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 March 2015, 12:09:42 by Altis »
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: RF 87U 45g vs 55g vs FC660C
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 00:03:26 »
get the 55g RF87u. It (IMO) is the best feeling topre switch of all. My only beef with it is that it's in tkl form. If only RF would make something smaller i'd never need another keyboard.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 00:16:19 »
+1 for 55g 87U.

My HHKB is great, but a bit too light.  On the MX side I prefer blacks and greens, so 55g Topre would be my preference.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Altis

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 01:16:31 »
Thanks for the replies. The HHKB, while it looks fantastic, simply is too impractical for me. I have a large desk so shaving off the arrow keys is where I draw the line.

I usually type on MX Blue these days, as well as buckling springs.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 01:40:18 »
all great  :p

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 04:13:42 »
Thanks for the replies. The HHKB, while it looks fantastic, simply is too impractical for me. I have a large desk so shaving off the arrow keys is where I draw the line.

I usually type on MX Blue these days, as well as buckling springs.

The plate-mounted Topres sound and feel, in my opinion, far superior to the HHKB anyway. The HHKB sounds like an hollow plastic box. Maybe because that's exactly what it is.

I own 2 RF 87U variable, one RF 88UB 45g, one FC660C and one HHKB Pro 2 Type-S.

I cannot guess which switch weight you will prefer, but here are my thoughts:
- if you have enough space, a real TKL is probably better than the FC660C. The lack of direct access to Home/End/PgUp/PgDn on the FC660C and the lack of function keys is not a big problem, but can be frustrating at times. The FC660C is cute and useable, but a RF gives you better productivity.
- Avoid the black on black RF like the plague. I have one, unfortunately, and it's totally unreadable.
- The RF 87U feels slightly lighter than the FC660C, but it's mainly due to some keys on the RF 87U being 30g (the keys which are supposed to be pressed with the pinkies). Overall, they feel and sound pretty similar (and they feel and sound really great).
- The lack of availability of a white RF should not have any impact on your buying decision. Deciding based on availability is not wise, and you may regret this later! We are talking about a high quality keyboard here, one you may keep using for years. While this may add a little bit to the cost, white RFs are available at the keyboard company (keyboardco.com) for example.

Good luck! :)

Offline Altis

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 18:42:55 »
Alright, so my Realforce 87UW 55g has arrived, and here are my initial thoughts.

It does feel very tactile, much more so than I thought it would. It's about as heavy as I would want it to be, and I absolutely love the sound (possibly the best part). The keystrokes are very smooth feeling, with the tactile bump very pronounced.

The build quality isn't quite what I had hoped given the price. The board doesn't sit perfectly flat, with or without the feet extended, although I type on a large mat so this doesn't bother me too much. The keycaps feel good and very snug with the switch, however when looking at an angle, you can see the outline of the other side of the keycap. I found this to be very odd, and I'll take some photos of what I mean. It doesn't seem to affect the feel though, so not a huge deal. The light-grey modifiers on white body and keys looks great, to my eyes.

Overall, I'm really liking the typing experience. It makes me even more curious as to what the 45g boards feel like -- in particular, the FC660C.

I'd describe Topre as being very much a rubber dome, albeit one of the more tactile ones (at least with 55g) with a hard bottom-out and high quality caps. That's it in a nutshell. In fact, I think I used to have a keyboard back in the early 90s that sounded and felt very similar to think one, and it was a rubber dome. I wish I could recall what it was... maybe I can find it in a photo somewhere. I've never been opposed to high-quality membrane keyboards as some of them can be quite nice to type on, so it's no surprise that this is to my liking.

I will take photos and write a more detailed review after a few miles are put on the board. I will try to compare it with my other boards, although it doesn't really fall into mechanical keyboards if you ask me.

Offline salcan

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 19:19:22 »
Good thread! I went through the same process but added in the HHKB as well. I did this after about 2 years on an variable 87u which I got tired of (too light and didn't like the black on black).

long story short - I think they are all great boards, but I like the HHKB the best and then it's a toss up between the Leo PBT and the RF 55g. Each has their strengths -- the Leo is a nice size and has that metal plate which makes the switch really snappy but the RF has a better layout and a firmer switch. The HKKB is entirely it's own thing, but regardless of its layout, it's an incredible take on Topre. Definitely worth trying, even if you hate the layout or live and die by your arrow keys.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 21:22:53 »
The build quality isn't quite what I had hoped given the price. The board doesn't sit perfectly flat, with or without the feet extended, although I type on a large mat so this doesn't bother me too much.

This is easy to fix...Place it on a hard FLAT surface...press down on all four corners of the board at the same time...if it is still off you might need to twist the board...twisting the board is like grabbing the two sides (so left and right side of the board) and one hand going up and one going down.  You will know which way to twist based on how your board is not sitting flat..Don't twist hard, just a bit.  Then go back to pressing the four corners.

The reason the board is like that is not the quality of the build but because of how the case is put together and how it can be taken apart...the result means the board can get twisted...I think it is actually a good thing seeing as it doesn't impact how solid the board is...

The only thing I dislike (and it isn't even a big deal) on RF's is the LED key (so ctrl or caps lock) is really loose...and that is because of the change to the switch for the LED....I'd rather they didn't have the LED but really, you don't even notice it while using it....

55g Topre is nice...I think it is too stiff but still quite nice...

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 00:03:45 »
Based on my Topre feelings so far, I'd go for one of the Realforce.  For some reason, I just cannot like the FC660C.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 00:11:27 »
Based on my Topre feelings so far, I'd go for one of the Realforce.  For some reason, I just cannot like the FC660C.

because it's ugly and has non standard caps and an ugly lay out (srsly what's up with those 2 keys up there?!?)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 00:12:17 »

because it's ugly and has non standard caps and an ugly lay out (srsly what's up with those 2 keys up there?!?)

More like because it feels like a bucket of meh compared to the HHKB (which is growing on me, but damn the price tag).

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 00:13:42 »

More like because it feels like a bucket of meh compared to the HHKB (which is growing on me, but damn the price tag).

ONE OF US ONE OF US

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 00:19:18 »

ONE OF US ONE OF US

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 09:24:33 »
Overall, I'm really liking the typing experience. It makes me even more curious as to what the 45g boards feel like -- in particular, the FC660C.

If you want to experiment with smaller-than-TKL boards, the FC660C is a good stepping-off point. It's too bad they're getting thin on the ground in terms of supply, as there still appears to be a healthy demand for them.

When it comes to mechanical keyboards in general, I'm in the camp that prefers a lighter switch. While I've not tried the Topre 55g, Cherry MX Black and Clear wear out my fingers after prolonged typing and gaming sessions. I also prefer silent Topre switches. The standard ones aren't annoying, but the silents are more appealing to my ears, with the added bonus of not being a bother to either my wife or co-workers. At work, the variable weight RF 87U silent is absolutely wonderful. It feels great to type on, and because of my increased accuracy, there has been a slight but noticeable increase in productivity. The variable is not so good for gaming, though, which is why I wouldn't use it at home, and the only silent Topre board that has uniform weighting is the HHKB Type-S. I happened to stumble upon a for sale thread here with someone selling a donor RF 87U that had been modified to essentially 45g uniform (save for a few non-essential keys) and silent. It's been absolutely joyous; so much so that I won't go back to a Cherry MX board. It suits my typing and gaming needs perfectly.

A 45g board is certainly worth trying, and if you don't like it, you can sell it here and easily recoup most of your investment.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 September 2014, 10:12:09 by saturnotaku »

Offline Polymer

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 10:01:41 »
yeah..I really like the variable for typing....I like the HHKB a lot as well but for whatever reason, the variable is becoming more and more preferred for me on a work computer....and since I don't use a HHKB for gaming, I'm finding that, while I love how it feels and sounds, it is not getting used nearly as much as it is used to....

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 10:16:43 »
I tried a 60% layout board (Poker II) for a month but just could not get used to it. It was too difficult to adjust my workflow to accommodate the lack of discreet function, arrow, and navigation/editing keys. It's a shame, too, because I use OS X at work and home and the HHKB is one of the most Mac-friendly keyboards available.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 10:23:20 »

Let me recruit you to the HHKBrotherhood. I'll give you $100 towards a HHKB, then it's not too expensive, or?
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 10:37:41 »

Let me recruit you to the HHKBrotherhood. I'll give you $100 towards a HHKB, then it's not too expensive, or?

That right there, is what legends are made of. Good looking out, epzybro. :thumb:
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 11:21:41 »

:thumb:

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 11:27:32 »
I have the following Topre-switch boards:

Leopold FC660C
HHKB Pro 2
RF 87u 55g

And the following hybrid Topre-switch board:

CM Novatouch (Cherry mx stems; Topre switch; 45g)

Here are my likes and dislikes of each:

FC660C:

Like: Solid sound and feel, stock PBT caps feel good; small form factor

Dislike: Stock PBT caps are unattractive; difficult to find the non-standard sizes of some of the keycaps; layout not to my liking.

HHKB Pro 2:

Like: 60% form factor, overall styling, symmetry, design; great layout; attractive good-feeling dye-sub PBT caps; good typing feel, good downstsroke "thock"; DIP switches.

Dislike: Upstroke "clack". Might be alleviated by the Type-S, but not sure if I want to spend this much.

RF 87u 55g (black):

Like: TKL form factor, appearance, dye-sub PBT caps, solid build, excellent sound and feel; ability to be reconfigured to a Mac/HHKB layout; DIP switches; embedded NumPad; LEDs for CapsLock and NumPad.

Dislike: Wish it came in a 60% form factor; Difficult to find caps, although with the stock black mods and a set of either white or blue alphas, it looks great; Does not have a detachable cable; Feels a bit heavy -- might want to try a 45g version.

CM Novatouch:

Like: TKL form factor, appearance (after replacing stock caps with dye-sub PBT); ability to use Cherry mx caps.

Dislike: The 45g switches on this hybrid feel lighter than the 45g switches on my FC660C or HHKB Pro2 -- might prefer it if it came in a 55g version; lacks DIP switches; lacks embedded NumPad; No LEDs; stabilizer rattle; key rattle on some keys; loose fit of stems with some Cherry keycaps.

My two favorites among the above 4 boards are the HHKB Pro 2 and RF 87u 55g. I much prefer the form factor and layout of the HHKB, but the RF feels more solid and refined. However, the RF feels a bit heavy -- I would like to try the all-45 version for comparison.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 11:56:42 »
RF 87u 55g (black):

Like: TKL form factor, appearance, dye-sub PBT caps, solid build, excellent sound and feel; ability to be reconfigured to a Mac/HHKB layout; DIP switches; embedded NumPad; LEDs for CapsLock and NumPad.

I'm not understanding what you mean by the part I bolded. On the HHKB, the Mac layout can be hard-coded via the DIP switches. The Realforce can only swap caps lock with control, disable the Windows key (which functions as command on OS X), and enable/disable the built-in numpad (a feature that doesn't work on OS X).

You can make adjustments to the meta keys using system preferences in OS X, but this is something that can be done with any keyboard.

Just looking for a little clarification is all.  :cool:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 12:03:37 »

That's a very generous offer.  Thank you.

That said, I'd have a very hard time taking your money like that.  Whether it's pride, empathy for your wallet, or something else, I've just always had a hard time accepting that kind of generosity.  I'll definitely consider your offer though.

« Last Edit: Thu, 11 September 2014, 12:05:12 by nubbinator »

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 12:05:39 »

That's a very generous offer.  Thank you.

That said, I'd have a very hard time taking your money like that.  Whether it's pride, empathy for your wallet, or something else, I've just always had a hard time accepting that kind of generosity.  I'll definitely consider your very generous offer, I just have a very hard time accrpting.

I know what you mean. Just send me a PM when you want the $. :)

P.S. sent you a PM.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 September 2014, 12:08:00 by epzy »
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 12:06:26 »
RF 87u 55g (black):

I'm not understanding what you mean by the part I bolded. On the HHKB, the Mac layout can be hard-coded via the DIP switches. The Realforce can only swap caps lock with control, disable the Windows key (which functions as command on OS X), and enable/disable the built-in numpad (a feature that doesn't work on OS X).

You can make adjustments to the meta keys using system preferences in OS X, but this is something that can be done with any keyboard.

Just looking for a little clarification is all.  :cool:

Good point. You are correct that you cannot reconfigure the RF to a Mac/HHKB layout without using some additional software. I use Karabiner for Mac OS X. My point was that this can readily be done with the RF (and most keyboards). However, it was harder to do and I could not do it as completely with the FC660C.

The Novatouch is also okay in this regard -- even without DIP switches, it is possible to use software to reconfigure the layout. However, because the Novatouch has a hard-wired Fn key, this key cannot be reprogrammed using software. With the RF, you can program any key as Fn -- I used the Right Control. This then gave it full Mac/HHKB functionality. With the Novatouch, I ended up having the Fn key as a dead key.

Thanks for asking for this clarification! It did indeed need clarifying.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 September 2014, 12:09:22 by Hypersphere »

Offline Altis

Re: RF 87U 45g vs 55g vs FC660C [Update: 55g arrived]
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 12:29:45 »
Thanks for your replies and advice, all.

I actually happen to really like the FC660C layout. It is basically a TKL with the top row embedded (which is good), and the arrows and 2*3 cluster are all still there/embedded in the arrows logically. Crucially, the delete key is where is always is, and the Home/End/PgUp/PgDown are intuitively placed into the arrows. I'm a big fan of this design to be honest.

I really am attracted to the HHKB, as it looks great and apparently sounds and feels amazing... However, I don't particularly like the layout, especially since I rotate keyboards a lot. I don't particularly feel isn't worth it to abandon the arrow keys, and moving the backspace key moved down one might be too much for my poor brain to deal with. Maybe I will get over this, but I just don't see the advantage of the layout... Call me what you will, but I use the arrow keys enough to justify having them there... especially if the alternative is just some empty space. However, that look/feel/sound might be worth it someday, regardless...

I'm not sure which it will be next, but I want to give a 45g a try at some point for sure. I don't think it will be the RF as I already have one... so it's really just down to the FC660C and the HHKB at this point.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 13:07:41 »
Thanks for your replies and advice, all.

I actually happen to really like the FC660C layout. It is basically a TKL with the top row embedded (which is good), and the arrows and 2*3 cluster are all still there/embedded in the arrows logically. Crucially, the delete key is where is always is, and the Home/End/PgUp/PgDown are intuitively placed into the arrows. I'm a big fan of this design to be honest.

I really am attracted to the HHKB, as it looks great and apparently sounds and feels amazing... However, I don't particularly like the layout, especially since I rotate keyboards a lot. I don't particularly feel isn't worth it to abandon the arrow keys, and moving the backspace key moved down one might be too much for my poor brain to deal with. Maybe I will get over this, but I just don't see the advantage of the layout... Call me what you will, but I use the arrow keys enough to justify having them there... especially if the alternative is just some empty space. However, that look/feel/sound might be worth it someday, regardless...

I'm not sure which it will be next, but I want to give a 45g a try at some point for sure. I don't think it will be the RF as I already have one... so it's really just down to the FC660C and the HHKB at this point.

For a long time, I kept feeling attracted to the HHKB, but I was fearful of the seemingly alien layout. Finally, I decided I just had to try it, and I was amazed to find that I adjusted to the layout almost immediately. In fact, I like the HHKB layout so much that now I reconfigure all my other keyboards as close as possible to a Mac/HHKB layout.

I wrote a review of the HHKB Pro 2 that you might find helpful:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48804.0

However, the HHKB Pro 2 is not for everyone, and if really want/need arrow keys, the FC660C might be more to your liking.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 13:10:46 »
Good point. You are correct that you cannot reconfigure the RF to a Mac/HHKB layout without using some additional software. I use Karabiner for Mac OS X. My point was that this can readily be done with the RF (and most keyboards). However, it was harder to do and I could not do it as completely with the FC660C.

The Novatouch is also okay in this regard -- even without DIP switches, it is possible to use software to reconfigure the layout. However, because the Novatouch has a hard-wired Fn key, this key cannot be reprogrammed using software. With the RF, you can program any key as Fn -- I used the Right Control. This then gave it full Mac/HHKB functionality. With the Novatouch, I ended up having the Fn key as a dead key.

Thanks for asking for this clarification! It did indeed need clarifying.

I'm with you now. I wish the num lock worked in OS X as it does in Windows and that there was a DIP switch to swap Windows and alt to turn this into a "true" Mac keyboard. I didn't want to bother with extra software, so I used system preferences to swap command and control so the behavior is more Windows-like. I have a couple utilities and macros that require ctrl + alt and having the keys now next to each other is a bit more convenient, so it worked out all right in the end.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 14:02:48 »
I really am attracted to the HHKB, as it looks great and apparently sounds and feels amazing... However, I don't particularly like the layout, especially since I rotate keyboards a lot. I don't particularly feel isn't worth it to abandon the arrow keys, and moving the backspace key moved down one might be too much for my poor brain to deal with. Maybe I will get over this, but I just don't see the advantage of the layout... Call me what you will, but I use the arrow keys enough to justify having them there...

You get used to it pretty quick...it is switching back and forth that is a bit painful...You do get used to it though...For awhile I didn't think I could get used to going back and forth so even though I liked the new backspace position, it was such a pain I almost gave up...Now it is like driving on the left/right side of the road..once you get used to doing both you can switch back and forth easily.

The arrow keys also took a bit of getting used to...IMO, the key is using them as intended which is right pinky on right fn and then use them....At first I tried to use left fn and that just fell apart quick....

It really is a great layout..but it isn't for everyone and not everyone will get used to it..but if you do, really great to use...

Offline Altis

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 15:08:16 »
Hypersphere and saturnotaku, that's some great feedback, thanks. I do use the arrow keys enough to having it be worthwhile, but mostly in certain tasks (for which I could use one of my 9 other keyboards).

Having the Control key in the caps lock spot bothers me not simply because I'm not used to it, but I feel like my hand/pinky falls very well on the normal position for Control, while my other fingers lay on the common keys I would use with them (qwasfzxcv), whereas they don't when my pinky is on the caps lock position.

At the same time, the board remains desirable, and the fact that most people seem to like it very much softens my concerns greatly.

I wonder how easy it would be to go back and forth. I suspect this is different for everyone.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 19:54:59 »

ONE OF US ONE OF US

Show Image

WE DIDN'T WANT YOUR ASS ANYWAY DRIZZY DRAKE

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 20:05:53 »
I have started a poll on Topre switch keyboards over on Deskthority -- if anyone here on GH is interested, please visit the poll, cast your vote, and indicate why you prefer your choice over the others.

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/what-is-your-favorite-topre-switch-keyboard-and-why-t8744.html

One reason I started the poll is to help me with my own indecision, particularly regarding the preferred weight of switches between the RF 55g and RF 45g.

Among all the Topre switch boards now available (including the new CM Novatouch), my favorites are the RF 87u 55g black, RF 87u 45g black, and HHKB Pro 2 45g black -- (with white or blue alpha keys on each of them).

I like the RF boards for their sound and feel, and I like the HHKB Pro 2 for its form factor and layout. However, I am having trouble telling the RF models apart in short-term typing, but it seems that the 55g might be more tiring for long typing sessions.

I gave my Leopold FC660C away -- I like the form factor, but I don't particularly like the layout or the keycaps. The RF boards sound and feel better to me than the FC660C does, and the HHKB Pro 2 has the best of all layouts plus great keycaps.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 17:55:23 »
Apologies for the double-post, but if anyone here on GH has voted on their favorite Topre-switch keyboard in my poll on DT, please cast your vote again. I revised the list to include the µTron, and somehow the original votes got deleted.

Here is the link to the poll again:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/what-is-your-favorite-topre-switch-keyboard-and-why-t8744.html

Offline Altis

Re: RF 87U 45g vs 55g vs FC660C [Updated]
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 12:17:36 »
I've had the Realforce 87UW 55g for about half a year now. I know for sure that I do like Topre, as it's buttery smooth and makes a wonderful sound.

The only thing is that I find the 55g bottom-out a little too harsh and perhaps are a bit too heavy for my fingers for extended use. The other thing that I notice is that the 55g board seems to make more of a "thumpy" kind of noise, in addition to the upstroke sound.

After listening to countless typing samples, I think I prefer the sound when it isn't so heavy. I think it's a combination of the heavy domes collapsing and the higher force when hitting the bottom.

I also think I'd like something that's not as heavy.

From what I've been able to find, it seems the FC660C, despite being 45g, feels heavier and snappier than the 45g in the 87U.

What I'm trying to figure out is which of the two I should go for: 45g 87U or FC660C. I don't want it to be so light and mushy that it ruins the feel, but I don't want it to be so fatiguing as the 55g. Ideally, I'd love if the thumpy sound were reduced, leaving just the nicer sounds.

The 87U can be had in 45g uniform for about 2/3 the cost of finding an FC660C these days, but I still feel slightly inclined towards the FC from what I've read/heard.

Thanks for your help, again!

Offline Bucake

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 12:53:50 »
i just wish there was a version of the 87u with non-printed caps :-X

speaking of sound: silenced realforce 87u (earporn)
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 March 2015, 12:58:12 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 08:44:16 »
I've had the Realforce 87UW 55g for about half a year now. I know for sure that I do like Topre, as it's buttery smooth and makes a wonderful sound.

The only thing is that I find the 55g bottom-out a little too harsh and perhaps are a bit too heavy for my fingers for extended use. The other thing that I notice is that the 55g board seems to make more of a "thumpy" kind of noise, in addition to the upstroke sound.

After listening to countless typing samples, I think I prefer the sound when it isn't so heavy. I think it's a combination of the heavy domes collapsing and the higher force when hitting the bottom.

I also think I'd like something that's not as heavy.

From what I've been able to find, it seems the FC660C, despite being 45g, feels heavier and snappier than the 45g in the 87U.

What I'm trying to figure out is which of the two I should go for: 45g 87U or FC660C. I don't want it to be so light and mushy that it ruins the feel, but I don't want it to be so fatiguing as the 55g. Ideally, I'd love if the thumpy sound were reduced, leaving just the nicer sounds.

The 87U can be had in 45g uniform for about 2/3 the cost of finding an FC660C these days, but I still feel slightly inclined towards the FC from what I've read/heard.

Thanks for your help, again!
Looks like you are inclined toward the FC660C. If you like the layout and appearance as well as the sound and feel, go for it.

In my own case, although I liked the sound and feel of the FC660C, I ended up giving it away and going for the HHKB. I prefer the 60% form factor and layout of the HHKB. I've now modded a black HHKB with silencing rings and 55g domes; it is still not perfect, but it is currently my favorite board.