Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 2875 times)

Offline redpandasocks

Greetings
« on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 18:20:53 »
Just your average human type creature.  I game a lot (mostly MMOs), I also read a lot (sci-fi/fantasy), and I'm studying LIS for special collections.  All in all I'm on the computer for work and play.  I am about to make my first purchase for a new mechanical keyboard since I haven't ever used one before (other than briefly typing on friends').  Though I do have fond memories of IBM keyboards from when I was a kid.  But unfortunately I find myself wanting to buy all of the boards.  Hopefully I'll be able to make a decision by my next paycheck :D.  I'm for some reason intrigued by the tkl and the 60% keyboards and I don't really know why.  Their form factor just draws my eye I guess.

Anyway that's a bit about me.  Hello to everyone on the forums and I hope to continue to lurk around to help make my decision.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: Greetings
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 18:31:46 »
You're intrigued because 60% boards are superior.  Welcome to the site.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 18:52:48 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

If you like the old Model M and you like TKL, why not SSK? :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline redpandasocks

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 19:26:34 »
Hello to you both.  Thanks for the welcome.  Well the reason that I probably wouldn't get an IBM M (or equivalent) at the moment is because my computer is in the bedroom which I share with my partner.  And I tend to stay up later than she does so I'm trying not to be too loud. Though I have tested her out on some blues (just typing vids turned up a bit) and she didn't mind the clicky sound so there is that.

But I feel that this won't be my only purchase for keyboards.  I have a feeling this might turn into an addiction.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 19:42:39 »
I have the feeling that your feeling will turn out to be correct :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 20:23:04 »
Rowdy's right.  You'll end up saying, "Just one more board...just one more key set..."

Offline redpandasocks

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 07:13:29 »
Well maybe one of you guys can give me advice.  How jarring is it to go from full size to tkl?  I don't use the numberpad that often but I do wonder if I'll start missing it more if I don't have it.  Also have any gamers used a keyboard that allows you to switch capslock and lctrl?  Do you like it?  I mostly play MMOs with smatters of single player RPGs thrown in so having another easily reached modifier would be awesome.  Especially since my hands are so small that it's pretty much impossible for me to use the numbers on the keyboard.

Current debate is filco mj2, poker II (I can't stop looking at the 60% boards), or maybe a KUL es 87 (though there aren't a lot of reviews out on this one).  I'd thrown in a ducky if I could actually find one that's in stock ; ;.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 07:51:09 »
It will indeed be an expensive addiction .

Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 09:54:19 »
Welcome! My SO seems to not mind the browns I've purchased, but again, she claimed to hate the node of my old membranes.

Offline redpandasocks

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 16:36:28 »
Welcome! My SO seems to not mind the browns I've purchased, but again, she claimed to hate the node of my old membranes.

Thanks for the welcome!  I'm looking into getting brown switches as well since I was able to play around on a friend's for a few moments.  It had enough resistance but hopefully wouldn't be too distracting for my partner.  Though I will eventually have blues on something because that clicky sound is nice to me.  But first I will need to actually settle on what board I'll be buying.  I'm waffling pretty hard between several :D.

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 16:42:05 »

Thanks for the welcome!  I'm looking into getting brown switches as well since I was able to play around on a friend's for a few moments.  It had enough resistance but hopefully wouldn't be too distracting for my partner.  Though I will eventually have blues on something because that clicky sound is nice to me.  But first I will need to actually settle on what board I'll be buying.  I'm waffling pretty hard between several :D.
Orings should help with some of the noise as well!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 17:36:20 »
Well maybe one of you guys can give me advice.  How jarring is it to go from full size to tkl?  I don't use the numberpad that often but I do wonder if I'll start missing it more if I don't have it.  Also have any gamers used a keyboard that allows you to switch capslock and lctrl?  Do you like it?  I mostly play MMOs with smatters of single player RPGs thrown in so having another easily reached modifier would be awesome.  Especially since my hands are so small that it's pretty much impossible for me to use the numbers on the keyboard.

Current debate is filco mj2, poker II (I can't stop looking at the 60% boards), or maybe a KUL es 87 (though there aren't a lot of reviews out on this one).  I'd thrown in a ducky if I could actually find one that's in stock ; ;.

Jarring?

No, it is liberating :D

My first two modern mechanical keyboards were full size Ducky Shines.

Now I generally only buy TKL boards (Model M and HHKB excepted, of course).

I rarely used the numpad, except when typing IP addresses.  About the only key I missed was the Enter key on the numpad - it was conveniently placed in the lower right corner where my thumb could hit it without even letting go of the mouse.

But I have learned to do without it.

And the desk space reclaimed is great!  Plus it is more ergonomic - the mouse is closer to the centre of the keyboard now.

Offline redpandasocks

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 19:06:04 »

Orings should help with some of the noise as well!

I'll look into them once I get something I like.

Jarring?

No, it is liberating :D

My first two modern mechanical keyboards were full size Ducky Shines.

Now I generally only buy TKL boards (Model M and HHKB excepted, of course).

I rarely used the numpad, except when typing IP addresses.  About the only key I missed was the Enter key on the numpad - it was conveniently placed in the lower right corner where my thumb could hit it without even letting go of the mouse.

But I have learned to do without it.

And the desk space reclaimed is great!  Plus it is more ergonomic - the mouse is closer to the centre of the keyboard now.

I was reading about how it is a lot better for you to have the mouse closer to the board.  I already have some issues with posture and my wrists as well.  I wonder if it'll help.  It kinda makes me lean more towards just going for the tkl and seeing how it goes.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 19:40:19 »
Wrist posture might be helped by using a wrist rest.  Note that you should not actually rest your wrists on a wrist rest while typing, but only between bouts of typing.

Many commercial vendors sell wrist rests, and there are even a few Geekhackers who make very nice wooden ones :)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 02:10:24 »
Welcome! Sci Fi is the best!  :-X  :D

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 07:05:14 »
Welcome to GeekHack! If there is one thing around here you will find it will be an array of people willing to share information. On their own experiences, opinions on switch types, etc...

This hobby will definitely hurt your wallet though so make sure you type on as many things as you can before you buy. Maybe try out a sampler kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Max-Keyboard-Clear-Keycaps-Cherry-MX-Switches-Rubber-O-Ring-Sampler-Tester-Kit-/181495831598?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item2a41fe9c2e

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 07:05:36 »

I prefer switching caps lock and control. Control is in a bit of an awkward place for my pinky finger, and it feels better where caps lock is. Plus, I never hit caps by accident when it's all the way at the bottom of the board. It didn't take me long to get used to the switch either.

Out of those boards, I would pick the Poker 2 or a Ducky. I love my Shine 3!  :thumb:

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 00:56:58 »
Why are people with 0 posts bumping these old threads with spam links?

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 02:18:35 »

And trying to hide the ads, kind of defeats the purpose of the ad?  :p

I didn't realize this was a necro, oops.

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 03:02:02 »

And trying to hide the ads, kind of defeats the purpose of the ad?  :p

I didn't realize this was a necro, oops.

I remembered the last person doing it, and he posted spam twice in this thread and not since.  Highly suspicious.