Author Topic: Filco Majestouch 'Tenkeyless' Keyboard 87 Key vs HHKB - how to decide?  (Read 4718 times)

Offline jrib

• http://www.jrib.net
Well I've been considering getting a nicer keyboard for a while (I'm currently typing on a cheap logitech).  

From reading other people's opinions and features, I've narrowed it down to either the:

FKBN87M/NPEK
http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=filco_keyboards,majestouch_87key&pid=fkbn87mnpek#

or the HHKB:
http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=pfu_keyboards,hhkbpro2&pid=pdkb400b

I would appreciate any comments about this.  Of course they have very different prices but I don't mind paying more for something that is worth it.

My real reason for this thread though is that I hope someone could make some suggestions about stores in the US (near boston) where I could try out some of these keyboards first-hand or at least where I could try out similar feeling keyboards.  Even some way to decide between blue and brown cherries would be nice!

Thanks in advance.

Offline watduzhkstand4

Filco Majestouch 'Tenkeyless' Keyboard 87 Key vs HHKB - how to decide?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 June 2009, 23:37:33 »
First of all, welcome to Geekhack!

The boards that you picked are definitely good boards but it depends on what your personal preferences are because one has a normal keyboard layout but without the numpad and the other has a totally different layout to begin with. I've never personally tried the HHKB Pro but I do have the HHKB L-2 that has a very similar layout. For some reason, I get tired typing on my HHKB L-2 that's why I'm back to using my brown cherry board. Comparing the switches, the blue switches are more tactile and has a higher pitch clicky sound than the brown switches. I personally like the blue cherries the best.

If you want to try out some keyboards, sorry I'm not in Boston, you can always get a used one on eBay for cheap, $10-$20, to try out and see how you like it. You should be able to get a Compaq MX11800 (cherry brown) on eBay for around that price. As for cherry blue, there is a board called the Scorpius M10 but the build quality on that is not as well as the Filco. Then of course, it is only $50-$60 comparing to $115.

I hope this helps!
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 June 2009, 23:45:30 »
One nice thing is that whichever you buy, if you want to dump it later, you can resell it pretty easily (here on gh's marketplace or on ebay).

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline wheel83

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 00:22:54 »
i would recommend going with a standard us layout keyboard first.  that way you can adjust easily between keyboards.  i think the hhkb is a big step to make for an amateur enthusiast.  although many people here swear by them.
I <3 BS

Offline jrib

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 05:42:57 »
I actually use my own custom custom keyboard layout now based on dvorak so I'm not too concerned about the layout as I'll switch everything anyway (I'm on linux).  I may miss the arrow keys but I've been trying to wean myself off of them anyway :)  

Do the keys on the hhkb pro feel very different than the brown cherry switches on the filco?  Is it worth $100 to you?

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 08:34:01 »
Quote from: webwit;96654
Silly question. Both.

This

Offline IBI

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 12:11:39 »
Quote from: jrib;96666
Do the keys on the hhkb pro feel very different than the brown cherry switches on the filco?  Is it worth $100 to you?

The general opinion on the Torpe Realforce Keyboards which use the same keys are the HHKB Pro is that they're nicer, but not 100USD nicer. The HHKB does tend to get better reviews because it has the additional advantages of it's smaller size and unusual layout.

You may prefer the rubber domes and small size of the HHKB, or you may find it's lack of keys and high price to be not worth it. How much do you use shifted keys on your current layout, and how important is a smaller keyboard to you?
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline Korbin

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 17:16:10 »
I have both boards (my filco has letters written on them though) and I can tell you why I am on my HHKB more than my filco but it doesn't mean that you should buy an HHKB for the same reason. I'm only offering my opinion.

1) The HHKB sounds better. My filco has a plastic hollow "clack" sound if I accidentally bottom out the key. The Topre keys have this rubber "thock" sound when you type on them.

2) Key layout- you will hear this one a lot. After you type on a topre board, the location of the control key just feels "wrong" on a standard board. Why would they have such an often use key right next to the pinky? I like this aspect of the HHKB layout because I probably use the control key over a hundred times a day while I write code.

3) Form factor - This one is kind of an obvious reason you will hear a lot. I use the arrow keys a LOT in my daily work so having them under my finger tips is really nice.

With that being said, I do use my filco on occasion, it's almost like a reminder on why I prefer the topre switches.

In my opinion, I do think the HHKB is worth the cost difference (see the opinion disclaimer at the top of my post).

Oh, one thing you might want to consider is what you do on a computer with your board as well. If you game a lot and the games require using the F keys (or specific arrow keys where you also need to have your hand on the mouse), that might sway you toward the filco since it is a combination key press on the HHKB.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 June 2009, 17:19:54 by Korbin »
Keyboards: Nyquist, Ergodox, Levinson

Offline jrib

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 27 June 2009, 18:53:47 »
Thank you for all of your suggestions.  In the end I went with the filco because of the price difference.  I'm really enjoying it so far!

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 28 June 2009, 03:11:37 »
This thread reminded me, I need to sell my Filco and Cherry for another HHKB :x