Author Topic: MX Clear Poker 2 (Massdrop) freezing up on OSX No inputs going through.  (Read 3349 times)

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
Wondering if anybody else on Mac has gotten this issue.

I received this keyboard on Friday the 5th, and experienced this problem twice already.

Sometimes after leaving my computer to idle a bit, coming back after an hour or so, the Poker 2 is completely unresponsive. The LED's are on, but it won't communicate with the computer at all. Even the function layer seems to freeze up, as I can't turn the LED off, or adjust backlight brightness.

Has anybody experienced the Poker 2 freezing up?
Mmm... machined aluminum

Online HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
Re: MX Clear Poker 2 (Massdrop) freezing up on OSX No inputs going through.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 13:18:31 »

I received this keyboard on Friday the 5th, and experienced this problem twice already.

Sometimes after leaving my computer to idle a bit, coming back after an hour or so, the Poker 2 is completely unresponsive. The LED's are on, but it won't communicate with the computer at all. Even the function layer seems to freeze up, as I can't turn the LED off, or adjust backlight brightness.

Have you test on another computer ?

because i'm afraid your USB port have problem

Offline limitz

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 13:34:48 »
My main keyboard (WASD CODE) does not have this issue.

They're plugged into a powered USB hub, and the USB hub is connected to the computer. I only have 1 keyboard at a time plugged into the hub.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 13:46:28 »
Has your Mac gone to sleep, and are you using the Poker II to wake it up? If so, leave your machine to idle and sleep. This time, wake it using your mouse and see what happens. If your keyboard works, then it's probably a firmware issue with the Poker and Mac OS. The Realforce 87U has the same problem; you can use the keyboard to bring a Mac out of sleep, but after that it goes completely dead. Using the mouse/trackpad or built-in keyboard on a Mac laptop is the only workaround aside from unplugging and replugging the keyboard.

If this is not what is happening, then I have no idea. Is there another computer you can use to test the Poker?

Offline limitz

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 13:53:23 »
Has your Mac gone to sleep, and are you using the Poker II to wake it up? If so, leave your machine to idle and sleep. This time, wake it using your mouse and see what happens. If your keyboard works, then it's probably a firmware issue with the Poker and Mac OS. The Realforce 87U has the same problem; you can use the keyboard to bring a Mac out of sleep, but after that it goes completely dead. Using the mouse/trackpad or built-in keyboard on a Mac laptop is the only workaround aside from unplugging and replugging the keyboard.

If this is not what is happening, then I have no idea. Is there another computer you can use to test the Poker?

Interesting. I will try this next time my computer goes to idle.

Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 20:46:41 »
Try connecting the keyboard directly to the Mac.  Although it is a powered hub, it still might be interfering with something.

Also try using the mouse to wake the Mac from sleep rather than a keypress.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline suby4me

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 22:10:25 »
I'm using a poker II on my mac that's also plugged through a USB powered hub. I haven't had any issues with the keyboard and I use it to wake my mac sometimes when it goes to sleep. A while ago, I remember having to replace my old hub, since it had issues with some of the devices I tried to plug in.

I haven't upgraded the firmware on the keyboard either, so I don't think that's the problem. Does the later poker II ship with the latest firmware? I'm not too sure if that may be the cause of the problem.
current: poker 2 | HHKB pro2, Novatouch | off: das keyboard 4 | Ducky 3 TKL | death by coffee das keyboard mac ver. | razer blackwidow | whitefox | corsair K70 RGB

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 23:30:57 »
My Poker 2 works fine with the mac. And I'm pretty sure it has the latest firmware. I got the batch with no ugly "enjoy your feeling" on the keyboard. I'm not sure about the usb hub thing tho, never used one of those.

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 08:59:13 »

If you plug it into a different USB port does it work? I occasionally have similar issues with my HHKB. Unplugging it and switching USB ports always works for me. Unfortunately this only happens to me when I am very busy, so I haven't been able to explore it in depth.
RETIRED

Offline osi

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 09:03:18 »
Try using the poker II with a known good USB cable - could be the culprit

Offline kohi

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 04:18:02 »
apparently there have been a lot of QC issues with the poker II mx clear boards from massdrop
so it could be an issue on their part who knows :-[
and I haven't even got mine yet - scared to get it now. lots of issues with stems coming off the switch while pulling keycaps and poorly soldered LEDs. do you have any other obv issues with the board (just curious)? :confused:

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 09:54:36 »
apparently there have been a lot of QC issues with the poker II mx clear boards from massdrop
and I haven't even got mine yet - scared to get it now. lots of issues with stems coming off the switch while pulling keycaps and poorly soldered LEDs. do you have any other obv issues with the board (just curious)? :confused:

I don't see how there can be issues with poker II mx clear boards from MD if they haven't shipped yet.  I'm still waiting on my poker II mx brown from 2 months ago.  Are those the one's you are referring to?

Offline kohi

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 10:01:16 »
they also had a drop for clears 2 months ago (first drop, not talking about the one going on rn) and im pretty sure op is talking about the mx clear poker 2 that was received from massdrop. a few people have gotten their boards already and have had several issues with them - you could refer back to the comment section of the mx clear drop page, youll see haha

Offline jameslr

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 11:09:50 »

Interesting. My realforce doesn't have this issue. It's plugged into a late 2012 Mac Mini (Mavericks). I wake it with both mouse and keyboard all the time. Never had it stop working.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 13:48:31 »
Interesting. My realforce doesn't have this issue. It's plugged into a late 2012 Mac Mini (Mavericks). I wake it with both mouse and keyboard all the time. Never had it stop working.

The Mac mini I use at work is the same as yours. Is your system fully going to sleep (eg the power LED blinks), or is the display simply shutting off? If I set just the display to go to sleep, the keyboard will work just fine when bringing it back. If I leave it long enough so the whole system sleeps or choose that option from the menu, the keyboard will go dead after waking it. The same thing happens with both RF keyboards in my signature on the aforementioned Mac mini as well as my personal MacBook Pro. I made a video about it here:

« Last Edit: Tue, 09 September 2014, 13:51:03 by saturnotaku »

Offline limitz

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 14:33:12 »

I do not have any more obvious issues. I work as a travelling consultant, so I will not be able to test this fix until the weekend. I use only windows machines when I travel. I posted this thread on /r/MK as well, and there were decent responses there. Apparently some people have had success with reflashing to a different firmware. Supposedly Vortex is still shipping some boards with an old firmware version. All information can be found in the thread here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2fqgoj/mx_clear_poker_2_freezing_up_on_the_mac_no_inputs/

Where other Mac users have also reported their keyboards locking up on OS X, and at least one user reported fixing this issue.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 10:42:26 »
I got my poker II backlit mx brown from MD yesterday.  Have it hooked up to my Mac mini without any issue.

Offline kelchm

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 09:28:10 »
I'm having the exact same problem with my hackintosh.  MD has replaced the board once now and it is having the exact same issue again.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 04:02:23 »
Found this, may be worth a try:

Explains a possible fix for a non-working keyboard for the Mac operating system.

When trying to use your keyboard on a Macintosh, it does not respond or may only beep, but the mouse still functions.

When you start up with extensions off, the keyboard works again. This is caused by a control panel called Easy Access.

Normally, it is used to assist people with disabilities. However, it can occasionally be activated inadvertently, causing the keyboard to seem like it is no longer working.

To fix this problem, simply go to Control Panels => Easy Access and turn everything off.

Finally, unless there are features you intend to use, it is best to disable Easy Access in the Extensions Manager.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline pss395

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 09:09:54 »
I have the same exact problem on my Poker II Brown.

Came across this solution. Work well so far.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2dcovr/guide_how_to_fix_os_x_issues_on_the_poker_ii/

Offline limitz

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 21:57:04 »
I have the same exact problem on my Poker II Brown.

Came across this solution. Work well so far.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2dcovr/guide_how_to_fix_os_x_issues_on_the_poker_ii/

This was the fix that got mine to work properly. I recommend this fix to all who are having issues with Poker 2 and OS X
Mmm... machined aluminum