Author Topic: PC-compatible keyboard with old-style keys  (Read 6270 times)

Offline Red October

PC-compatible keyboard with old-style keys
« on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 03:50:50 »
So I'm sure we've all seen the very old style keys as on the DEC VT-100 and the like, smooth and rounded.  Was there every a PC-compatible keyboard made with such keys?  I've got a big bag of VT-100 keys here and could in theory make something up (I've got a dead M that could donate parts) but it would be a quite the undertaking, so I'm wondering if there is a turnkey solution.  I really just want it for the novely value as I'm quite happy typing on an M, but if it exists I still want in.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 01:32:04 »
Maybe find a new keyboard with a compatible stalk type (if my C.Itoh CIT-101 is an example, it seemed like you might be able to wedge the keycaps onto Cherry-style cross-shaped stems.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 10:35:51 »
Oh man where Oh where did you find those keys? I've been looking for some even if I have to buy the keyboard to get them. I love the shape and feel of those old style keys. If you decide you can't use them please let me know I would love to have them.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 11:40:07 »
Old style keycaps like these are still available from Cherry.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline chimera15

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 11:45:25 »
On the Japanese switch identification page that everyone always posts here, those are said to be alps right? But some people identify them as old cherry? One way or another it doesn't look like it'd be too hard to cram them into a newer alps board....

Even if the solder points don't fit you could probably solder wire to each point and mount the switch directly on the board with epoxy putty or glue or something.

I actually tried this method with converting a compact btc keyboard, like the siig minitouch plus, and it was working before I ran out of time to work on it.  It's still on the backburner of my mods if I ever need another compact mechanical.

http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~hisao/image/paso700.htm

To me it looks like that'd fit in a modern alps board....
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 June 2009, 11:56:54 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline chimera15

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 12:08:15 »
Speaking of dec keyboards, anyone know what kind of key switch this uses?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-2-VINTAGE-LK501-AA-Refurb-DEC-Digital-Keyboards_W0QQitemZ220371471518QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item334f29cc9e&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

It's a lk501-aa.  I read a post saying that the lk201 was horrible, but the seller seems to indicate these feel really good..so I'm thinking it must be mechanical?
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline Red October

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 June 2009, 03:16:40 »
I found the keys in a lucky eBay auction.  The seller didn't know what they were, just a bag of old keyboard keys.  I immediately recognized them as VT-100 keys (thank the gods my dad worked in a DEC shop wherein I had my first encounters with computers).  The LK-201 is indeed rubbish to type on, no fun at all.  The VT-100 is quite another story, but it uses a kind of keyswitch that is not used at all anymore; there are two copper "jaws" that are brought together by the keystem as it travels down.  The response is quite different but certainly pleasant enough.  The pack of keys I got is in fact a new replacement set from DEC.  They are similar to model M keys but not compatible, the stem is too fat to fit in the hole on an M.  I'm not sure at this point how to adapt them, to be honest.  My next line of thinking would be the keyboard from a Displaywriter.  I've got a few old H/P computers (85 and 86b) with the type of keys in question, but I'd be loathe to tear one of those apart.

Offline cchan

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 June 2009, 11:05:11 »
Quote from: Red October;97298
I found the keys in a lucky eBay auction.  The seller didn't know what they were, just a bag of old keyboard keys.  I immediately recognized them as VT-100 keys (thank the gods my dad worked in a DEC shop wherein I had my first encounters with computers).  The LK-201 is indeed rubbish to type on, no fun at all.  The VT-100 is quite another story, but it uses a kind of keyswitch that is not used at all anymore; there are two copper "jaws" that are brought together by the keystem as it travels down.  The response is quite different but certainly pleasant enough.  The pack of keys I got is in fact a new replacement set from DEC.  They are similar to model M keys but not compatible, the stem is too fat to fit in the hole on an M.  I'm not sure at this point how to adapt them, to be honest.  My next line of thinking would be the keyboard from a Displaywriter.  I've got a few old H/P computers (85 and 86b) with the type of keys in question, but I'd be loathe to tear one of those apart.
That might be NMB switches. Sandy's site has pictures of them.
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 June 2009, 18:43:22 »
Quote from: lowpoly;97093
Old style keycaps like these are still available from Cherry.

Mhmm. How easy is it to get them from Cherry? Would they have some sort of minimum order or what?

Offline Red October

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 June 2009, 23:12:05 »
Quote from: ch_123;97522
Mhmm. How easy is it to get them from Cherry? Would they have some sort of minimum order or what?

If anyone finds out, count me in.  I requested a catalog from them last night :)

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 06:27:48 »
Quote from: chimera15;97106
I read a post saying that the lk201 was horrible, but the seller seems to indicate these feel really good..so I'm thinking it must be mechanical?
I got mine today.

It is a membrane board but uses small metal springs instead of rubber domes. Similar to Cherry MY/FTSC. It feels linear, no mushy ending.

The Cherry MY usually gets bashed here but I think the key feel is smiliar to linear MX. I'd expect the drawback is rather that the point of actuation is not as precise as with the MX as it depends on spring force building up on the membrane.

Offline Red October

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 10 July 2009, 04:14:45 »
OK chaps, here's the rub.  Got the catalog from Cherry.  It has no detail of keycaps.  I suppose I could telephone them, but I was wondering, since all Cherry keycaps seem to be compatible, does anyone know of another old-style board that uses Cherrys that will be easier to find than the weird one linked to in this thread, or of another board that uses keys compatible with something that can be coerced into interfacing with a PC?

Offline talis

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 10 July 2009, 10:14:40 »
Quote from: Red October;101962
I suppose I could telephone them, but I was wondering, since all Cherry keycaps seem to be compatible, ...

This isn't quite true.  MX key caps should be compatable with any MX series key switches, but wouldn't work with ML series switches.  While ML caps won't work with MX style key switches.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 10 July 2009, 12:43:34 »
Cherry's is different:

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 10 July 2009, 12:44:24 »
My Cherry is not like that. It's the same idea, but the assembly is a little different
the white pieces that mount to the keycap are part of the mounting base altogether.

edit: I was just about to say "lowpoly has a lot more insight on this" but it looks like he sniped in a comment already lol

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 10 July 2009, 13:15:37 »
they're held in place by the stabilizing bar - but the second that bar is moved, they come out through the bottom (you have to pull the mounting off the pcb to get it out...or yank really hard and risk breaking some plastic tabs)

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 10 July 2009, 14:51:39 »
For the sake of completeness, it be mentioned that Cherry G81s are different again. Here the ends of the metal stabilizer (which is clicked in on top of the membrane) go into these white pieces which are part of the keycap - at least for the space bar. The other larger keys have the stabilizer clicked in and dangling below them (seemingly without much greasing on more recent samples). Best reassembled with the top case off, so you can check for proper operation.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 11 August 2009, 09:23:53 »
Shortly after the IBM PC came out, makers of other brands of computers, and even typewriter makers, started copying its style of key, where fingers are guided by a cylindrical surface instead of a spherical one. The usefulness of a reducible surface, to which key overlays could be attached, was obvious, and it was considered to look more "modern" as well. Some point-of-sale keyboards use keys with flat keytops instead, but the old-style key seems to be completely gone these days as far as current manufacture is concerned.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 11 August 2009, 09:53:57 »
Quote from: quadibloc;108850
Some point-of-sale keyboards use keys with flat keytops instead, but the old-style key seems to be completely gone these days as far as current manufacture is concerned.

Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline huha

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 11 August 2009, 10:55:01 »
For the record: These FSC keycaps feel astonishingly well.

-huha
Unicomp Endurapro 105 (blank keycaps, BS) // Cherry G80-3000LSCDE-2 (blues, modded to green MX) // Cherry G80-3000LAMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Cherry G80-11900LTMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Compaq G80-11801 (browns) // Epson Q203A (Fujitsu Peerless) // IBM Model M2 (BS) // Boscom AS400 Terminal Emulator (OEM\'d Unicomp, BS, 2x) // Dell AT102DW (black Alps) // Mechanical Touch (chinese BS) Acer 6312-KW (Acer mechanics on membrane) // Cherry G84-4100 (ML) // Cherry G80-1000HAD (NKRO, blacks)

Offline skriefal

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 01:41:55 »
Quote from: Red October;97298
The LK-201 is indeed rubbish to type on, no fun at all.

I haven't used an LK-201, but I did recently obtain an LK-401 to use in an attempt (which was successful) to resuscitate a 25-ish year old DEC Rainbow 100 computer.  This is a dual-brained system with 4MHz Z80 for CP/M-80/86, a 4.? MHz 8088 for MS-DOS 2.1, and a 10MB hard drive.  I can verify that the LK-401 is also rubbish to type on.  Very stiff, but looks to be a rubber dome board.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 07:25:04 »
At least it's not one of those awful Chiclet keyboards which feel like the buttons on a microwave.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 08:30:05 »
I'd assume the LK-401 uses the same keyswitches as the LK-201 - linear membrane switches. Possibly the worst thing I've ever typed on, even moreso than those roll up keyboards.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 08:40:06 »
Quote from: ch_123;109702
I'd assume the LK-401 uses the same keyswitches as the LK-201 - linear membrane switches. Possibly the worst thing I've ever typed on, even moreso than those roll up keyboards.

Really? I would think linear-membrane switches would at least center over the membrane contact...
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 08:53:04 »
Actually, it's been a while since I tried a rollup keyboard, but the DEC has a really short travel and no tactility. So it's almost impossible to know whether you have actually pressed the key or not just by feel.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 09:49:30 »
Yes, the key travel is less than usual.  And definitely very non-tactile.  Like rubber dome boards, you're effectively forced to bottom out the keys since it's the only way to be certain that the keypress will register.  And that's made harder by the stiffness and high force that is required.  I'd place this board in a tie for "worst ever" with the old BTC capacitive board that I once owned.