Author Topic: FNG: Friendly new guy  (Read 2337 times)

Offline saint_james

FNG: Friendly new guy
« on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 23:19:46 »
Hello!

I'm new around here and have been overwhelmed by the amount of information and friendly folks here at GH.  I used to use an IBM model M back in the day and loved it... but sometime in the 90s I just kind of migrated to membrane keyboards like everyone else seemed to be doing.  I thought the days of a good click-tactile keyboard experience were over, and resigned myself to the spongy rubbery hell of my $10 rubber dome keyboards.  This went on for years and my dissatisfaction has been festering. 

Well, I re-discovered mechanical keyboards recently and have been obsessing.  I tried some "gaming" keyboards with linear switches (black and red) as well as tactile non-clicky (brown)... better than membrane keyboards but still not what I was looking for.   I remembered the old IBM buckling spring keyboards I enjoyed years ago, so I knew that clicky keys with lots of tactile feedback were what I was after.  I read some reviews online about blue switches and how they are clicky....  so in a spasm of compulsive buying fury I bought a WASD v2 keyboard online, sight unseen...  a 104-key ANSI format board with Cherry MX Blue switches and red o-ring dampeners.  I love it!  In fact, I am typing this post on it right now. 

While I am enjoying the blue switches, I bottom out each and every key press... I am old enough to have learned to type on typewriters and buckling springs, so my fingers are used to hammering the keycaps.  I sometimes wonder if I would be happier with more actuation force (like maybe Cherry MX clears or greens). 

I have this strange feeling that one mechanical keyboard will not be enough... because I need another one for work... and maybe a small one to travel with... and my kids need some... and...  anyway, I will probably start building a collection of sorts.

Other keyboards that are interesting to me at this time:
KUL es-87
Filco MJ2
Realforce (Topre)

So again, hello to everyone here on GH!  I look forward to learning more and chatting with you fine folks!

Kindest Regards,
Tony
C = Q/V ≈ ε₀ (A/d)
Active: FC980C | FC660C Low-noise | RF 87u 55g | RF 23u
Inactive: WASD v2 | Pok3r | QFR | Aukey KM-G9 | Compaq RT101
Dead and buried: Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: FNG: Friendly new guy
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 23:30:14 »
Already interested in topre and he didn't even have to listen to everyone tell him to get one.  You're gonna fit right in. :))  Welcome to GH.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 23:37:30 »
And I guess you are old enough to have a lot of disposable income, coz that's what you will be spending from now onwards. Welcome to GH indeed :)

Offline saint_james

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 00:11:30 »
Thanks folks.  I have heard the phrase "wallet hack" a few times on here, so I guess I better start saving my pennies hahaha :-)

One month ago I would have laughed at someone who might drop over a hundred bucks in a group buy for keycaps.  Now I'm wondering if I can make the cutoff date!
C = Q/V ≈ ε₀ (A/d)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 05:49:37 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

An interesting list of keyboard you have provided - all very popular, and most expensive :))

Also, why not get another Model M?  I have two of them, although one is in need of a bolt mod.

Unicomp have also remade the Model M, although the recent changes to it are not to everyone's liking.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline saint_james

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 09:38:37 »
OK Rowdy, getting another Model M sounds REALLY interesting... I will have to start searching GH for places to find one in good condition... and I will have to read up on this bolt mod as well.  Thanks!   :thumb:
C = Q/V ≈ ε₀ (A/d)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 09:41:25 »
Welcome to Geekhack! We're collectively sorry for what we're about to do to your wallet ;)

Offline saint_james

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 02:52:08 »
Yep, I'm hooked.  So I went down to the Elite Keyboards shop today to try out the KUL and Realforce (Topre) keyboards, so I have an idea of what I am saving up for in terms of next keyboard.  Brian was awesome, and I will be giving him some business in the future.  The KULs were really nice... but the Topre keyboards felt AMAZING.  I was really impressed by the RF 87U All-45g "EK Edition"... and I now have a reason to save up a few bucks.

Well worth the 3 hour drive down to EK!
C = Q/V ≈ ε₀ (A/d)

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 05:04:44 »
3 hour drive to try a keyboard! You, sir, are dedicated and will fit right in!! Did you try the 55g? That should be awesome, if your fingers have the muscle to take it.

Offline cphead

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 05:29:36 »
The church of T0pr3 is welcoming and always accepting of new members  :blank:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 06:28:21 »
Yep, I'm hooked.  So I went down to the Elite Keyboards shop today to try out the KUL and Realforce (Topre) keyboards, so I have an idea of what I am saving up for in terms of next keyboard.  Brian was awesome, and I will be giving him some business in the future.  The KULs were really nice... but the Topre keyboards felt AMAZING.  I was really impressed by the RF 87U All-45g "EK Edition"... and I now have a reason to save up a few bucks.

Not many have made that pilgrimage, but all who did have regaled us with wonderful stories of what they experienced while there. :)

One of the best places to get a refurbished and excellent condition Model M is: http://phosphorglow.net/

There are traces around here of keyboards people have bought from him - all in absolutely fantastic condition.  And somewhere is a video of him actually refurbishing one - very interesting viewing.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline saint_james

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 21:37:52 »
3 hour drive to try a keyboard! You, sir, are dedicated and will fit right in!! Did you try the 55g? That should be awesome, if your fingers have the muscle to take it.

Yes I tried the 55 g... felt really nice.  I did several back to back typeracer runs with both the 45g and 55g and was *slightly* faster / more comfortable with the 45g.  I think that my recent typing time on the Cherry MX blue switches is conditioning me to a lighter key-press.  That said, the 55g had a lot more discernable tactile feedback.  If you are a person that loves and craves tactile feedback, the 55g is a great choice,

C = Q/V ≈ ε₀ (A/d)

Offline saint_james

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 21:42:02 »
The church of T0pr3 is welcoming and always accepting of new members  :blank:

I LOVE  the way the Topre switches feel.  I hope to join the church of T0pr3 soon.  Gotta get my kids some decent mech keyboards first... they tried my WASD v2 and really liked it.  Shopping now for some QFRs for them.
C = Q/V ≈ ε₀ (A/d)

Offline saint_james

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 21:45:39 »

Not many have made that pilgrimage, but all who did have regaled us with wonderful stories of what they experienced while there. :)

One of the best places to get a refurbished and excellent condition Model M is: http://phosphorglow.net/

There are traces around here of keyboards people have bought from him - all in absolutely fantastic condition.  And somewhere is a video of him actually refurbishing one - very interesting viewing.

WOW.  Thanks for that information on phosphorglow.net.  My wish list keeps growing.  I would LOVE to have one of those tuned Model Ms!!!! 
C = Q/V ≈ ε₀ (A/d)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 22:04:56 »

WOW.  Thanks for that information on phosphorglow.net.  My wish list keeps growing.  I would LOVE to have one of those tuned Model Ms!!!! 

They are beautiful, aren't they :)

I think it was he did a few SSK with coloured plates recently - they were fantastic!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 02:09:46 »
Welcome! Yes Buckling Spring are very cool, I have an SSK; fun to type on!

Realforce is amazing, I suggest 45g. :D I have the 104UB-DK.  87U is very popular too!