Author Topic: HHKB PS/2, or using HHKB to wake up standby  (Read 5526 times)

Offline o2dazone

HHKB PS/2, or using HHKB to wake up standby
« on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 19:38:37 »
I've got a ps/2 dongle that worked with my Filco, my Cherry and various rubber dome boards. For some reason I can't get it to work with the HHKB. Anyone have any luck with this? Or does anyone know of some special standby mode, or motherboard or BIOS tweak that supplies power to the USB port so I can wake it up with my keyboard?

Offline IBI

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 20:36:42 »
Normal standby will wake up from a USB mouse and keyboard, which mode are you currently using? S3?
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 20:40:04 »
Yeah, I'm using S3 - the usb is off the motherboard and not a pci slot if that makes any difference. Seems once I go into s3 it drops all power from everything except for a little trickle keeping the ram alive. Is this something I can change?

Offline IBI

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 20:50:57 »
Try checking the settings in your operating system and make sure the USB devices don't get turned off and the keyboard is set to allow the system to wake from standby.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 21:47:55 »
I have found a couple forums online asking the same question, so I did a little digging. I was able to get my mouse to wake up my machine from standby...and get this - my mouse is plugged into my keyboard. But my keyboard doesn't work LOL

I'm going to try a few more software changes, then I'll go for the jumpers on the motherboard. If that fails, then I'll try digging around a bit more in the BIOS.

If anything, I'll just use my mouse - would prefer my keyboard though

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 22:43:49 »
Did a couple more software tweaks, and nothing so far. I did notice my keyboard doesn't have a "Power Management" tab in the Device Manager, so I can't check the option to "allow device to bring PC out of standby". I also looked around and found no USB jumpers on my mobo. Reading online the Asus P5E doesn't seem to have them, as Asus says "they're always on".

I think the oddest thing is that my trackball, which is being powered off the HHK can wake up my computer, but the HHK can't. wth is that about :B

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 23:34:43 »
Yeah, it's coming up as an HID. I put all my settings back to normal, as my standby resume delay was increased by about 30 seconds from some settings I messed with :x

I'll be doing a search on waking up from standby with an HID

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 23:57:38 »
A bit - yeah I can see it doesn't define itself as a Keyboard, but a Human Interface Device. For some bizarre reason, in my Device Manager, I got the "Power Management" tab on my keyboard now, and I am able to check "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby." But when I check that, and attempt to go into Standby, I get an error saying there's a hangup with "HID Keyboard Device" preventing it from going to Standby.

The search continues...

Offline skriefal

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 June 2009, 08:46:19 »
Did you flip DIP switch 6 to enable the keyboard to wake from suspend?

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 June 2009, 08:50:55 »
Yus I did, it seemed to have made no difference what position it was in :(

Offline skriefal

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 18 June 2009, 08:54:31 »
Odd.  I got an HHKB a few weeks ago, and mine does wake up my laptop from standby without issue -- although it takes a few seconds longer than other keyboards for the HHKB to be become active and accept input (e.g. Windows password).  It also appears under the Keyboards list in Device Manager as HID Keyboard Device.

Offline lam47

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 18 June 2009, 09:07:34 »
Mine wont wake windows. Also is mine the only one that does not work in windows at first boot or after sleep until you mash the keys a bit?
I currently can't use sleep anyway as if I do my FSB drops down to stock and I can't work out why.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 18 June 2009, 09:25:44 »
I've been able to use a Filco ps/2 to wake my machine up out of standby, but this is the first time I've attempted to get a USB port hhk to work. That's why I was just originally going to find a ps/2 to usbmini and hope it would work. None of my ps/2 to usb adapters work either...doesn't even recognize the keyboard at POST.

I will do a little experimenting today. I'm on a 64bit machine here at work...so now that's another variable I have to factor in

Offline skriefal

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 17:52:48 »
Try the following:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-68055.html

This claims to be a registry patch, but doesn't document which registry setting(s) it changes.  It does seem to have reduced the delay before the HHKB begins to accept input after using the HHKB to wake my Thinkpad (w/Vista X64).

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 21:01:23 »
Thanks I'll give that a try tonight and post my findings.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 22:46:54 »
Well, it seemed to helped the first few times after I installed it.  But the most recent resume was back to the usual delay.  So the jury's still out on this.  It may help, at least intermittently.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 20 June 2009, 00:52:53 »
I see what you mean about it reducing the delay.
When I was experimenting to get the HHKB to pull the computer out of standby, I had made some changes that ended up making standby take 10 seconds to draw the screen, and another 5 seconds for the HHK to pick back up. I had undone everything I did and it went back to normal. Then I reapplied all those fixes, and ran the Thinkpad patch thing. It picked up a little faster, but still not as fast as normal.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 10 August 2009, 14:32:05 »
Resurrection an old thread here, but... I installed Windows 7 RTM a couple days ago.  Since doing so, the delay is now gone.  Not sure if this was an issue with Vista itself, or the chipset drivers, or something else.  But it does seem to be a good sign.