Author Topic: best way to add front side labels?  (Read 2115 times)

Offline gcb

best way to add front side labels?
« on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 00:14:30 »
i'm trying to get used to my weird ergodox layout... and am having a hard time remembering all the layer 1,2 stuff. so i put small post-it squares (write in 0.1 pen, cut tiny square with the part with glue, attach to the front side of the keycap).

it does the job fine and last relatively long since it is in a no-finger-contact side. but eventually one decide to jump to its death during the night. and there goes me with another postit, scissors, pen... it's retarded. not to mention that it makes my sweet penumbra set butt ugly.

so, is there a way to easily print nice labels on the front of the keys? ideally with two lines, one in grey another in blue or something... i'm wondering if any kind of print/transfer would work.

better yet if it can be rubbed off with alcohol so i can continue to change the layout without paying for Binge's kids college :)

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
Re: best way to add front side labels?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 00:26:19 »
only way I know is dry transfer decals. I'm not sure where you get them though since I only ever get them when building gundam models. Wet transfer also works pretty well but I don't like the fuss since I'm lazy and I feel it can get messy too.

Offline gcb

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 01:08:56 »
only way I know is dry transfer decals. I'm not sure where you get them though since I only ever get them when building gundam models. Wet transfer also works pretty well but I don't like the fuss since I'm lazy and I feel it can get messy too.

hum, i think i know the decals you are talking about. but i have no idea how to produce those... or find them in keyboard label theme :)

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 01:54:06 »

hum, i think i know the decals you are talking about. but i have no idea how to produce those... or find them in keyboard label theme :)
http://www.pulsarprofx.com/decalpro/

I have always want to try this, but just don't have time, not so sure how they work on keycaps

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 01:56:30 »

I have always want to try this, but just don't have time, not so sure how they work on keycaps
I know that dry transfer definitely works with abs, but not sure about pbt. It should work though considering how smooth gunpla are.

Offline pasph

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 04:57:37 »
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline gcb

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 13:20:10 »

I clicked around that site i failed to grasp what they are selling exactly. it does not appear to be a service, but supplies and machines to do your decals... that is a little overkill... or are you suggesting a group buy? :D

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 13:23:02 »
You can get waterslide decal paper that works in your laser or inkjet printer. So they you can use any fonts and colors that printer can manage. They are fairly decent lasting when using as front printed. I've done it before but got rid of them after I learned my Fn layer on the Poker when I still had one.

Offline gcb

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 14:27:17 »
http://www.4keyboard.com/

they only have stickers on the top :(

though if they can live being pressed without moving up or down, they should probably live on the side of a key... i would just have to cut them.