Author Topic: Prototyping Layouts?  (Read 1248 times)

Offline ChikkaChiChi

Prototyping Layouts?
« on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 09:17:33 »
I'd like to custom design my own PCB and layout, but I am unsure what the best way to go about designing a prototype for layout "feel".

Before you commit to a radical design, do you test your layouts with a real world sample?  Is there anything I'm overlooking where I can press a bunch of keys into foam or acrylic just to see how the layout works when addressing it?

My original thought would have been a large acrylic sheet similar to the one that comes with the key testers, but with a lot more holes to rearrange things.

Any input would be great, thanks!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Prototyping Layouts?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 09:30:22 »
I think the best way to prototype layouts is to just make a little cardboard mock up. Take a box, then cut out holes to fit switches.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 10:09:59 »
If you are just testing the physical layout for say a game pad and ease of reaching switches I would say that pushing switches into a piece of pink construction type insulation would suffice.  It is cheap enough from big box home improvement type stores that you can get MANY uses out of a full or half sheet.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 10:24:38 »
Start with typing on printouts on paper.

I have prototyped using Cherry MY switch modules. I've got an abundance from Cherry G81 keyboards that I have scavenged MX-compatible keycaps from. The switches have lousy feel, but it is easy to make them flat on the underside, and you can put real keycaps on them and type for real. A few people who have done the same thing have glued strong magnets under them (Refrigerator Magnets! :D ) but I just superglued mine onto sheet plastic. The keycaps are at the same distance from the plastic sheet as keycaps would be from the PCB if the switches were Cherry MX - therefore I could also test the prototype mounted in real keyboard enclosures.
🍉

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 20:44:05 »
Thick card-stock cut with a utility knife works pretty well. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52461.0

Or as a step up from that, laser-cut acrylic. (Much faster, but takes access to a laser cutter and some vector graphics skills.)
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 September 2014, 20:45:43 by jacobolus »