Author Topic: What Switch Is This?  (Read 1543 times)

Offline TheAngelicWolf

• Location: I live in the isolated, deserted, bare land of Mars...I'm the only one here. I need help immediately.
    • My Tumblr
What Switch Is This?
« on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 22:34:46 »
I have this relatively old Macally keyboard laying around and a few keycaps are missing. But I've been wondering, what switches are these?
I thought signatures belonged on paper?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: What Switch Is This?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 22:39:41 »
looks like a slider over a rubber dome, which is what I expect of a mcally kb of this age. I think the keycaps are alps compatible though.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 22:42:16 »
Is that an Apple keyboard?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TheAngelicWolf

• Location: I live in the isolated, deserted, bare land of Mars...I'm the only one here. I need help immediately.
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 22:46:20 »
looks like a slider over a rubber dome, which is what I expect of a mcally kb of this age. I think the keycaps are alps compatible though.
Yeah I asked somewhere else and they said the same thing  ;)

Offline TheAngelicWolf

• My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 22:47:42 »
Yeah it is. I used to use the old eMacs and I remember plugging this keyboard into it. But it works fine for Windows.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 22:51:21 »
Yeah it is. I used to use the old eMacs and I remember plugging this keyboard into it. But it works fine for Windows.

In that case definitely rubber dome.

Mac and PC keyboards are interchangeable - just that the older Mac keyboards had a couple of extra keys.  And Win/Alt are swapped around.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TheAngelicWolf

• My Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 22:57:20 »

In that case definitely rubber dome.

Mac and PC keyboards are interchangeable - just that the older Mac keyboards had a couple of extra keys.  And Win/Alt are swapped around.
I run into that whole Win/Alt nonsense all the time, I'm still not used to it.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 23:02:35 »

mcally has historically made a lot of stuff for apples. They are like assimilation technologies (and later kensington after they acquired them in the late 80s)

so techncially it's not an apple kb, but rather a KB for apple. Sort of like the matias today.

Offline TheAngelicWolf

• My Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 23:15:25 »

mcally has historically made a lot of stuff for apples. They are like assimilation technologies (and later kensington after they acquired them in the late 80s)

so techncially it's not an apple kb, but rather a KB for apple. Sort of like the matias today.
What's the difference? :rolleyes:

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 23:19:41 »
An Apple KB is made by Apple itself. A KB for apple is a keyboard made by a third party manufacturer, which is designed for use with Apple computers.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline TheAngelicWolf

• My Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 23:30:48 »
An Apple KB is made by Apple itself. A KB for apple is a keyboard made by a third party manufacturer, which is designed for use with Apple computers.
Ohhhh, that makes sense.