Author Topic: Knowing i-rocks is in the NKRO business, has anyone tested a KR-6170?  (Read 2830 times)

Offline pex

Newegg has KR-6170-BK on sale for 9.99+ship.  Knowing that i-rocks is in the NKRO business, has anyone tested this keyboard?

No mentions of rollover in any of the 61 reviews:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823204011
Ж®Cherry G80-8113 (someday I hope to have one that reads magstripes, rfid cards, and smartcards), broken \'98 42H1292 Model M, some other Model M from a decade before that, 30 more keyboards in a box, 4 more lying here or there
Destroying Sanctity: my Model M project. Status: Dead.

Offline skyian

Knowing i-rocks is in the NKRO business, has anyone tested a KR-6170?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 02:17:17 »
I search i-rocks official site and Taiwan Auction sites. There's no description about NKRO function on this keyboard. Since NKRO is quite a selling point of keyboard, I think this KR-6170 doesn't have NKRO function.

Hope that could help you a bit... ^_^

BTW, as far as I know. Razer Tarantula is the only selling "USB" keyboard which could "Ten"-key-rollover without any driver. I tried that about half a year ago. ^_^
My Own Keyboards:
RF 103 SILENT 30g, RF RGB, RF103black, RF103white, RF87UB, RF87WB, RF101, HHKB PRO2, Cherry with white, blue, brown, black, RED swithces...etc

WAITING FOR THE Ultimate Bluetooth converter for any keyboard.  Also the Beautiful GMK CAMPING Keycap.

Offline pex

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 12:45:24 »
I doubt they'd be advertising a $20 keyboard with NKRO... I just had an idea maybe it was one of those things that gets implemented because it's easier to keep one's manufacturing lines the way they are but not officially offer the feature.  

I was just looking to see if anyone had it available for user testing.  I have no reason to believe it would have such a feature.
Ж®Cherry G80-8113 (someday I hope to have one that reads magstripes, rfid cards, and smartcards), broken \'98 42H1292 Model M, some other Model M from a decade before that, 30 more keyboards in a box, 4 more lying here or there
Destroying Sanctity: my Model M project. Status: Dead.

Offline pmyshkin

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 13:08:54 »
All I can say about that poster is wow.

Offline alpslover

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 17:35:14 »
i'm surprised nobody here's mentioned the 6230, which has cherry browns, a compact layout, status leds embedded in the keys, n-key rollover (but then they say up to 16 simultaneous keypresses which is technically 16-key rollover, not n-key), an integral usb hub, all for under $100.

Offline cchan

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 20:27:08 »
Quote from: alpslover;98224
i'm surprised nobody here's mentioned the 6230, which has cherry browns, a compact layout, status leds embedded in the keys, n-key rollover (but then they say up to 16 simultaneous keypresses which is technically 16-key rollover, not n-key), an integral usb hub, all for under $100.
Your answer is in the right shift area. They moved the / key to the right of right shift.
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline skyian

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 22:18:32 »
Quote from: alpslover;98224

As for i-rock KR-6230, my friend iqmore and spyguy actually tested that keyboards in Taiwan in March, 2009. They found i-rock KR-6230 is not truly 16 key rollover.

Factually it's like...

Step one:

if you press the following keys in a roll...(and don't release them while press another key)

A S D F G H
Hence now you are pressing six keys at the same time...

Step2:
Now you tried to press another key like "T"

Step3:
Then you will find out the first key "A" you press is not showing anymore.
Now the computer's receiving singal is
"S D F G H T"

In conclusion, this i-rock KR-6230 still can only six key rollover (under the limit of USB fuction). Besides the right shift is moved aside for the "/" key.

(They said that design is for country like Japan or Koren. I am not quite sure about that.. = =" )

Hope that helps you.. ^_^
My Own Keyboards:
RF 103 SILENT 30g, RF RGB, RF103black, RF103white, RF87UB, RF87WB, RF101, HHKB PRO2, Cherry with white, blue, brown, black, RED swithces...etc

WAITING FOR THE Ultimate Bluetooth converter for any keyboard.  Also the Beautiful GMK CAMPING Keycap.

Offline alpslover

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 June 2009, 08:02:26 »
Quote from: skyian;98255
As for i-rock KR-6230, my friend iqmore and spyguy actually tested that keyboards in Taiwan in March, 2009. They found i-rock KR-6230 is not truly 16 key rollover.

Factually it's like...

Step one:

if you press the following keys in a roll...(and don't release them while press another key)

A S D F G H
Hence now you are pressing six keys at the same time...

Step2:
Now you tried to press another key like "T"

Step3:
Then you will find out the first key "A" you press is not showing anymore.
Now the computer's receiving singal is
"S D F G H T"

In conclusion, this i-rock KR-6230 still can only six key rollover (under the limit of USB fuction).

what if you were to press more than 6 keys simultaneously while, for example, typing a document, rather than a rollover test?  would all of the depressed keys register?

this sounds like the das keyboard's 12-key rollover behavior.  testing it using one of those rollover tests shows a 6 key limit, but it will register up to 12 simultaneously depressed keys while typing a document.  i suspect that in a game, only 6 keys would register.

Besides the right shift is moved aside for the "/" key.

it looks like they moved the / key around in favor of keeping the inverted-t arrow key cluster without sacrificing the size of the right shift.  if they had chosen to keep the / key in its customary location and still have a decent sized shift key, they would have had to move the up arrow key to the right.

Offline skyian

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 June 2009, 13:44:41 »
We rarely use another way to do an NKRO test in Taiwan. Afterall only the program could truly find out how many signals are registering right now...(sigh)

We tried to press more than six keys at the same time. But it ends up still only six keys are registering.

Hope that helps a bit... ^_^
My Own Keyboards: