Author Topic: Ducky shine 3 no longer works  (Read 2658 times)

Offline BakaPhoenix

Ducky shine 3 no longer works
« on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 07:48:37 »
Hi!
I had a ducky shine 3 with some not working led so under the suggestion of another forum member i try to diassemble it and figure out if was the led, the controller or other.
So after i opened the keyboard, I unplugged the cable that connect the mini usb port and the pcb, unscrewed the the usb and reconnected the cable but i think here i put in the wrong way and now the keyboard no longer works :S
I din't to anything else to the keyboard... I can still save the board is completely gone?
Thanks

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Re: Ducky shine 3 no longer works
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 14:50:06 »
if you think it was put the wrong way round try turning around the cable. Most of the people on this forum know far more than me but they need photos to figure out.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline BakaPhoenix

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 16:40:53 »
Of course i tried to put the other way around but none of the 2 ways works :S
I can post the photo if needed :S

Offline BakaPhoenix

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 12:56:46 »
I made some test with the multimeter and the way is plugged in the mini usb adapter to the cable of the pcb i have 3.66 v on each led but non of them is lighting and i have all the contact on the swith to 0 v except the row with the right shift to the m switch and the directional arrow and the 6 botton on top of them, at about 0.4-0.6 v

No one really have idea on what i can do? <.<

Offline Owntrolf

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 21:26:57 »
Is it keypresses dont register or is it that the LEDs are turned off/dim

Offline BakaPhoenix

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 14:50:58 »
The keyboard itself is not recognised, both on Mac and pc

Offline OldDataHands

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 20:00:47 »
Sorry BakaPhoenix,
But it is time to look into alternative keyboard
controllers. Reversing the power to the micro
is certain to have caused permanent damage.

You'll learn quite a bit in the process though!

Offline BakaPhoenix

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 10:43:36 »
Sorry BakaPhoenix,
But it is time to look into alternative keyboard
controllers. Reversing the power to the micro
is certain to have caused permanent damage.

You'll learn quite a bit in the process though!

Can i change the controller of the keyboard or i have to buy a new pcb?
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 September 2014, 12:10:42 by BakaPhoenix »

Offline vvp

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 12:20:52 »
Can i change the controller of the keyboard or i have to buy a new pcb?
Yes, you can replace the controller only: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desoldering
The question whether it is the only part which is wrong.

Offline BakaPhoenix

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 12:38:47 »
During the breakdown i feltthat  this chip in the red circle bacame really hot, i don't know what is it, but is possible that is him the one that broke?

P.s. Sorry for the bad photo i'll make a new one tomorrow with better lighting

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 12:53:22 »
just how did you wind up reversing the current? That involves inserting the cables in the opposite way and unnaturally right? Usually there are plastic tabs that keep you from accidentally turning the cable around and mixing up power and ground.

I only asked you to test the individual 'dead' LEDs. You would have to desolder them anyway, and they are meant to be tested outside the kb. It was just to make sure that it wasn't a dead resistor/ another component causing all 4 of them to stop working. Am very sad that such an extreme thing happened.  :mad:
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline BakaPhoenix

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 13:06:30 »
The cable connecting the mini usb and the pcb is very shourt so i couln't test it without disassembling the small pcb where the connector is. I got confused then it wasen't in the case anymore because i had no reference point :S

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 14:08:25 »
The cable connecting the mini usb and the pcb is very shourt so i couln't test it without disassembling the small pcb where the connector is. I got confused then it wasen't in the case anymore because i had no reference point :S

Darn, don't know why more knowledeable people are not coming forth to offer their experiences. Sometimes you only need to get one component to put it in, and everything is fine again, but I don't know how to read a Ducky board.

Since the really good people seem too busy at the moment, I'll throw in what I know.

Firstly, take a complete photo of the internals. Post it as it makes things easier for the experts to see.

Lets look for the keyboard controller. On some keyboards eg Filco, CoolerMaster, the keyboard controller is a small separate PCB that is easily desoldered or pulled out and replace.

Then you can buy something from bpiphany on this website to plug in. Or you can use a teensy and wire it up. That won't bring back the LEDs, but it will make the keyboard programmable so that's good also. And Ducky uses standard layout so you can easily get nice keycaps and use it without backlighting.

If you are not so confident, another thing you can do is to sell the kb for parts and get another one. This website is full of modders who may be interested.