Author Topic: Hello world!  (Read 1786 times)

Offline Cherry1990

Hello world!
« on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 18:56:38 »
I have always been a Cherry user from 90s.  Now I am using a G80-3000LPMUS for more than ten years but I want to change it to something better. Some keycaps are also fading... For that reason, and thanks to Google, I found this wonderful forum and started to read more info I can.
Thanks for making this forum! I love it!!!
P.S.: I am not a gamer. I only love mechanical kayboards. ;)
PBT forever!

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
Re: Hello world!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 19:20:11 »
Welcome! I think you'll find lots of information to dive into. As a non-gamer, I would definitely recommend switches that aren't linear, those are nice for speedy reaction and bottoming out, which typists don't always need to do. Linear switches are Cherry MX Red, Black, and Dark Grey (very uncommon). And for browsing keyboards currently on the market, http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/ is a very useful place to start looking.

Cheers!  :thumb:

Offline Elocutive

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 19:29:37 »
Welcome! if you don't game, go directly towards topre. This way, you will only need 1 keyboard and won't fall prey to the addiction that the rest of us have.
LZCE- Black, red, ergo clears

Wanting Skeldon

Offline Cherry1990

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 04:40:57 »
Thank you for the welcome and suggestions. Unfortunately I live in Italy (where customs are an hell lottery). I watched just yesterday the Topre and yes, probably, they are the best choice for my needs but, unfortunately, they are also very expensive (for me, in Italy).

I would like to try MX Red and MX Brown in the next days. Now I am using MX Black and MX Clear but I would like to try something with lower activation force.

Topre (and Filco) are on top of the list but, for try, I think I will buy some QPAD, less expensive in Europe, to try these MX switches.
I am also searching for something with IT layout for my girlfriend (she works 10 hours a day with the keyboard) but Topre is not available with European layouts and she needs it.
Thank you!
PBT forever!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 05:47:11 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Why not another Cherry keyboard?  Or replace the keycaps on the one you have?  Either is a viable option, with people here who seem to know more than is humanly possible about Cherry keyboards.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Cherry1990

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 18:07:07 »
Why not another Cherry keyboard?  Or replace the keycaps on the one you have?
Because I am not able to find a Cherry keyboard with MX Red or Brown and US layout in my country or in Europe... I mean a G80-3000 model.
I fell in love with "Granite" keycaps, but to late to buy them... Hope to see another round!
Thank you!
PBT forever!

Offline sunshine

• my site
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 01:31:22 »
welcome,new one too~
cool~

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 03:03:00 »
If you're looking to try out other switches, Max Keyboard has a sampler for all 8 Cherry MX switches, but it's recently been sold out on mechanicalkeyboards.com and amazon.

If you're willing to switch out the springs in your clears, I hear it's a great mod for lighter actuation on a tactile switch. It's a mod I'm looking forward to trying at some point rather than using browns.
KBParadise V60 with Cherry MX Browns | Corsair K60 with Cherry MX Reds

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 01:32:07 »
QWER also has an 8-way switch tester: http://www.qwer.io/product-category/switch-testers/
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Cherry1990

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 17:24:29 »
@rowdy: Thank you! Useful suggestion, they also ship from Europe, nice to know.
In the next days I will try MX Brown and MX Red from a friend. I miss MX Blue only... I already have MX Black and MX Clear. The other one are also difficult to find inside a keyboard today...

@notsonerd:  Sorry, what do you mean? To remove or replace every spring from all MX Clear switches?
PBT forever!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 05:39:43 »
@rowdy: Thank you! Useful suggestion, they also ship from Europe, nice to know.
In the next days I will try MX Brown and MX Red from a friend. I miss MX Blue only... I already have MX Black and MX Clear. The other one are also difficult to find inside a keyboard today...

@notsonerd:  Sorry, what do you mean? To remove or replace every spring from all MX Clear switches?

Each Cherry MX switch has a spring in it.  Many people swap the springs for something a bit heavier or lighter than normal, but keep the original stem.  So you could make really light clicky switches by putting weak springs into MX blues, or you could put extra-stiff springs into MX blacks and make super blacks.

Offline Cherry1990

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 15:59:44 »
Thank you, I understand. I will check online if I can find some spare part springs and their price.
PBT forever!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 16:11:11 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 September 2015, 14:47:10 by esoomenona »