Author Topic: IBM Model M Ctrl+Alt  (Read 4819 times)

Offline wax_lyrical

IBM Model M Ctrl+Alt
« on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 02:29:01 »
Hi Forums!

I've just received my first Model M, and it's great; just like the ones I remember at school!

The only thing is, and I'm not certain whether I'm alone in this problem, or whether this is a standard glitch: the ctrl and alt combination doesn't register. Left ctrl and alt fire individually, but not together.
I'm connecting the keyboard via an adapter that I got from Ebay, it looks like the ones I've seen touted as working.

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11298/subcatid/0/id/124184
(It's the one that's blue with the red writing, a little chunky item!)

I've remapped the windows key using Sharpkeys remap software, but the ctrl-alt thing never seemed to work. I've spent a while trawling through the windows options, but I can't get it working; and I know the keys don't function together, as I can't even type the combination inside KeyExtender in order to remap it.

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem?

One the plus side, the keyboard is close to fantastic: but I'm a programmer for a living and need the ctrl_alt combo working.

Best wishes from UK!
Paul

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: IBM Model M Ctrl+Alt
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 03:31:35 »
Left Ctrl and Alt are on the same membrane row, so key ghosting can occur in combination with other keys on those columns (Shift, Space, B, N and Down arrow if the membranes on yours are like the ones on mine), but they should both be detected when used together on their own or with keys from other columns. On the other hand, the right hand ones are on separate rows, so they won't have this issue.

Sounds like the converter may be doing something weird since they work when used on their own. Do you have a computer with a PS2 port you can try the board on? If the board works fine when connected directly using the PS2 port, it's probably best to get a Soarer's converter: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=17458.0
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline keyhopper

• Fun is Key.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 17:48:46 »

[...]
The only thing is, and I'm not certain whether I'm alone in this problem, or whether this is a standard glitch: the ctrl and alt combination doesn't register. Left ctrl and alt fire individually, but not together.
I'm connecting the keyboard via an adapter that I got from Ebay, it looks like the ones I've seen touted as working.

[...]
I wonder if anyone else has had this problem?

One the plus side, the keyboard is close to fantastic: but I'm a programmer for a living and need the ctrl_alt combo working.

Best wishes from UK!
Paul

I don't have the problem.
I have an IBM Model M made in 1995 by lexmark. Its model number is 82G2384 (the same as 82G2383 but with spanish ISO layout (though I prefer ANSI layout, this is the one I could find)). It is a buckling spring KB, has removeable keycaps, drainage channels, non-detachable PS/2 cable, blue label, and the speaker holes at the bottom.

Though I can connect it directly to PS/2 in my motherboard, I choose to connect it through a USB adapter so that I don't have to worry about plugging in the PS/2 port while the computer is ON.

I tried a terrible adapter before I found the one in the attached images. My previous adapter would drop keystrokes and suddenly repeat keys too.
The one I'm using works perfectly.

I have several shortcuts on CTRL+ALT and I just retested them and they work with both the left side keys and the right side CTRL+ALT keys.
Such as CTRL+ALT+M to mute, up/down arrows to increase decrease volume, CTRL+ALT+L to lock the screen, CTRL+ALT+K to switch between Dvorak and qwerty (qwerty only used for guests :-) ).

Linux reports that my USB converter requests 400mA of max current (doesn't mean it uses the full 400mA all the time, just that it is the max).
With 'lsusb -v' I see the following:
Code: [Select]
            # lsusb -v
            [.... other devices ....]
            Bus 003 Device 018: ID 13ba:0018 PCPlay Barcode PCP-BCG4209
            Device Descriptor:
              bLength                18
              bDescriptorType         1
              bcdUSB               1.10
              bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
              bDeviceSubClass         0
              bDeviceProtocol         0
              bMaxPacketSize0         8
              idVendor           0x13ba PCPlay
              idProduct          0x0018 Barcode PCP-BCG4209
              bcdDevice            0.01
              iManufacturer           0
              iProduct                1
              iSerial                 0
              bNumConfigurations      1
              Configuration Descriptor:
                bLength                 9
                bDescriptorType         2
                wTotalLength           59
                bNumInterfaces          2
                bConfigurationValue     1
                iConfiguration          0
                bmAttributes         0xa0
                  (Bus Powered)
                  Remote Wakeup
                MaxPower              400mA
                Interface Descriptor:
                  bLength                 9
                  bDescriptorType         4
                  bInterfaceNumber        0
                  bAlternateSetting       0
                  bNumEndpoints           1
                  bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Device
                  bInterfaceSubClass      1 Boot Interface Subclass
                  bInterfaceProtocol      1 Keyboard
              [...]

Note the line where it says:
                MaxPower              400mA

The VID:PID of the converter I'm using is this, as seen above:  13ba:0018 (you might find it branded differently, but with that same chip, by VID:PID).

For some reason, the converter description says Bar Code Reader. I guess it makes sense since the bar code readers actually input the code as keystrokes to the computer. Someone was lazy not updating the description of the device for that chip. But it works wonderfully, and requests the 400mA from the USB port (more than enough for the IBM Model M).

My previous converter was reported to only request 100mA of current from USB, which might have been causing it to reset and eat keypresses and keyreleases.

I have also attached a picture of a spare converter still in the blister, maybe you can find it by the picture.

ALSO, first and foremost: have you tried connecting the keyboard directly to a PS/2 port on a desktop PC that has it? Even new some ones have it. My gigabyte motherboard came out in 2013 and still has a PS/2 port.

I hope this was of some help,
anything to help a fellow programmer,
Cheers!!
.KeyHopper.

RealForce 87UB 55gr    |    IBM Model M (1995)    |    Razer B.W.T.E. Stealth (w Razer oranges)

Offline wax_lyrical

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 02:23:56 »
Thank you for the reply!

I've not been around a pc with ps2, but can make a special journey: I know where a few live :)

The problem sorted itself for about an hour yesterday, and then returned. The connections seem fine inside, and I've cleaned everything inside too. The adapter was cheap, so I'll try the one you suggest.

Cheers,
Wax Lyrical

Offline keyhopper

• Fun is Key.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 04:03:29 »
Thank you for the reply!

I've not been around a pc with ps2, but can make a special journey: I know where a few live :)

The problem sorted itself for about an hour yesterday, and then returned. The connections seem fine inside, and I've cleaned everything inside too. The adapter was cheap, so I'll try the one you suggest.

Cheers,
Wax Lyrical

Hello again!

1) After re-reading your first post, I'm not sure that your problem might be the converter.

I am now thinking that SharpKeys might not be the best software for what you are trying to do. Maybe you need AutoHotkeys.
Myself, I use Linux most of the time (KDE/Kubuntu more specifically), so for example, when I said that I used CTRL+ALT+Arrows for volume I do it on linux (using the global shortcuts configuration of KDE).

From SharpKeys FAQ:

Q: Can I remap a combination of keys to one key?
          A: Sadly, no. SharpKeys only remaps whole keys rather than a modified key. For example, you can remap Ctrl or C but you can't remap Ctrl+C to another key.
      http://www.randyrants.com/sharpkeys/faq.htm

They way that SharpKeys works, is by changing a map in Window's registry to "replace" one key by another one.
Much like "KeyTweak 2.3.0", which I prefer (I use KeyTweak to map CapsLock to ESC when in windows).

How do you want to map CTRL+ALT exactly?

A second read of your post, sounds to me like you want CTRL+ALT to act as the Windows key (that cannot be done with SharpKeys, but maybe with AutoHotKey you can achieve the same goal in a different way).

2) Have you tried "Aqua Key Test"?:

"Aqua Key Test"
       http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=6643.0

this program displays the keys currently pressed, which will tell you if CTRL+ALT+<key> is actually reaching your computer.
If you still cannot see CTRL+ALT+<key> you might want to clear SharpKeys mappings (and reboot) to make sure that they are not causing trouble.

3) If the problem turns out to be the USB converter, keep in mind that finding an specific converter is no easy task. Even if you find one that looks the same or is expensive, there is no guarantee that the chip used inside is the same (see USB/PS2 converter reviews on amazon for the Belkin converter: some users complain that they seem to have changed the circuit for one that doesn't work as well but keeping the exterior in a new version). Some people recommend the "Adesso" USB/PS2 converter, and the blue cube is always recommended by everyone.

So again I would first make sure that the keyboard works fine when connected directly to a PS/2 port on a motherboard that has it. It might save you some frustration.

Cheers!
.KeyHopper.

RealForce 87UB 55gr    |    IBM Model M (1995)    |    Razer B.W.T.E. Stealth (w Razer oranges)