Author Topic: Anybody try to make one of these cloaking devices?  (Read 1842 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Anybody try to make one of these cloaking devices?
« on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 06:03:13 »
From reading the end of this article, it does not seem to difficult, and I might get on it.

http://www.rochester.edu/newscenter/watch-rochester-cloak-uses-ordinary-lenses-to-hide-objects-across-continuous-range-of-angles-70592/
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Anybody try to make one of these cloaking devices?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 07:27:29 »
From reading the end of this article, it does not seem to difficult, and I might get on it.

http://www.rochester.edu/newscenter/watch-rochester-cloak-uses-ordinary-lenses-to-hide-objects-across-continuous-range-of-angles-70592/

Cool!

When will somebody do a set of car windows?
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 07:35:22 »

I like this idea...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 09:12:44 »

I like this idea...
how about that big car with cameras and LED screens
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 14:03:57 »

Cool!

You would need a lens the size of your car spaced like 2 cars apart on each side to hide each window. Hiding the edges of things with lenses is nothing new, the "novel" approach here is all about using 4 lenses to also correct for parallax (which is pretty cool) Unfortunately it's still a pretty limited use.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 09:01:08 »
Forgot that I started this thread.  Anyways, I want to try this out, even if the uses are limited.  Would be a cool trick to see through my hand.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 04:51:52 »
Interesting concept, but it only works on-axis. Shift the viewpoint and you lose the effect. In theory you could also build a lens system that hides an object at the centre instead using concave conical (at each end) and convex ring (in the centre, around the object you're hiding) lenses. With both approaches you lose a little brightness.

I prefer an approach using software controlled integral imaging camera / display modules with position / angle sensors to map the incoming colour from a particular position / angle to the directly opposite position / angle.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 10:55:03 »
Interesting concept, but it only works on-axis. Shift the viewpoint and you lose the effect. In theory you could also build a lens system that hides an object at the centre instead using concave conical (at each end) and convex ring (in the centre, around the object you're hiding) lenses. With both approaches you lose a little brightness.

I prefer an approach using software controlled integral imaging camera / display modules with position / angle sensors to map the incoming colour from a particular position / angle to the directly opposite position / angle.

It'll also work for a few solid angles off axis, depending on the size/placement of the optics used.

I agree, the camera / projector is the way to go, but the farther off that projector line you get the more shift there is between the boundary of the object and what is visible behind it.