Author Topic: New Member Intro and a Combimouse [Keyboard] Question  (Read 2245 times)

Offline shrap

New Member Intro and a Combimouse [Keyboard] Question
« on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 01:19:42 »
Hi everybody,

It's great to see a bunch of fellow keyboard lovers. I've been lurking here for a while, already have three boards with mechanical switches (Unicomp, Omnikey, and a Filco) and I'm still looking for the right one for me. Unfortunately I've been using Microsoft Natural Keyboards for over a decade, and the body refuses to make the switch back to a "standard" layout. My Omnikey Evolution is probably the nicest thing that I have, and I have some MS Natural boards which I've chopped off the number pad to make my own "Tenkeyless" boards.

That in mind - does anyone have any information on the Combimouse combination keyboard/mouse? It made a big splash and hit all the tech blogs when it was introduced back in 2006, but it quickly disappeared from view since it wasn't in production, just a concept. Here's the link:

http://www.combimouse.com/

Undoubtedly a membrane board, and they key configuration looks a bit crazy, but I'd be willing to put up with these issues just so I don't ever have to do the mouse/keyboard switching thing.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 05:08:20 »
Quote from: shrap;98502
Unfortunately I've been using Microsoft Natural Keyboards for over a decade, and the body refuses to make the switch back to a "standard" layout.
What about a Model M15 or a Omnikey Evolution? Problem is of course, these things are ridiculously expensive - the M15 routinely goes for $300-400 on eBay for a used board.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 06:24:20 »
^^^ He said he has an Evolution.

Speaking of the Combimouse, I like how it looks in the videos. I would have turned the scroll wheel by 90 degrees though. The way it is placed now you'd have to move your whole arm for scrolling. Or really bend your thumb. But maybe it's different IRL.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 08:29:41 »
Quote from: ch_123;98519
What about a Model M15 or a Omnikey Evolution? Problem is of course, these things are ridiculously expensive - the M15 routinely goes for $300-400 on eBay for a used board.

The Evolution is not too expensive.  I bought mine NIB for around $80 from c-techsys.com.  Northgatekeyboardrepair.com has them for about the same price refurbed (they also have NIB for a little more).

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 08:39:40 »
Quote from: shrap;98502
Hi everybody,

It's great to see a bunch of fellow keyboard lovers. I've been lurking here for a while, already have three boards with mechanical switches (Unicomp, Omnikey, and a Filco) and I'm still looking for the right one for me. Unfortunately I've been using Microsoft Natural Keyboards for over a decade, and the body refuses to make the switch back to a "standard" layout. My Omnikey Evolution is probably the nicest thing that I have, and I have some MS Natural boards which I've chopped off the number pad to make my own "Tenkeyless" boards.

That in mind - does anyone have any information on the Combimouse combination keyboard/mouse? It made a big splash and hit all the tech blogs when it was introduced back in 2006, but it quickly disappeared from view since it wasn't in production, just a concept. Here's the link:

http://www.combimouse.com/

Undoubtedly a membrane board, and they key configuration looks a bit crazy, but I'd be willing to put up with these issues just so I don't ever have to do the mouse/keyboard switching thing.

When I joined this board, I was an exclusive ergo user.  I had used MS Natural 'boards for quite a few years (14 now that I think about it), and I was looking for a mechanical ergo 'board.  I bought my Evolution and loved it.  Shortly thereafter, I bought a MS Natural Wireless Ergo WTFBBQ Laser Mouse 6000, and found that it relieved the RSI symptoms that I was using the ergo 'boards for (thus, it wasn't the keyboard causing my problems).  I now use "regular" keyboards exclusively.  The one change I made that helped with the transition back to a regular layout was to move back from the keyboard a bit.  With the ergo 'boards, I would sit right over the top to keep my wrists in the proper position, when I moved back from the keyboard, my wrists naturally aligned with the regular keyboard layout. You may want to try that tip to see if that helps.  Everybody's different, but I didn't find it too hard to switch back to a regular layout after a couple of days of use.

BTW, welcome to GeekHack! :)

Offline shrap

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 11:30:50 »
Quote from: ripster;98504
Welcome to Geekhack!

Not sure what you're asking here - if it's not in production by now I doubt it will attract a lot of capital during a recession.

Are you looking for alternative ergo layout with built in pointing device?

Or just wondering what people think of the concept?   Me, I like my keyboard to stay still, thank you.  And I've been to Perth but am not willing to invest dollars there to make this  thing fly.  It seems the internet is full of concepts....

Yeah, I was hoping that maybe someone knows if it did go into production, or someone else bought the patents and is marketing it under a different name, or something. The technology doesn't seem that hard - $10 keyboard plus a $10 optical mouse, and it sounded a lot more promising than some other radically designed keyboards out there touting to be "ergonomic".

Quote from: ch_123;98519

I have an Omnikey Evolution, but I still wonder how awesome it would be to have an M15. My roommate had one in college, but since he regularly ate over it and spilled stuff on it, it died in a few years. I would have offered him quite a lot of beer money for that one.

Quote from: itlnstln;98551
When I joined this board, I was an exclusive ergo user.  I had used MS Natural 'boards for quite a few years (14 now that I think about it), and I was looking for a mechanical ergo 'board.  I bought my Evolution and loved it.  Shortly thereafter, I bought a MS Natural Wireless Ergo WTFBBQ Laser Mouse 6000, and found that it relieved the RSI symptoms that I was using the ergo 'boards for (thus, it wasn't the keyboard causing my problems).  I now use "regular" keyboards exclusively.  The one change I made that helped with the transition back to a regular layout was to move back from the keyboard a bit.  With the ergo 'boards, I would sit right over the top to keep my wrists in the proper position, when I moved back from the keyboard, my wrists naturally aligned with the regular keyboard layout. You may want to try that tip to see if that helps.  Everybody's different, but I didn't find it too hard to switch back to a regular layout after a couple of days of use.

BTW, welcome to GeekHack! :)

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I think it's the combination of normal layout board + insanely light keys (Cherry Blues on the Filco) that's stressing out my hands so much. The BS on the Unicomp seemed to be less stressful.

Quote from: itlnstln;98547
The Evolution is not too expensive.  I bought mine NIB for around $80 from c-techsys.com.  Northgatekeyboardrepair.com has them for about the same price refurbed (they also have NIB for a little more).

I'm thinking of buying one or two more. That should last me a couple more decades, or at least until there's no place to plug in the COM plug for the touchpad.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 12:02:10 »
I'm thinking of buying one or two more. That should last me a couple more decades, or at least until there's no place to plug in the COM plug for the touchpad.

Don't worry, they make Serial to USB adpaters.