Author Topic: Popup  (Read 5031 times)

Offline patrickgeekhack

Popup
« on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 16:12:16 »
Does anyone get a new browser window popping up and going to easyseek4u.info when visiting geekhack.org? This started to happen about 5 minutes ago when I went to geekhack.org using Safari 4 for Mac. I don't get this windows if I use Camino or FireFox.

Offline itlnstln

Popup
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 16:14:07 »
I got a redirect one time today, but I don't know if that was because I might have accidently clicked one of the ads or something.  That's weird, though. Spyware, maybe? ;)

Offline patrickgeekhack

Popup
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 16:18:16 »
Quote from: itlnstln;98660
I got a redirect one time today, but I don't know if that was because I might have accidently clicked one of the ads or something.  That's weird, though. Spyware, maybe? ;)

I know for a fact that I did not click on any link. I don't if it's Spyware since I'm using a Mac. I know that Mac are not immune to attact, but so far, I have not come across Spyware for Mac. The weird thing is that FireFox does not have this problem, nor does Camino (based on Mozilla).

Offline itlnstln

Popup
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 16:47:53 »
Sorry, the spyware comment was just smart-a*s .  I am not sure what could have caused it, though.  Maybe one of the ads that was being fed had some malicious script in it.

Offline patrickgeekhack

Popup
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 17:40:15 »
Quote from: itlnstln;98668
Sorry, the spyware comment was just smart-a*s .  I am not sure what could have caused it, though.  Maybe one of the ads that was being fed had some malicious script in it.

I took your comment seriously because Spyware or code could be the only possible explanation for this. I thought I applied the patch from Apple for a Java vulnerability, but when I checked again, there was one waiting to be applied. The problem went away after that.

Because Apple was taking too long to fix that problem, I disable Java in Safari. I enabled it again after I thought I had applied the fix. This was when I started experiencing this problem.

Offline o2dazone

Popup
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 19:00:42 »
Thanks to Adblock Plus (or custom hosts file...your choice) I haven't seen a pop up in years.

Offline patrickgeekhack

Popup
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 19:21:53 »
Quote from: ripster;98685
Welcome to da Big Time all you Apple users!

I wear my Windows key around my neck as a talisman against these evil hackers.

I was waiting for someone to come up with such a comment :-) Somehow I'm not surprised it's coming from...Ripster!

I use all of the big three: Linux, Vista and OS X, although my primary machine is a MacBook. I like OS X especially when I need to work with multiple opened windows. Exposé simply makes OS X in that domain much better than Windows. Other than that, I don't care what OS it is as long as I get to do my work.  What I do care, however, is the quality of the keyboard :rockon:

Offline patrickgeekhack

Popup
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 19:24:51 »
Quote from: o2dazone;98686
Thanks to Adblock Plus (or custom hosts file...your choice) I haven't seen a pop up in years.

This works if you are using Firefox as your main browser, right? I use Safari for most of my stuffs because Firefox's window management does not work the same way as the other applications in OS X. I sometimes uses Camino (same engine) which as built-in preferences to stop web ads and Flash animations by default.

Offline o2dazone

Popup
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 19:38:13 »
Yeah, if you're not using Firefox, then your options are kind of limited (although you should relatively impervious to that stuff anyways, isn't that one big of the bigger reasons people use Macs?). That said, you still have a hosts file

Just use this hosts file to block incoming shiet before your browser. I've used it on stripped down system, where I had to cut corners as much as possible (eee pc)

Offline patrickgeekhack

Popup
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 19:47:47 »
Quote from: o2dazone;98691
Yeah, if you're not using Firefox, then your options are kind of limited (although you should relatively impervious to that stuff anyways, isn't that one big of the bigger reasons people use Macs?). That said, you still have a hosts file

Just use this hosts file to block incoming shiet before your browser. I've used it on stripped down system, where I had to cut corners as much as possible (eee pc)

Thanks. I'll have a look at hosts file or switch to a default browser. As for using Macs against malware and virus, I'm happy in the sense that it's the first time I've had to deal with this stuff since I've been using a Mac as my primary computer (2006). There are times when I would like my relatives to switch to Mac: I won't have to do technical support over the phone on a regular basis. It sounds cliché, but it's true.

Offline watduzhkstand4

Popup
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 20:48:25 »
nope didn't get any redirection or popups
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline Newsgab

Popup
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 07:40:28 »
Hi mate, I found this site searching for an answer as I was having the same issue on newsgab

Adbrite (the same ad providers used on this site) appear to be hosting dodgy ads.

Thanks for helping me with my troubleshooting, I removed the ads on my own site and this stopped the issue for my safari visitors, I guess its for the admin of this site to consider the same :)

I've also contacted adbrite advising them of the issue so hopefully they will sort it out either way :)

Cheers all, nice community BTW :)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Popup
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 08:15:11 »
Not surprising that Adbrite is feeding some questionable ads.  I doubt they do much (if any) QA in that area.  I'll likely just pull the ads all together.  They are crap most of the time anyways.

Offline Repoman

Popup
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 08:15:56 »
That's a bit of a pain - I really like v4, which is more than can be said for all the previous versions.

Back to Firefox and noscript...

Offline IBI

Popup
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 08:30:38 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;98688
Exposé simply makes OS X in that domain much better than Windows.

Only if you don't use Switcher.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline Repoman

Popup
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 08:33:52 »
Gentlemen - start your flamethrowers please! :laugh:

Offline patrickgeekhack

Popup
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 17:08:20 »
Quote from: IBI;98781
Only if you don't use Switcher.

Thanks. I've been looking for a Windows equivalent. I may try it on my wife's computer. Unfortunately (or fortunately), we are still using XP at work.

Offline patrickgeekhack

Popup
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 17:12:34 »
Quote from: Repoman;98785
Gentlemen - start your flamethrowers please! :laugh:

I hope this thread does not turn into a flame war. It's not my intention. If I do have a peference for OS X, I don't spit on the other OS. Windows put food on the table. Linux is fun to use too. In fact, I might go the Linux way when it's time to replace my MacBook. Skype is now a true cross-platform video conference software.

Offline patrickgeekhack

Popup
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 17:14:38 »
Quote from: iMav;98777
Not surprising that Adbrite is feeding some questionable ads.  I doubt they do much (if any) QA in that area.  I'll likely just pull the ads all together.  They are crap most of the time anyways.

Too bad. I don't mind ads on some sites as they allow the owners to get something back for offering a free service.

Offline patrickgeekhack

Popup
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 17:17:48 »
Quote from: Repoman;98778
That's a bit of a pain - I really like v4, which is more than can be said for all the previous versions.

Back to Firefox and noscript...

Do you like Safari 4? I don't mind it, but I was fine with the previous version. I use Safari most of the time, but Camino whenever I'm watching a flash video. Camino seems to use less CPU power in that regard. Of course, Firefox is handy for my university stuffs.

Offline Repoman

Popup
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 17:52:55 »
I never used the previous versions much, but v4 interested me. The page summary view was new to me (not an opera fan) but I really like being able to pull a tab from one safari window and have it appear in it's own. Nice feature.

Oh - and the page rendering really is much quicker.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 June 2009, 18:04:37 by Repoman »

Offline cmr

Popup
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 25 June 2009, 19:30:33 »
i noticed this in chromium.

i also noticed that ads.adbrite.com and ads.vrx.adbrite.com were crashing the tab so i had to blackhole them in /etc/hosts.

Offline Mr.6502

Popup
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 27 June 2009, 20:21:32 »
It just tried to open a popup on me as well.  Looks like it was adbrite causing it and it tried to open an easyseek4u.info URL.
"Engineers are really good at labeling and branding things ...  If we had named Kentucky Fried Chicken, it would have been Hot Dead Birds."

-Vint Cerf