Author Topic: Where is that post that describes all the different types of switches?  (Read 2903 times)

Offline Special K

There is a post on here somewhere that gives pictures and descriptions of all the different types of switches that are used in keyboards.  I've tried searching for it but can't find it.  Google search isn't helping much either, as all of the links to geekhack come up as invalid.

Does anyone know the topic I'm referring to?
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline itlnstln

Where is that post that describes all the different types of switches?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 16:42:57 »
You can use the wiki, but I think you are looking for this: http://park16.wakwak.com/~ex4/kb/tech.htm

Offline Special K

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 16:51:27 »
I only see an article about alps switches in the wiki.  I remember there being an article somewhere that also included all the cherry switches.  

Maybe it's the one you posted, but for some reason I thought there was one written right here in the geekhack forums.  The one I'm thinking of had english descriptions of the keys.
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2

LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 20:20:50 »
This one has photos of a wide variety of switch types, but will need to be run through Google Translate:
http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~hisao/jiku.htm

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 20:30:40 »
Our very own Wiki has two very good articles on Cherry and Alps switches.

Offline Special K

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 21:31:55 »
Quote from: ch_123;98697
Our very own Wiki has two very good articles on Cherry and Alps switches.

Where is the Cherry one?  When I click on "GeekHack Wiki" at the top of the message boards, all I see are 2 articles: one called "PS2-to-USB adapters" and another called "ALPS switches".  The Cherry one you mention is probably the one I'm thinking of, but why doesn't it show up when I click the GeekHack Wiki link?
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2

Offline Special K

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 22:31:29 »
Quote from: ripster;98709
here's a direct link.

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Cherry+switches

Sigh, not a lot of incentive to keep up the  wiki when it's so difficult to find....

O2 or iMav - how about a big fat link on the homepage under Media??

That's the one I was thinking of.  It's listed as being under the wiki, but why doesn't it show up when I click on the "GeekHack Wiki" link at the top of the page?
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 23:09:40 »

It's there.

Also, adding a subforum would be an iMav thing, although I think that's a little overkill having it as a subforum and a link at the top. I'll play around with something tomorrow and see if I can accentuate the Geekhack Wiki link

Offline Special K

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 June 2009, 23:21:41 »
Quote from: ripster;98715
O2, thanks.  Even just moving it to where UserCp is would help.  (LOL - then everyone would complain - "Where's the Control Panel"?)

SpecialK - try flushing your cache and see it that helps.

I found the problem - in my forum settings, it was set to only display topics from the last 3 weeks.  Since most of the wiki entries were made before that, they weren't showing up for me.  Once I changed the setting to display all topics, they showed up.
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2