Author Topic: wasdkeyboards.com Custom Keycap sets?  (Read 1809 times)

Offline Bonheim

• Robin, pass me the shark repelant bat spray!
wasdkeyboards.com Custom Keycap sets?
« on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 14:38:24 »
I have been hunting for a good set of new  (pink) keycaps for MX red switches and came across the Custom order keycap set available at this website!
Playing around a bit with the layout i am hoping to chat with someone who has ordered these in the past or has any experience with because i must say the customization available seems too good to be true.
My Board: Ducky Zero Shine DK2108S MX Red LED Blue.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
Re: wasdkeyboards.com Custom Keycap sets?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 14:49:00 »
Here's their flickr, where they post the designs people have done

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wasdkeyboards/

Offline yomammary

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 18:10:57 »
Oh it's very real. The caps are ABS but if you don't mind WASD is the easiest way to have custom keycaps.
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 18:34:57 »
It's not the fact that they're ABS that's the issue, but the fact that they're thin ABS, and they use laser etching to print the legends.

Thin ABS isn't any worse than the OEM caps that come with most boards, it's just that people prefer thicker caps from other aftermarket manufacturers in most cases. The laser printing also isn't a huge issue, but sometimes people find they can feel the legend under their fingers.

See this thread for more info
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 19:16:00 »
It's not the fact that they're ABS that's the issue, but the fact that they're thin ABS, and they use laser etching to print the legends.

Thin ABS isn't any worse than the OEM caps that come with most boards, it's just that people prefer thicker caps from other aftermarket manufacturers in most cases. The laser printing also isn't a huge issue, but sometimes people find they can feel the legend under their fingers.

According to the thread you linked they don't do laser etching anymore but UV printing.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 19:19:07 »

According to the thread you linked they don't do laser etching anymore but UV printing.

So they do. Guess I should have read the entire thread before I linked it. Thanks for the catch.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Bonheim

• Robin, pass me the shark repelant bat spray!
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 19:21:59 »
I have looked into the the negative aspects of the keycaps im ordering and have taken that into account. I actually, in this case, welcome the thinness of the keys because my led with have a dull shine through with an underglow effect.

Color and theme are what matter most to me in this as i am finishing up a build and can finally match my keyboard to my gorgeous pink NZXT phantom (custom batman edition) case.

So i appreciate the feedback and it seems like i will be getting exaclty what i am expecting. My next keyboard will have better caps for certain. Amature here, ill be happy if its shiney. easy to please lol
My Board: Ducky Zero Shine DK2108S MX Red LED Blue.

Offline Britney Spears

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 02:53:49 »
A colleague of mine has a nice custom keycap set from WASD. It is quite good looking and the legends came out very sharp. But on the left shift key the printing starts to peel off, which is surprising since the keycaps have seen a maximum of six months of daily usage (it is his only keyboard and he works as a software developer). Maybe it is just a manufacturing defect as all other keys seem fine, but maybe the UV printing is not as durable as WASD claims.