Author Topic: What are the best Keycap replacements for the KUL ES-87.  (Read 6880 times)

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
What are the best Keycap replacements for the KUL ES-87.
« on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 19:07:10 »
After having my KUL for the better part of 5 days, I've realised that I ****ing hate ABS caps. I'm just wondering what do you think in your own opinion are the best looking caps to replace ABS caps on a TKL board.

I like black layouts, grey/light grey layouts, I am willing to use either POM or PBT. I really like this keycap set: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/granite-keycap-set?mode=guest_open

Do you guys have any other suggestions? as this keycap set isn't currently available, so I'm open to alternatives really.
你搞砸了

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
Re: What are the best Keycap replacements for the KUL ES-87.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 19:12:14 »
Try gmk before you decide you hate abs, those stock abs sets blow
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 19:12:58 »
omg ABS is sooo bad PBT MASTER RACE !!!

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 19:17:34 »
Ye stock poker 2 pbt best pbt, top tier **** xd xd
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 19:54:45 »
I have GMK on mine and it's pretty great.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 20:32:39 »
Anyone got any links of where I should start? I need something nice and sexayyyyyy.
你搞砸了

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 20:46:30 »
There's a GMK group buy coming up soon from ctrlalt, also feng is about to launch a GMK group buy and Ivan is about to start shipping dolch GMK sets, no doubt some of those will show up in the classifieds.

And as much as I love doubleshot GMK ABS caps, these pbt caps http://www.ebay.com/itm/PBT-Keycap-Set-for-Cherry-MX-based-Leopold-Keyboard-Front-Face-Englih-Black-/281377716241 are some of the best caps I've used and I'm not really the biggest fan of pbt. I recommend these caps to anyone looking for a set of caps to use and for the price they can't be beat.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 October 2014, 21:01:48 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 00:59:46 »
There's a GMK group buy coming up soon from ctrlalt, also feng is about to launch a GMK group buy and Ivan is about to start shipping dolch GMK sets, no doubt some of those will show up in the classifieds.

And as much as I love doubleshot GMK ABS caps, these pbt caps http://www.ebay.com/itm/PBT-Keycap-Set-for-Cherry-MX-based-Leopold-Keyboard-Front-Face-Englih-Black-/281377716241 are some of the best caps I've used and I'm not really the biggest fan of pbt. I recommend these caps to anyone looking for a set of caps to use and for the price they can't be beat.

^^This man speaks the truth. You should be able to find other versions of those Leopold sets on eBay if you don't like front-printed. They're Cherry profile thick PBT and really well made, similar to your Choc Mini keycaps, but in PBT instead of POM.

If you're interested in blank black thick PBT, you may be able to get someone to transfer their set in the Pitch Black GB (although the production schedule on these is still a bit vague): http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50935.0

Here's an idea of what the Dolch colour scheme looks like on a KUL ES-87:

Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 10:54:54 »
Show Image

Funny, I just last night installed this exact key set from Signature Plastics for my Keyed Up keyboard. Love it, but the spacebar is not fitting right at all — it takes extra effort to depress and barely springs back. Emailed them to see what my options are but haven't heard back. Anybody know if this is likely to be a defect, a basic incomatibility? Thanks!

Oh, also, I'm on a Mac and would love to find a DCS key that I can use in place of the "WIN" key to indicate the command key. Anyplace in particular I should look to find something that would match the color of the other modifier keys? I'd be down with a diamond shape or something as long as the profile and color are right.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 October 2014, 10:59:50 by dchadwick »

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 14:15:43 »

^^This man speaks the truth. You should be able to find other versions of those Leopold sets on eBay if you don't like front-printed. They're Cherry profile thick PBT and really well made, similar to your Choc Mini keycaps, but in PBT instead of POM.

If you're interested in blank black thick PBT, you may be able to get someone to transfer their set in the Pitch Black GB (although the production schedule on these is still a bit vague): http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50935.0

Here's an idea of what the Dolch colour scheme looks like on a KUL ES-87:

Show Image

Show Image

That dolch colour scheme is really nice to be honest, I really need to look into getting me some of those, I really like them.

And as for those Leopold keycaps, they're really nice also, I've never really considered using side printed keycaps, but I will admit, they do look really nice and they're rather cheap also, I might just go ahead and pick some of them up now and just see how they feel and what not. I'm not a huge PBT fan either, but I'll give them a go regardless.

Edit: Just ordered those keycaps off ebay, they look to be low profile like my Noppoo keys like Oobly suggested, so I just had to have them! Hopefully they will be decent enough to type on, as long as they're better than ABS, I don't really give a fk.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 October 2014, 14:29:32 by Fragil1ty »
你搞砸了