Author Topic: Does this keyboard exist?  (Read 2728 times)

Offline steve.v

Does this keyboard exist?
« on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 23:16:36 »
Switch type: Scissors
Profile: Low
Layout: Similar to ergodox, ortho layout
Options: Programmable

So I have an ergodox and a Logitech k800. I use the ergo mainly for work due to its programmable nature; and sometimes the k800 for word processing. Every time I come back to the K800, somehow I enjoy typing on it more; I think it's the low profile and actuation feel of the switches. To describe the actuation, it's smooth, direct, responsive and very low travel; laptop style. What I would like to see is a wider or even a separate layout for each hands, and have the layout similar to a kinesis, matrix or ergodox.

Any makers of this kind? If not, how hard would it be to source out scissor switches and install it on plates?

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
Re: Does this keyboard exist?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 23:43:27 »
hmm... maybe check here? It does have low profile caps like you mentioned.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 01:38:48 »
hmm... maybe check here? It does have low profile caps like you mentioned.

The Kinesis Freestyle has nice rubber domes, but they don't have the low travel of scissor switches. It does have the separate halves and positioning ability similar to the ErgoDox. I have one and think it is a good ergo keyboard.

To answer the OP, unfortunately what you want doesn't exist, but there are some keyboards that have some of the features you are looking for. The TypeMatrix keyboard (http://www.typematrix.com/) is one that comes to mind. It has a matrix layout and has scissor switches. There is some added hand separation compared to a normal keyboard.

I think it ends up being very difficult to design and make a scissor switch or rubber dome keyboard as a DIYer. The keys don't come individually like with Cherry MX or Matias switches.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 01:43:31 »
hoggy more know i think
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 11:13:44 »

Can't think of anything that matches all of the criteria.  Type matrix (already mentioned by Sonofsonofspock) is the closest I can think of.
Keyboards that come mind -
 Comfort do a low force split keyboard, but I think it's a rubber dome
 Combimouse - still under development
 Microsoft sculpt.

If you can find a small xy scissor keyboard/keypad, you might be able to use a pair in conjunction. If you press shift on one and a char on another, then you should get an uppercase character.

Of you find anything, let us know.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 12:42:06 »
So I have an ergodox and a Logitech k800. I use the ergo mainly for work due to its programmable nature; and sometimes the k800 for word processing. Every time I come back to the K800, somehow I enjoy typing on it more; I think it's the low profile and actuation feel of the switches. To describe the actuation, it's smooth, direct, responsive and very low travel; laptop style. What I would like to see is a wider or even a separate layout for each hands, and have the layout similar to a kinesis, matrix or ergodox.
I don't know if there are different Logitech K800 out there, but the ones I have heard about have "PerfectStroke"(tm) scissor switches like the ones on the Logitech DiNovo Edge. Those have the best low profile keys I've ever tried. They are smooth, tactile and stable but the key travel is actually quite high for a scissor switch: 3.2 mm.
Compare that to Alps which has 3.5 mm and Cherry (and most other full-travel keys) which have 4.0 mm.

I think that the closest other switch in feel to the PerfectStroke is Topre.
The only ergonomic keyboard I have heard of with Topre switches is the µTRON. The key travel is 4 mm and the weight is less than PerfectStroke's. You might be able to install O-rings in the switches to reduce the travel.
I am sure that Dox was inspired mainly by the µTRON keyboard to put an inner column on each half of the ErgoDox. The µTron also has thumb keys where some key surfaces slant diagonally instead of the keys being rotated diagonally.
However ... The keys are smaller than normal (being made for Japan... ;) ) and the price is very high. (niche market, made in Japan).

Or... You could mod the switches on the ErgoDox to feel more like a scissor switches.
Open the switches, change the stem and spring to that from a "Cherry MX Clear", lube the stems, install "switch stickers" between the top and bottom half of the switch housing and put O-rings around the stems underneath the key caps.
The "Clear" switch stem has a larger bump which would improve tactility, the lube would improve smoothness, the stickers would make the keys less wobbly and the O-rings would reduce key travel.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 October 2014, 12:53:41 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline steve.v

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 15:44:13 »
Thx for the suggestions. I didn't realize typematrix offered scissor; which I'll look into. I just ordered some clear rubber o rings for my blues. I've been thinking of going ergo clears; no idea how I can source out some clears though. Thanks, all appreciated.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 18:49:51 »
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com sells various switches including Cherry MX clears.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 19:44:49 »
How do you like Cherry ML? I think those have about 2 or 2.5mm of travel. You could build a custom keyboard with them without inordinate difficulty. Making a custom keyboard out of scissor switches is a bit harder, because they’re not as modular.

I hear that if you lubricate the sliders, MLs can be pretty nice. (I’ve never tried that though; YMMV.)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 17:06:02 »
Goldtouch Go is scissor switch and split, but staggered.

I can definitely recommend the TypeMatrix 2030. It feels more tactile (snappy, with a quiet "thock") than my Logitech diNovo.

However, ErgoDox with stock clears is your best bet; Cherry ML feel like cheaper, compressed clears to me.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 15:18:13 »
Just found the 'ultra ergo keyboard', split, tentable, wireless (costs extra) and scissor switches, staggered layout, though.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0