Author Topic: TKL vs 60% vs 75%  (Read 24792 times)

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
TKL vs 60% vs 75%
« on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 07:40:53 »
I know that this question has probably been asked to death, but heh, I'm asking it again anyhow.

So yeah, what keyboard layout do you use and why do you use that layout?
你搞砸了

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
Re: TKL vs 60% vs 75%
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 09:02:24 »
Work: TKL. 
Need arrow keys and end/home/pgup/pgdown with left hand on shift, ctrl,  and alt.  Work in Finance.  75 would work but this draws less attention and supports full cap sets so I don't have funny colors.

Gaming: 75/mini.
F-row directly above numrow, compact layout perfect for gaming.

Home: 60%. 
King of aesthetics, doesn't take up much desk space.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 10:08:19 »
TKL: No

75%: No

60%: Compact, a lot more space to put my stuff, nice looking, when modding you don't need to solder/de-solder that much keys. Availability of plates, cases and pcbs.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 10:18:01 »
60%.

I love it because having to stretch my arms to the sides when using something bigger is way less comfortable. Also, I can have my mouse and monitor closer because of the smaller footprint of a 60%.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Elocutive

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 10:26:02 »
TKL. Doesn't take up much more room, and you still get much more functionality. Even though the 60% keyboards look cleaner, I would much rather see a tricked out TKL than a tricked out 60.
LZCE- Black, red, ergo clears

Wanting Skeldon

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 10:28:16 »
60% for the desk real estate
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline thefailinghero

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 11:00:36 »
TKL cause it gives me room on my desk, for programming the number line is more than enough, and I have a separate usb numpad I can hook up if I really need to (if im using excel a lot sometimes ill throw it in).  But I just don't really have a whole lot of use for the number pad, and I don't like the squished feel of the %  keyboards.

Offline ajx

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 11:33:03 »
I know that this question has probably been asked to death, but heh, I'm asking it again anyhow.

So yeah, what keyboard layout do you use and why do you use that layout?

No contest 60% if dedicated arrows without enabling fn (not very fond of this function for arrows)
Pure is my opinion one of most logical layout that includes dedicated arrows through alt, win, ctrl and  rshift even though the layout isnt standard (still a pain to get compatible keycaps)
I have switched to TKL, i must say, accessible dedicated arrows are good thing but TKL takes much more room then expected, 605 is tiny and compact.
I dont get why Poker II has implemented their dedicated arrows on WASD, otherwhise it would be one of the greatest 60% ever

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 11:53:36 »
I use 60% for pretty much anything, it's a hassle to switch out keyboards. Game on it, type on it, work on it. Just makes me realize how pointless a TKL is, having a good 60/67%. Laptop keyboard has the arrow keys staggered below and between the numpad/alphanumeric area, so I use its numpad for numbers sometimes since my HHKB is blank.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 14:33:22 »
Work: 60% (KBT Pure, best layout of all 60%'s IMHO, although the `~ key could be on caps lock instead for better keycap compatibility)
Home: 46% (48 key custom ergo)

I once forgot my 60% board home and had to use a full size rubber dome at work... haven't made that mistake again since.

I liked using a TKL for work stuff, too (text editing is easiest on TKL if you're used to normal layouts), but I chopped it up to make the ergo and I'm used to the 60% now.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 21:02:06 »
All very interesting! I thought 60% would pop up the most to be honest, I guess it comes to down to convenience and what not.

I guess I'll chip in then.

Home: 75% or TKL, depends on my mood. But I've started to only use the TKL just because it's newer essentially, lol.

Work: 75% if I'm going to be doing a lot of coding that day, if not, I just use my MBP keyboard.
你搞砸了

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 21:10:04 »
I use a full size board but if I had to choose between the choices in the title it would be 75% because it's compact but still has f-row, arrows and a few keys like home, end etc.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 21:27:12 »
I use a full size board but if I had to choose between the choices in the title it would be 75% because it's compact but still has f-row, arrows and a few keys like home, end etc.

How come you use a full size board as opposed to any of the other options? Is it a financial thing or you just cannot be bothered upgrading or whatever?
你搞砸了

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 21:34:12 »
65% is my favorite then 60%.  Having those extra arrow keys and that one extra column on the end is pretty useful, imo.

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 21:34:33 »
60% all day erry day.
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 21:36:18 »

How come you use a full size board as opposed to any of the other options? Is it a financial thing or you just cannot be bothered upgrading or whatever?

Even my laptop has a numberpad, so I guess I'm just stuck in my ways. :D

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 21:41:54 »
I use a full size currently for work, besides email, IM and documentation, I am constantly using the arrows, 6 pack and numpad in excel.  I want a 60% though, just because.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline yuiop

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 21:44:56 »
75% minus function row

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 23:44:39 »
75% minus function row

65%? Leopold FC660? I do admit it's a nice layout. Keeps the arrow keys and 2 edit keys while still being only a tiny bit bigger than most 60% boards.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline yuiop

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 23:57:01 »
75% minus function row

65%? Leopold FC660? I do admit it's a nice layout. Keeps the arrow keys and 2 edit keys while still being only a tiny bit bigger than most 60% boards.

Function keys are useless to me.  I prefer having dedicated arrow keys and I also use home and end keys quite a lot. 

This layout                                               ↓

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 00:17:26 »
75% minus function row

Function keys are useless to me.  I prefer having dedicated arrow keys and I also use home and end keys quite a lot. 

I keep saying this, too.  65% is awesome.  22mini is awesome.  Everything is awesome.  Just having those few extra keys helps so much.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 00:29:36 »
I like my HHKB.  But I like TKL too.

I tend to use TKL under Windows, because I have too many years using too many text navigation keys to learn new tricks.

On Mac I can use HHKB easily, because most text navigation I can accomplish with Ctrl- sequences, and the Ctrl key is in such a nice place too.

Some of my boards are full size, but they just seem too big now, especially the Model M.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ebacho

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 01:32:20 »
75% minus function row

I keep saying this, too.  65% is awesome.  22mini is awesome.  Everything is awesome.  Just having those few extra keys helps so much.

This pretty much.  I alternate between 60% and 75% generally but I really miss my 22mini.

Offline DWawa

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 04:53:52 »
No contest 60% if dedicated arrows without enabling fn (not very fond of this function for arrows)
Pure is my opinion one of most logical layout that includes dedicated arrows through alt, win, ctrl and  rshift even though the layout isnt standard (still a pain to get compatible keycaps)
I have switched to TKL, i must say, accessible dedicated arrows are good thing but TKL takes much more room then expected, 605 is tiny and compact.
I dont get why Poker II has implemented their dedicated arrows on WASD, otherwise it would be one of the greatest 60% ever
[/quote]

Ditto on the Pure and the Poker II WASD arrow fail. Another difference between the two is that Pure is PCB-mounted. To me the Poker II's plate makes typing feel more precise but also more harsh. And with Pure you get the bonus key beside the right shift--in effect a double bonus key with the Fn layer.

Offline ajx

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 14:51:36 »
I like both but i agree, Poker II feels sturdier due to its plate-mounted and PBT keycaps but its minor difference for me, at least, i like Pure layout more than anything^^

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 16:34:46 »

I use a full size currently for work, besides email, IM and documentation, I am constantly using the arrows, 6 pack and numpad in excel.  I want a 60% though, just because.

I'm in the same boat, for work I need the full size.  I use arrow key, home, end, number pad, and number pad enter quite a lot.

Though I got curious so I bought a Poker 2 for home to find out what the big deal is.

However now after trying Poker 2, I think 65% (Leopold FC660C) is the best compromise for me since I miss the dedicated arrow key and delete key.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline DWawa

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 16:47:10 »
I regret not hoarding Pures when they were in production and at list price. With Sprit's GB (moderate $$ pain) I'm essentially trying to replicate what I already have. My guess is that over time we will get more programmable boards, so anybody will be able to get the layout, but since most users are really into tank-like plate mounting the true Pure experience, with the forgiving PCB-mounting, may be available only with the original item.

Offline ajx

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 16:53:13 »
I sold my Pure one year ago then i switched to Poker II and realized how good Pure layout was
I eventually found on Amazon one of last Pure available on the market (MX-Red non backlit)
Dont worry, new Pure is coming soon in near future with most likely with improvements, i hope so anyway (Pure Pro is plate-mounted and in my opinion looks as sturdy as Poker II if not more)
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 October 2014, 16:54:55 by ajx »

Offline DWawa

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 18:06:18 »
You have lifted my despair.

Offline ajx

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 18:29:33 »
Are you from Europe?
Still available on there (Amazon germany, spanish and uk)

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 19:30:56 »
I love TKL, can't get used to 60% and 75%

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 19:34:28 »
I sold my Pure one year ago then i switched to Poker II and realized how good Pure layout was
I eventually found on Amazon one of last Pure available on the market (MX-Red non backlit)
Dont worry, new Pure is coming soon in near future with most likely with improvements, i hope so anyway (Pure Pro is plate-mounted and in my opinion looks as sturdy as Poker II if not more)

The Pure bottom row bothers the **** out of me, unfortunately.  Otherwise, that extra fn key in row 4 is really handy dandy.  I have two Pures just sitting around collecting dust since I converted to plate mount. 

Offline DWawa

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 20:25:02 »
Are you from Europe?
Still available on there (Amazon germany, spanish and uk)

U.S. I am not quite desperate to add to my stock of two (one perfect, one with a sketchy switch). I did have the opportunity to get another Pure in my flavor (Blues, non-Pro, non-ISO) from Amazon.de and I was sifting through the process when I bought my second one from a GH'er. I do still window-shop the UK and De Amazon sites, though, and I'll have to browse Es as well. Very good tip in any case. (I actually secured the first from Tai Bao. At the time I was not sure how available they would be in the U.S.)