Author Topic: Replace or Solder CMS-001 USB [Update, More pics]  (Read 2427 times)

Offline NeedAFix

• Ten Seconds until Midnight
Replace or Solder CMS-001 USB [Update, More pics]
« on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 23:10:57 »
Greetings everybody.

Short and sweet: The mini USB you see in the pictures below is broken and I need to either replace that pcb, resolder a mini usb, or figure out a way to get around the setup entirely by using the cables pictured in the third image. I can provide anymore pictures or info needed.

I am here to discuss a fix for a CM Storm keyboard that I have. The connection for the keyboard is broken and I am wondering if I could replace it or re-solder a new connection on.

I've attached an image of the connection PCB, let me know what you think I should do. It belonged to a CM Storm Quick Fire Ultimate, which I dropped the internals into a Quick Fire Pro to get it working, now I am trying to fix the connection so I can reclaim the Quick Fire Pro. I can provide more pictures if required. The connection goes to a 5 pin cable that connects to the keyboards main PCB.

What should I do?

Is it easy enough to re-solder a mini usb connection back onto this pcb or should I try to find an old keyboard for parts? CM Storm wouldn't help, which is a shame, I use to be a big fan.

Another thing I was wondering, is what exactly is the 5pin connection that is on the PCB, I can provide a picture of it if required.

Thanks for the time and effort, it is appreciated.

EDIT: I added two more pictures...hope someone will help me.
For the third picture I am wondering if there is anyway I could refashion that 5 pin cable to work with a usb cable or some other trick to get this keyboard working. It is pretty lame that CM couldn't just sell me that little usb connection pcb, very lame. I'll never buy another CM product ever again just for that. Corsair's K70 RGB is better in every way, anyhow.

« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 11:55:36 by NeedAFix »
The Bird of the Hermes is my name,
eating my wings to make me tame.

Offline NeedAFix

Re: Replace or Solder CMS-001 USB
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 02:33:54 »
BTW if anyone has or can source this part or a broken keyboard to use as parts I am willing to purchase it.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Replace or Solder CMS-001 USB [Update, More pics]
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 12:53:28 »
You can attempt to replace the USB Mini B receptacle (SMD connection) if you are handy with a soldering iron, and have lots of flux ready. Otherwise, you can forgo the detachable USB daughterboard altogether, and use a Filco cable with a 5-pin Molex connector directly to the main PCB. I think some of the cable makers here sell Filco cables, for example tjcaustin @ MiMiC-Cables, and Pexon @ PexonPCs.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline NeedAFix

Re: Replace or Solder CMS-001 USB [Update, More pics]
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 13:17:55 »
Wow thank you a lot, why didn't I think of that? (Isn't that what is always said).

So basically, if I am understanding correctly, it is a USB cable that simply goes into the connector on the keyboards main pcb? That would be awesome.
I'd like to believe that I am handy with a soldering iron but honestly I have never actually used one to actually repair/replace/etc. I'm sure I could do it, if I had to.