Author Topic: Backlight + keycap?  (Read 2485 times)

Offline Keyboardnoobb

Backlight + keycap?
« on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 21:32:51 »
Hello everyone. I'm a noob here, and I am debating between two keyboards for my first mechanical keyboard. My debate is between the cm storm rapid-i and ducky shine 3. I prefer the fact that the shine 3 has a blue backlight, but it doesn't have that "Active light" tech which basically lights up the whole keyboard and not just the keys.

The reason for my concern is that I'm want to get custom key caps, but there is one possible positive. The main key caps I'm wanting are the "stealth" key caps or "side printed key caps." my question is whether anyone knows if the lighting from the ducky will shine through the letters on the side printed key caps? If not, will I be able to see the backlight at all with the shine or should I just go ahead and get the rapid-i?

PS I don't really want see through key caps.

Thank you so much for any suggestions.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: Backlight + keycap?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 22:14:10 »
I can't personally recall anyone that has made side printed "backlight compatible" caps.  Though the biggest factor on if the legend illuminates is if the LED is above or below the switch.  If it is above then probably won't work that well.  Below it should work great. 

Though "backlight compatible" caps are generally inferior quality due to the coating to prevent the backlight from showing where you don't want it to tends to flake off after a while.  Though I believe Vortex makes pbt double shot backlight caps but those legends are on the top.  I can't recall any double shot legends in a side print as well.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 01:43:33 »
I have a Ducky Shine 3. The LED is on the top of the switch, not the bottom, so you won't be able to see it through side printed keycaps.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Keyboardnoobb

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 07:16:59 »
Thanks so much for the replies! I am correct in thinking the cooler master one will still be seen in between the keys correct?

Offline NeedAFix

• Ten Seconds until Midnight
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 09:43:43 »
Yes CM has backlighting for their keyboards, if that is what you meant.
The Bird of the Hermes is my name,
eating my wings to make me tame.

Offline Keyboardnoobb

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 10:25:10 »
Yes CM has backlighting for their keyboards, if that is what you meant.
No, I was meaning on the CM Storm Rapid-I, how it has the metal plate in it that actually lets the backlight not just shine through the keys, but in between the keys as well. I was wondering if this would mean that if I put blank key caps on it, would I still see the lighting in between the keycaps?

Offline Keyboardnoobb

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 14:36:05 »
Anyone?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 04:58:16 »
I have not seen any side-printed keycaps that are backlight friendly.

If you happen to find some, I don't think they would work very well with a Ducky Shine as the switch would be sitting between the LED and the legend, casting a shadow on it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Keyboardnoobb

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 09:05:40 »
Okay everyone. My last post was supposed to be the last, and I apologize, but I know what switch I want and the set up that I want. My only real hang up is the keyboard. I am going to get WASD's keycaps (blank), but I can't decide which keyboard to get. Either the WASD one, CM or ducky.

The WASD is obvious. It'll ultimately be cheaper because I have to buy their key caps anyway.

I like the CM because it has the backlighting, and I think that I will like it because I will be able to see the lighting, even with the keycaps (unlike the ducky).

But I like the ducky because it's blue backlight versus the white of the CM, but it won't show up with the keycaps (though I may use the originals ones later on).

I guess I'm just curious as to what everyone thought of eack keyboard etc?

Thanks again for any answers...

I have not seen any side-printed keycaps that are backlight friendly.

If you happen to find some, I don't think they would work very well with a Ducky Shine as the switch would be sitting between the LED and the legend, casting a shadow on it.

I'm sorry. I kind of mixed up questions in the middle of that. I'm wondering if anyone knows whether the CM Storm Rapid-i's backlight can be seen with custom keycaps. I know the light won't shine through the key caps, but they tout that "Active light technology" where the light shines in between the key caps as well. I was hoping I could see the backlight that way, but I'm sure someone would have to actually have that keyboard with custom caps to tell me.

Offline epicepee

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 16:53:13 »
I have side-printed Max Keyboards translucent caps.  I'm not sure if you can see the letter in the dark, but you can definitely see the light.

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 17:06:23 »
You will get an under glow effect with the ducky, not sure about he CM Storm.
eh o well

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 04:03:16 »
You will get undercap glow from both keyboards, the only difference is that the CMStorm one has a white plate that reflects more light. All the backlighting is from the LED's that are mounted at the top of the switch under the keycaps on both boards.

So buy whichever appeals to you more. Personally I'd go with the Ducky since I think it's better quality and better value for money.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.