Author Topic: HHKB Pro 2 - Del & Ctrl+Del  (Read 4928 times)

Offline Hordak

HHKB Pro 2 - Del & Ctrl+Del
« on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 14:19:07 »
So I'm currently contemplating over whether to get the HHKB Pro 2. I'm a programmer, soI have to use a lot of keyboard shortcuts in my job, like:
  • Single Fn keys
  • Ctrl+Alt + F1-F8
  • Ctrl+BS
  • Ctrl+Shift + Arrow
  • Del
  • Ctrl+Del
  • Ctrl+Shift+Alt + S
  • Shift+PgUp/PgDn
Now I think most of these will be fine to type on the HHKB Pro 2, since after all, it is a "hacking" keyboard, but I'm a bit worried about the Delete key. Del and Ctrl+Del is pretty much my bread & butter. Will I have a problem with these, or do I worry over nothing?

A secondary question: it's not really worth it to shove out another 90€ for the Type-S version, right?

« Last Edit: Sat, 18 October 2014, 14:21:51 by hordak »

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
Re: HHKB Pro 2 - Del & Ctrl+Del
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 14:28:37 »
I think if you're going to get the HHKB, might as well get Type-S because it's actually different. I personally can't do ctrl/alt/f keys, since you have to reach for four separate keys and spider your hand around the board, and you will have a problem with delete or backspace, depending on which you set the key to. Perhaps you might find better use of a TKL (RF 87/88) or FC660C layout.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 14:29:18 »
If you don't need backspace, you'll be fine. The Delete key is pretty easy to get used to.

And, IMO, the Type-S feels tighter than the standard version.  The tolerances may be a little tighter or something since it feels like there's a little less wobble and it just is a little nicer to type on.  Now if it's worth $100 more, that's up to how much money is worth to you.

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 14:37:36 »
that's up to how much money is worth to you.

Huh, that's an excellent quote. Saving for future use!

Offline Hordak

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 14:39:50 »
I think if you're going to get the HHKB, might as well get Type-S because it's actually different. I personally can't do ctrl/alt/f keys, since you have to reach for four separate keys and spider your hand around the board, and you will have a problem with delete or backspace, depending on which you set the key to. Perhaps you might find better use of a TKL (RF 87/88) or FC660C layout.

I figured that if I dip switch Fn with the Meta key on the left of the space bar (you can do that, right?), then Ctrl+Alt+Fn+F{x} combos should be pretty straight forward?

If you don't need backspace, you'll be fine. The Delete key is pretty easy to get used to.

And, IMO, the Type-S feels tighter than the standard version.  The tolerances may be a little tighter or something since it feels like there's a little less wobble and it just is a little nicer to type on.  Now if it's worth $100 more, that's up to how much money is worth to you.

Oh, sadly I do need them all: Backspace, Del and Ctrl+Del, so it seems it is a no-go then for me after all  :-\

Offline Kmynis

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 15:30:39 »

wat?The backspace is just above the enter...

Answering op's question, those ctrl+shift+arrow shortcuts feel so gooood on a hhkb. ctrl+alt+f-key may be a little problematic.
HHKB Type-S
Filco TKL MX Red

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 15:43:37 »
I was speaking in terms of ease of keystrokes.  You have to hold FN and hit Delete to get backspace.  If you have key combos of Ctrl+something+backspace it becomes unwieldy.  Fn + Delete for backspace is already a little wonky to use.

I haven't gone deep into tge dip switches, but if you can swap the right Meta for Fn, it's way more manageable.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 October 2014, 15:45:47 by nubbinator »

Offline Hordak

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 15:56:23 »
Thanks for all your replies, but MKAD is hitting again, so I guess I'll just go with the Type-S and see how it works out, otherwise I'll just keep wondering. Now there's only one more decision: blank or otaku. Jesus, why is this so damn hard   :confused:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 16:04:55 »
Thanks for all your replies, but MKAD is hitting again, so I guess I'll just go with the Type-S and see how it works out, otherwise I'll just keep wondering. Now there's only one more decision: blank or otaku. Jesus, why is this so damn hard   :confused:

Blank and Otaku are the same thing.  Do you mean blank or black on dark grey/black?

Offline cphead

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 16:06:35 »

welcome to type-S masterrace

Offline Hordak

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 16:08:34 »
Blank and Otaku are the same thing.  Do you mean blank or black on dark grey/black?

Oops yes, I meant labeled vs otaku.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 16:11:07 »
You'll love the Type-S.  I say black legends on dark grey.  blank is cool, but sometimes you just have to cheat.  I think it lools nicer too.

Offline cphead

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 16:12:29 »
You'll love the Type-S.  I say black legends on dark grey.  blank is cool, but sometimes you just have to cheat.  I think it lools nicer too.

There's a dark gray type-s?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 16:21:40 »
I thought thete was, but that you had to get it imported.  I could be wrong.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 16:24:43 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2015, 10:48:22 by esoomenona »

Offline Hordak

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 16:36:58 »
Woohoo, the white labeled Type-S for $384, pending customs, it is  :-\

Offline Hordak

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 16:37:20 »
dp

Offline Kmynis

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 17:06:20 »
I was speaking in terms of ease of keystrokes.  You have to hold FN and hit Delete to get backspace.  If you have key combos of Ctrl+something+backspace it becomes unwieldy.  Fn + Delete for backspace is already a little wonky to use.

I haven't gone deep into tge dip switches, but if you can swap the right Meta for Fn, it's way more manageable.

The way I set up my dip switches is that I got my backspace above the enter and I need no fn for it. However the delete key becomes `+fn which is not too comfy for general use, but still usable for ctrl alt del combo.
HHKB Type-S
Filco TKL MX Red

Offline Hordak

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 05:34:25 »
Hmm, I've read up a bit on the Type-S and am not sure if I should change my order to the standard version, for these two reasons:
  • The newer Type-S models supposedly produce an annoying "whistling" or "whooshing" sound, that although it seems to lighten up over time, it never goes away completely. For the price, that would be unacceptable to me, also because I could some money if I had to RMA it.
  • I feel uneasy about the effect that the silencing mechanism has on the typing experience, especially because the last time I tried some (red) o-rings and EK's soft landing pads on my Cherry switches, I couldn't stand the kind of cut-off feeling of the modded keys. It's difficult to describe, but it had a substantual negative impact on my typing rythm. I made a lot more errors. Does the Type-S feel anything similar to o-rings or landing pads?

I'd appreciate your insights once more!
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 October 2014, 05:36:35 by hordak »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 07:19:03 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2015, 10:47:53 by esoomenona »

Offline Hordak

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 08:36:43 »
Good point, that sounds very logical.

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 11:48:56 »
Hmm, I've read up a bit on the Type-S and am not sure if I should change my order to the standard version, for these two reasons:
  • The newer Type-S models supposedly produce an annoying "whistling" or "whooshing" sound, that although it seems to lighten up over time, it never goes away completely. For the price, that would be unacceptable to me, also because I could some money if I had to RMA it.
  • I feel uneasy about the effect that the silencing mechanism has on the typing experience, especially because the last time I tried some (red) o-rings and EK's soft landing pads on my Cherry switches, I couldn't stand the kind of cut-off feeling of the modded keys. It's difficult to describe, but it had a substantual negative impact on my typing rythm. I made a lot more errors. Does the Type-S feel anything similar to o-rings or landing pads?

I'd appreciate your insights once more!

I have a Type-S, bought about a month ago. No whistling, but at first there was a click in the spacebar if you press it at the very left , which I'm prone to. It's very different from typing with dental bands or o-rings; it's softer, has a full-length travel (silenced Topre is lengthened for that purpose), and sounds much better.

Offline Hordak

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 12:04:52 »
Thanks for the intel, Premonition :thumb: You sold me then, I'll risk it.

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 18:47:58 »
Thanks for the intel, Premonition :thumb: You sold me then, I'll risk it.

:D Hope you like it and I didn't just make PFU some extra bucks.