Author Topic: Filco Badge Removal on TKL  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
Filco Badge Removal on TKL
« on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 18:01:59 »
I can't seem to pry the badge off without destroying it  :confused: How am I meant to go about doing this??? Help would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 October 2014, 02:47:24 by Jersern »

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
Re: Filco Badge Removal on TKL
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 18:07:16 »
Many (not all) can be popped out from the back of the top half of the shell. There will be two little cutouts in the shell with little nubs on the back of logo inserted into them. I have a fairly new Filco MJ2 ninja case that can have the logo popped out from the back but I also have an older Japanese Filco MJ2 case (non-ninja) that is different and the logo cant be popped out from the back.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Jersern

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 18:11:18 »
Mine is the TKL case so it doesn't have the tabs. :( It would have been so much easier if it had them. What I'm trying to ask is how do I run a knife under or around it to lift the badge without leaving awful dents and marks everywhere.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 18:25:18 »
Mine is the TKL case so it doesn't have the tabs. :( It would have been so much easier if it had them. What I'm trying to ask is how do I run a knife under or around it to lift the badge without leaving awful dents and marks everywhere.

Both of the cases I referenced are TKL. If yours doesnt have the tabs to push on I can't really imagine a good way to get the badge off without making a mess out of it, they are very soft metal held on with decently strong double-sided adhesive. Something like a hair dryer or heat gun would really increase your odds of getting the badge off without destroying anything but it will still be a challenge I think.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Jersern

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 18:41:37 »
Alright, thanks for the help. I'll try heating it up a bit and see how that goes. I already made a small dent in the corner of the badge. :( Maybe I could create some leverage holes at the back by drilling some holes in and pushing the badge out while heating :D

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 18:45:11 »
Alright, thanks for the help. I'll try heating it up a bit and see how that goes. I already made a small dent in the corner of the badge. :( Maybe I could create some leverage holes at the back by drilling some holes in and pushing the badge out while heating :D

Good luck, keep us updated on your progress  :thumb:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 19:14:46 »
Here is a method that can be dangerous, but often works quite well for me.

Naptha, old-fashioned cigarette lighter fluid (like the yellow plastic bottles by Ronsonol) is great for dissolving the type of adhesives found under stickers, but it can be damaging to plastics. Test first!

If the label is in an indentation, I put in a couple of drops and let it swim and seep in around the edges for 10-20 seconds. This should loosen the adhesive, at least at the edge, and I start prying it up with a sharp blade such as an Xacto knife. Sometimes I add a few more drops. Don't let it run away and get onto something important such as a circuit board!

After the sticker is up, use a paper towel and more naptha to remove all traces of adhesive, then use soap and water or alcohol to remove all traces of naptha. Work quickly, if you can do the whole thing in a minute or two your chances of damaging the surrounding plastic are greatly reduced.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Jersern

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 02:47:01 »
I ended up just painting over the badge. Honestly, it looks kinda cool. BTW I painted it arctic white.