Author Topic: How can i use my old keyboard  (Read 978 times)

Offline sercim

How can i use my old keyboard
« on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 07:14:18 »
Hello ladies and gents...
I am totally new here and i am sorry if i made a mistake while opening tread here. First of all i am also new at hacking a keyboard and dont know the terminology sorry about that. Well, i have a ACER keyboard from 1998 and it is Turkish Q keyboard with the socket of DIN 5. I have also an adaptor to turn it to PS2 but i cannot use it with my Asus P5Q3 board. I know it was working before but not now. And i am not sure now if it is working or not. Anyway is there a way to safe its life ? Can i use it with P5Q3 mainboard and if the answer is yes what should i do ?
Thanks in advance for the responses from now...

PS: For the moderator: I am sorry i had opened 3 times same topic. But it is not my fault because the website gave me error. 504 timeout error. So i didnt knew the thread was sent. So please delete other topics. Sorry again.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 October 2014, 07:44:06 by sercim »

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: How can i use my old keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 07:32:37 »
The adapter will usually work, but sometimes a wire can become loose.

Also, it is good to turn the computer off, plug in the keyboard, and turn it on again.

USB is recognized "hot" but the PS/2 is only recognized at boot-up.

Also, it is not good to plug in a PS/2 keyboard "hot" anyway.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline sercim

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 08:05:14 »
Voilaaa :))) Thank you so much. Your advice worked well. Now i am typing my old keyboard by you. Well i wonder now can use it with usb ?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 10:50:19 »
Good to read that it was such a simple problem.

There are lots of PS/2 - USB adapters out there.
Beware though that there are two general types of adapters in the market: one that really does work because of electronics inside the adapter, and one cheaper, smaller that is not intended for PS/2 keyboards but for keyboards that support both protocols over the same cable.
🍉

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 18:22:01 »
http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/usb-to-ps2-serial-multimode-adapter

That one is recommended - I have three of them, and they let all sorts of old keyboards with with my Mac.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Tony

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 06:47:06 »
Adapters won't work all the time. I had my own share of problems when using PS2-to-USB adapters. You have to live with that.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline sercim

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 08:27:47 »
I am really appreciate for your responses guys. I want to explain to you why did i want to use my old keyboard.
Actually before this i was using Logitech Wave multimedia keyboard (wired). And suddenly it is stopped working. Windows gives me always your device has not been recognised. I tested it both my pc and laptop and usb slots also. Only the logitech keyboard doesnt work. So the keyboard went to garbage (not really). I dont understand what is wrong with it. I have just put it in its box. May be i can fix it later if i understand the problem.
In this manner maybe you can help me to understand why it has stopped to work. 

Offline mougrim

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 11:53:58 »
Oh, and about adapters... "Blue cube" also great one. http://www.amazon.com/Ziotek-PS2-Keyboard-USB-Adapter/dp/B000BSJFJS
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)