Author Topic: Do the FILCOs support PS/2 scan code set 3?  (Read 2531 times)

Offline glhughes

Do the FILCOs support PS/2 scan code set 3?
« on: Sat, 04 July 2009, 23:46:44 »
I've got an SGI Octane that needs a new keyboard.  Problem is it only supports PS/2 scan code set 3 whereas the majority of keyboards (espcially USB keyboards) will only do PS/2 scan code set 2.  Does anyone know whether the FILCOs (tenkeyless tactile touch) will support set 3?  Has anyone tried one of these with an older SGI?

Thanks.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 July 2009, 10:36:39 »
According to this page, USB uses its own scan codes. If this is true, I assume the computer has to translate these into the other scan code sets as needed.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 July 2009, 11:45:23 »
I'd expect the Filco to use a standard PS/2 scan code set when it's being used with the USB->PS/2 adapter.

Offline glhughes

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 05 July 2009, 13:21:39 »
@Rajagra:

Yep, I understand that USB has its own scancode set / protocol, however the keyboard needs to know how to send a PS/2 scancode set when it's operating in PS/2 mode (e.g. with the adapter).  The computer should have nothing to do with this save negotiating the protocol it wants.

@skriefal:

There are at least 3 'standard' PS/2 scan code sets.  Set 2 is the de facto standard for PCs these days but 3 is also used sometimes (e.g. for older SGI machines).  Typically, the PS/2-only keyboards will do all three sets while the cheapie USB keyboards with PS/2 support added as an afterthought seem to only do set 2.  I'm hoping the FILCOs are better than those cheapie boards in more than just build quality.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 05 July 2009, 13:29:46 »
Cherry G80-3000s claim codeset 3 support for PS/2 operation (along with G80-1800 and G81-1800 models).
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline skriefal

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 05 July 2009, 15:36:29 »
Quote from: glhughes;101300
@skriefal:

There are at least 3 'standard' PS/2 scan code sets.  Set 2 is the de facto standard for PCs these days but 3 is also used sometimes (e.g. for older SGI machines).  Typically, the PS/2-only keyboards will do all three sets while the cheapie USB keyboards with PS/2 support added as an afterthought seem to only do set 2.

I realize this.  I was responding to Rajagra's post, which seemed to suggest that the keyboard would use USB scancodes even if connected via a USB->PS/2 adapter.  But I didn't make that very clear.

Perhaps this is a sign to look for an SGI AT101 on eBay? :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 July 2009, 15:38:39 by skriefal »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 05 July 2009, 15:48:49 »
Do SGI AT-101s send out both type 2 and type 3 scancodes?

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 July 2009, 17:00:33 »
Quote from: ch_123;101315
Do SGI AT-101s send out both type 2 and type 3 scancodes?

If they work on both the SGI and machines and ordinary PCs, they pretty much have to support both. The code set (1..3) can be selected by the host, see e.g. here.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline glhughes

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 10 July 2009, 00:22:50 »
UPDATE:

Thought I should report back.  I bought a FILCO Tenkeyless Touch (brown Cherries) from EliteKeyboards and it arrived today.  This one's for use at the office but I figured I'd try it out on the Octane first just for kicks.  Outcome: it works!  I'm typing this post on the Octane using the FILCO.  Fantastic!  :biggrin1:  It appears that the FILCOs do support set 3 after all.

This keyboard is pretty amazing.  First thing I noticed was how solid it feels just taking it out of the box.  And the typing experience is just so much better than the membrane keyboards I'm used to; I can't believe what I've been missing.  I just can't stop typing.  :smile:  In fact, I like it so much that I'm going to buy another one tomorrow specifically for the Octane.