Author Topic: sleeved mini/micro usb  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Keyboardnoobb

sleeved mini/micro usb
« on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 14:25:34 »
Whatsup everyone. I have been absolutely loving my Ducky 3, and I've noticed that for some reason, it didn't come with a braided cable. This isn't much of a problem for me, as I'm pretty familiar with sleeving my own cables, but what I was wondering if anyone would be interested in braided mini/micro usb cables. I'm thinking about possibly starting a small Web store and offering some nice custom ones, and was wondering if there's a market for this or maybe I'm the only one?

Offline saturnotaku

Re: sleeved mini/micro usb
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 14:29:35 »
Already beaten you to it.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 14:30:12 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2015, 09:39:29 by esoomenona »

Offline Keyboardnoobb

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 14:34:38 »
Oh ok. Well cool. I had seen a couple sites, but they didn't look very good. Those do look nice though. I could probably do it for cheaper, but if they're already well known and whatnot, I'm not looking to step on toes.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 October 2014, 14:40:45 by Keyboardnoobb »

Offline Keyboardnoobb

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 14:44:30 »
Already done the best here: http://www.mimic-cables.com/

There are also some other not so good ones running around. Basically, if you do try, you're already off to a bad start. Best to just buy one from Mimic and move on with your life.

Well I'd make my own before anything. I'm not new to sleeving cables, but ya I'd be for an uphill battle.

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
  • Java programming and fancy key caps!
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 15:05:06 »
I know of two popular people who sleeve cables, Zeal cables and Mimic cables. There might be more. But competition is a good thing. If you're better and cheaper, have cooler colors, more customization options, then people will come to you. I was looking at Zeal, but it's just too darn expensive. It's only $20 or so for the cable, but it costs $15 for shipping from Canada, and $35 for a USB cable is just something I can't convince myself to do.

I think competition is a good thing, and if you want to start, don't let the fact that someone else is already doing something similar stop you. Just like there's Walmart, Target, Whole Foods, and so many more grocery stores that all basically do the same thing.

Elsea Keys - Artisan key caps, keyboards, custom painting - Click any image to purchase or view

Offline Keyboardnoobb

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 15:22:35 »
I know of two popular people who sleeve cables, Zeal cables and Mimic cables. There might be more. But competition is a good thing. If you're better and cheaper, have cooler colors, more customization options, then people will come to you. I was looking at Zeal, but it's just too darn expensive. It's only $20 or so for the cable, but it costs $15 for shipping from Canada, and $35 for a USB cable is just something I can't convince myself to do.

I think competition is a good thing, and if you want to start, don't let the fact that someone else is already doing something similar stop you. Just like there's Walmart, Target, Whole Foods, and so many more grocery stores that all basically do the same thing.

Well if the others are based in Canada, I am based in the US, so I could be cheaper on shipping for some. My only thing is if the owner is a forum member and is well known etc. Not looking to start something here, as everyone seems really great.

But hey. If they're in another country, we can both sell to different markets. Hopefully others can weigh in on their opinion.

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 15:24:11 »

Well if the others are based in Canada, I am based in the US, so I could be cheaper on shipping for some. My only thing is if the owner is a forum member and is well known etc. Not looking to start something here, as everyone seems really great.

But hey. If they're in another country, we can both sell to different markets. Hopefully others can weigh in on their opinion.

You have to start somewhere to get well known... Nobody starts off as a big wig! Personally, I'd love to see some US based cable selling. Good luck on your endeavors.

Elsea Keys - Artisan key caps, keyboards, custom painting - Click any image to purchase or view

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 15:29:35 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2015, 09:38:54 by esoomenona »

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 15:32:42 »
>2014
>implying Mimic isn't US-based
>complaining about international shipping prices when local options are available

ishygddt

I never said the reason I didn't order from Mimic was because of that. Possibly this...

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 15:34:49 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2015, 09:38:08 by esoomenona »

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 15:37:50 »
Ah, good deal. I would take that to mean a lot of people are happy with the quality of the product.

I never doubted their quality. They look fine in the pictures. Just ever since I started looking around in this market, which was about a month ago, it has had that message there, and I'd rather not have to wait four weeks for a cable.

And even if there was no problem with Mimic, and I owned a cable, I wouldn't say it would be a bad idea for someone else to open another cable business. They have the possibility to bring something new or creative to the market, or simply create another option for people, which I think is a good thing.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 15:39:32 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2015, 09:37:10 by esoomenona »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 15:41:25 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2015, 09:37:26 by esoomenona »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 15:52:28 »
I actually just changed everything to 2 weeks max.  If I have the color you want and the parts needed on hand, I'm finishing most cables same/next day.  I'm in the US, I charge $26 shipped for paracord cables, no matter if they're braided, coiled, both or straight and I'm fairly prompt with questions through email, skype, reddit or gh.